Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters Who Get In Your Way

GENE S

I was at a local match this past weekend, and during our 5 min walk through I noticed that there were several people that after walking through the stage, they turned around and walked right back up the course of fire as other people were doing their thing. This made it very hard for the next shooter to see just where he/she was going to engaage one target or maybe several others.

When you are done with your walk through, please step off to the side and walk back up range to the start area, not right up the center.

Gene

It might be good to clue them in to how they should handle the walk through.

For all I know they've been shooting forever and are just rude, but when I first started nobody told me crap about walk throughs. I was forever getting in someone's way until I knew what the heck was going on.

Matter of fact, I don't think anyone has ever told me anything on this subject. Thank goodness for this forum or I'd still be getting in the way (or very bruised).

To continue the hate: I hate it when the "hole" shooter hogs the ports during the "on deck" shooter's walkthrough time.

I overheard someone do this a last year, and immediately stole it (without credit, unforunately, since it is a great line): When you are the "next" shooter, and someone is airgunning through the stage, ask them if they are "next." They will, of course say "no." "...but I am..." usually gets the point across ;)

Alex

To continue the hate:  I hate it when the "hole" shooter hogs the ports during the "on deck" shooter's walkthrough time.

I overheard someone do this a last year, and immediately stole it (without credit, unforunately, since it is a great line):  When you are the "next" shooter, and someone is airgunning through the stage, ask them if they are "next."  They will, of course say "no."  "...but I am..." usually gets the point across  ;)

Alex

I hear were your coming from, it can be annoying but chances are, they are just new. It's hard to get started in this sport to begin with because it is a fringe sport and there is so much to learn, it won't make it any easier if someone feels they aren't welcome. I say strike up a conversation, ask them how long they have been doing this, etc etc. Chances are, they are new and that is your oportunity to talk to them about what to look for in the walkthrough. I'm new at this game and I'm lucky to have a nice local club full of helpful people.

To each his own I guess, I'd just hate to see someone turned away from the sport.

Rockclimbg

Man, it seems to be the same thing everywhere !

It's not only new shooters to do that. I experienced it during our nationals a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of shooters have no discipline when it comes to walkthrough.

They come in front of everybody, even if 90 % of the shooters already made the line :angry:

The spend lots of time in a window where you have to shoot a full paper target at 10 meters.

Sometimes you tell them gently, maybe twice, but when it comes to the third time, you're becoming less gentle.

But that's not limited to the walkthrough. I've seen many times shooters who already shot the COF coming in your way and picking brasses in front of you when it's your turn to shoot.

I even had to stop one RO once at the LAMR command ,he didn't saw one guy picking brass behind a wall of tires on the range :blink:

This guy was nicknamed "brass eater".

Despite I haven't picked any brass in the last two years, we used to collect them after the last shooter of the squad and then each one was looking for his markings.

Now, you see some shooters more concerned about picking their brass instead of looking at their points :wacko:

//drifting// As far as brassing goes. Let's face it. It doesn't take long to pick up 20-30 pieces of brass. It can easily be done during the pasting and scoring and should be unless local custom dictates otherwise. //undrift//

At FL open this year I said something similar to what Alex mentioned about being next a couple of post back. Unfortunately, this guy didn't speak English.

I hate wasted sarcasm <_<:o:lol:

dj

Just seems to me that policing after the match would fall the range clean up crew which would contrubute to BURNOUT, and are you going to be surprised when you show up for your regular match to find, no match.

Just seems to me that policing after the match would fall the range clean up crew which would contrubute to BURNOUT, and are you going to be surprised when you show up for your regular match to find, no match.

I guess for the matches that I shoot, there is no range clean up crew, it is all of us, we tear down, pick up, put away, and police while the scores are all being tallied.

Then we gather around, dump out the brass buckets, and take what is ours.

I sometimes am disheartened that not all help tear down though.

I am surprised to hear that it is done differently elsewhere. How do you guys do all this stuff?

I'm rude and I bitch about it. I don't care, GM, newbie, etc. Politely tell them to clear the range.

And that's when I'm not RO'ing.

The onus falls on the RO. He/She needs to do what is right, and that is keep the stage clear for the people currently shooting.

Remember, actions learned at the local range translate to the bigger matches. Let folks get away with such behavior locally, they do it at the larger matches where we tend to be a little less tolerant.

Inspect what you expect.

I've seen a lot of this behavior along the way - some folks are just rude, some are just ignorant of the ettiquette. For the latter, usually pointing it out to them gently and explaining that it's an etiquette thing will resolve it. For the former, I just return the favor.... heh heh :)

To continue the hate:  I hate it when the "hole" shooter hogs the ports during the "on deck" shooter's walkthrough time.

Alex

What I really hate is when it's me!

At the Silver Buckle match I hogged the ports on stage 6(?) thinking I was the "on deck" shooter and then discovered I was actually "in the hole" and Boy I wished I could have just pulled the damn hole in over myself. Fortunately we were not crowded for time. The RO saw my error and gave the real "on deck" shooter plenty of time.

Nolan

Just an idea but some of our normal operating modes could be put in print and posted by the stages every once in a while. Something in print that says what the standard expectation are would help the many new shooters understand the game and reinforce expectations for the hogs.

Just an idea but some of our normal operating modes could be put in print and posted by the stages every once in a while.  Something in print that says what the standard expectation are would help the many new shooters understand the game and reinforce expectations for the hogs.

Great idea. I usually mention it in the walkthrough at a major, but didn't need to at OH Sectional. I shooed only a few "next" squad shooters off of my stage, Once, the whole match.

Shooters running around(with wide eyes and rudely getting in the way) during 5 minutes and especially during your "on deck" peeve me off a lot. It happens a lot at a majors. I confess to "running into" a few bad cases in the past ;)I really don't care at a club match. That's the place to learn.

Although I have done what Nolan did by accident a few times too. I apologize to the shooter and mention to the RO to let him get his "fair" on deck walkthrough too.

Manners its one thing that separates us from the animals

Most big matches are lost brass matches --- because brassing just bogs the whole affair down.

The matches that deal with the problem in the best way, have plenty of acreage remaining in the pit outside the free fire zone. That makes it easier for stage resetters to stay out of the free fire zone and out of the on deck shooter's way.

When it's my turn on deck, I usually run the stage once, then work on getting into the final position, and break it down backwards, looking for landmarks. That way, if I get rushed to the start box, I need to only take a few steps to check on the first or second position ---- though if time allows, I like to finish with another complete run or two....