Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a RL550 really faster than a SDB?

I have a Dillon SDB and have loaded many thousands of 9mm/45ACP/357Mag/380ACP rounds with it, but now I am wanting to be able to add rifle reloading--mainly 308, 7.62x54R and 223/5.56. I do shoot some Steel Challenge and may add-on IDPA soon, but my round count is probably on the low side as compared to many here. I am leaning heavily towards the RL550 as a replacement to my SDB, but unsure how the 550 is advertised as having a faster round production number per hour when the shellplate is manually indexed. It seems the SDB might actually be faster than a 550 without the case feeder since the SDB is auto indexing. So, my main question is: is a baseline RL550C really 'faster' than a SDB?

Sure, I could get the 550's case feeder, but then I might as well just get the XL650. Since that is significantly more, and I am not sure I need the advantages, I am looking at the 550 without the case feeder. Any feedback appreciated!

I say 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. - a wash speed-wise.
That manual index will come so natural in a few days you will advance the shellplate automatically without thinking about it.
Then when you do rifle rounds you can take your time at each station without auto indexing advancing when you are not wanting it.

My real answer to that would be sell the square deal and get a 650 for all. Or if you want to keep the square deal, get the 550 for just rifle. 550's a fine press, but I prefer auto index, one less thing to do, and saves you from the dreaded double charge

Manual indexing is no slower than auto indexing, as for both your hand is already in the correct position to set a bullet on the case mouth anyway, so pushing the index sprocket is nothing. The primary advantage in speed for the RL550C is the frame has a much larger window, so it is faster to feed cases and bullets.

I have both, my old 1986 550 and a 2001 Square Deal. The SD is somewhat faster because you have to index the 550, however the 550 has a much larger work space. For me I have to get back in the timing of the 550. Neither are nowhere as fast as a 650 or 1050. But my method is to look at each and every case when loading so I never get Open 9s, or shieette head stamps, like IMT, FM or AmmoLoad, and also separate the mil crimp stuff. My kid runs a 1050 with mr bullet feeder, and it looks really cool for 10 minutes until it hits a 38super case..... I also run BE-86 on the 550 versus TiteGroup on the SD, but only load for one hour at a time, that's enough for the next 2 matches. 

image37491.jpg

Edited by 9x45

• 2 weeks later...

650 is my favorite. I've had the SDB, 550, but this 650 will load 100rds in 4.5 min. Taking just a little time to make sure the bullet feeds properly. The camera lets me see the bullet and the powder. I love
itIMG_7440.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rifle reloading can be significantly different than pistol reloading.  

The case preparation required before you add powder and seat a bullet can be extensive if you are using range scrap. 
There is a lot of examining cases as you process them.  
You also only get 4-5 reloads with rifle cases before they need to be annealed for them to be safe. 
Range Scrap requires verification do to not knowing how many reloads have taken place.
So you have to exam each loaded case to see if it has cracks from mouth flaring, bullet seating & crimping the case.

You may find you want or need a Single Stage or Turret Press to perform case prep and load development.
You will be picking up each case for measuring cases, examining primer pockets, & verifying primer seating.
You can fully load rifle on a single stage at about 100 per hour.  
A Turret Press will double that to 200.

The beauty of the 550 platform is it works like a turret press doing 4 rounds at a time.   
You can pull cases to examine them and then index the shell plate. 
While all this stoping and examining is slow you can achieve 250-300 per hour. 

If you plan to purchase new brass or fully processed brass then you can avoid much of this.
Pour them into a 650 and reload them as fast as you can. 

Then you decide if you want to examine, measure the length and verify primer depth of each case.

Shooting large quantities of rifle reloads can be a lot of work.

A rule of thumb that LEE Precision gives is 500 rounds per week before you a consider a progressive press.  
It is easy to shoot 500 on a Saturday if you compete. 
Many shooters use winter to load brass and summer to empty it so they have time to load 15,000 in the winter and only 5,000 during the summer season.
If your shooting is less you might want a single stage or turret for rifle.

• 2 weeks later...
650 is my favorite. I've had the SDB, 550, but this 650 will load 100rds in 4.5 min. Taking just a little time to make sure the bullet feeds properly. The camera lets me see the bullet and the powder. I love
itIMG_7440.thumb.JPG.e2b470fc2febec2b63550f122f45a6be.JPG

Is the camera monitor a tablet? If so, can you provide details as to what you used?

It is an Android tablet. I used an endoscope I got off of eBay for about $10.00.

Thanks.
What I really want is 2 USB webcams, to a tablet with a spit screen. A camera on each the case and bullet feeders. Not sure if that's possible though...

Thanks.
What I really want is 2 USB webcams, to a tablet with a spit screen. A camera on each the case and bullet feeders. Not sure if that's possible though...

Sounds interesting, hope you can figure it out and post.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

Do you mean an additional camera to keep an eye on the amount of projectiles in the bullet feeder?

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, dillon said:

Manual indexing is no slower than auto indexing, as for both your hand is already in the correct position to set a bullet on the case mouth anyway, so pushing the index sprocket is nothing. The primary advantage in speed for the RL550C is the frame has a much larger window, so it is faster to feed cases and bullets.

I have also added a Mini Mr Bullet feeder to my 550. I only load .40 and 38sc but my rate had increased so that manually indexing is almost an afterthought.