Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carts

Clay1

I did a search and came up with a couple of post in the 2002 / 2003 time frame on carts. Yes, I know that I can go buy a wagon but they don't fold down for transportation in the car.

I know that there are a couple of comercially available carts for close to $300, but would like to modify a jogger / stroller that I can get locally for $50 - $75.

Does anyone have any pictures of their jogger that they have modified? Would love some ideas instead of recreating the wheel here. I have read the threads on the Stanley tool boxes etc, but want something with the larger bicycle wheels for the terrain that I cover at the local shoots.

Want to take along my 5.11 range bag, a chair, cooler, and golf umbrella. The state shoot is at the end of July and want something by then or will end up buying a child's wagon / garden wagon.

In the sporting clays days, I also remember many people using hand golf carts or some variation of. Pictures of these would also be welcome as I have a hand golf cart available but I think that the jogger will probably be my best bet.

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Rick,

Check your copy of FS, if you have one. The price of those carts has dropped DRASTICALLY. Even with a $75 baby jogger, you're going to have a tough time inventing one for $239.

Take it from someone who just re-invented the plate rack for the same cost as new.

E

Eric, how did you know I am in the process of trying to line up some steel on for a plate rack too???? That probably should be a different thread but since this is my post if I want to do a LITTLE thread drift what the ......

Did you put info on the plate rack stuff on a thread where you can give me a link? If not where is the best place to buy one instead of trying to make one?

You don't think that I can save over $100 on the cost of that $239 Rugged Gear cart? That would buy my next 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo.

Rick

Eric, how did you know I am in the process of trying to line up some steel on for a plate rack too????  That probably should be a different thread but since this is my post if I want to do a LITTLE thread drift what the ......

Did you put info on the plate rack stuff on a thread where you can give me a link?  If not where is the best place to buy one instead of trying to make one?

You don't think that I can save over $100 on the cost of that $239 Rugged Gear cart?  That would buy my next 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo.

Rick

If you're going to be cutting plates out of AR-500, you simply cannot make them cheaper than you can buy them from Mike Gibson. I bought my plates and hinges from him and am DAMN glad I did. That was about $350 or so delivered and the quality is impeccable. As for the rest of the steel, good luck even buying it. It took me a week and a half and two 140 mi. round trips just to get a 3/8" steel splash plate. And no, I'm not remotely exaggerating. I spent just as much in the end on my trailer as an MGM plate rack trailer, but I wanted a flatbed, so that's what a built. And it's built like a tank. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

And no, once you source all the hangers and bags and whirlygigs, I don't think you can build a cart for much less than $239 by the time you pay gas and shipping to get all the stuff. If you look at their May/June ad, they're basically giving away the accessories if you buy the cart.

I did a search and came up with a couple of post in the 2002 / 2003 time frame on carts.  Yes, I know that I can go buy a wagon but they don't fold down for transportation in the car.

Au Contraire.. Some of the wagons out now do fold up for transport. Costco has one that folds up down the middle. Anyway, thought I'd mention it. They don't go real small, but probably not a lot bigger than a stroller, and in the sub $100 range ready to roll.

Here's a few pictures of mine. I aquired this from my sister in law after her youngest out grew it. I have a small ice chest that hangs from the rear handles. Total money invested less than $15.

101039932.jpg

With umbrella.

101039858.jpg

With range bag and chair.

101039902.jpg

I don't have a pic handy but Scott Petersen has a good pic in this thread.

3 gun cart thread

You can save a significant amount of money over the $239 rugged gear cart.

Stroller anywhere from free (relatives) to $60 (brand new Instep 5X at Shopko). They show up at used sporting goods stores, baby second hand shops, etc.

Pair of bolt on gun mounts (four total) $25-$45 at any sporting goods or four wheeler shop.

Screw on Umbrella $5-$10 anywhere you find one.

Your bag can go in the seat area with your chair on top of it and your cooler can either hang from the handle or go on the undershelf.

A huge PITA to the rugged gear setup is that it puts the guns in front of your bag blocking access to it in the seat, whereas if you do your own gun mounts you can place them so your guns are to the outside of the seat leaving you full access to your stuff.

Anyway even if you bought everything new you can still save at least $100 over the rugged gear setup and have better utility.

Good Luck, Craig

Great links guys thanks. I really like the ideas of the stroller conversion. I did go out today and found a nice little wagon - smaller than a garden wagon and lighter but with nice wheels on it. I'm still shopping. Smokeshwn, that link has a wonderful how to build link within it. Thanks.

Clay,

No sweat, there are about seven or eight guys at our club that have done the same exact thing as Scott and I don't think anyone has spent more than $100. I am actually trying a box mounted on a heavy duty hand cart. The guns mount on the back and the box holds everthing I need and in turn provides an excellent place to sit without having to carry a chair. I am still playing with dimensions and when I get done I will post some pics. So far I am in it $30 for the hand truck and about $40 in MDF and some misc. parts.

Good luck, Craig

Dale, the remote control model???? :blink:

I've been doing some internet searches and I see some wonderful carts that the cowboy action shooters are using. I was particularly impressed with this one: http://users2.ev1.net/~dwel/rm%20weeky_scores.htm

I don't have the time to make one of the all wood models but they are pretty cool. I guess where there is a need someone will find a solution.

Rick

I've been looking at turning a jogger into a gun cart for the past month. This post reminded me to get back on this project.

I stopped by the local thrift store while running errands today. They had two joggers, one for $20 and one for $35. Bought the one for $20. Now I just need to get some gun racks.

So you might want to stop by the thrift store instead of buying a new jogger.

Cking,

Try any of your bigger outdoor hiking/backpacking oriented stores like REI. They usually have a pretty good selection of straps, buckles and tent repair materials. One close to me (Kirkham's) is actually a tent maker and has a sidebusiness solely dedicated to custom sewing of whatever you dream up.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Been looking for a used stroller ever since I started this thread. Really didn't want a wagon even though it could hold more it is awfully big to put in the car.

I went to a local store called Farm & Fleet today and they had the InStep EZ Strider that was normally $99 on sale for $79. I have seen them a little cheaper on Ebay but the shipping kills you. Bought it today. Took two metal hose clamps and clamped a 1" diameter X about 4' section of PVC on to the verticle bar. The golf umbrella handle that I bought fits inside the PVC snuggly and makes a nice shade while everyone else is sitting in the sun. A small cooler fit on the bottom for some cold water while shooting.

My large shooting bad doesn't fit in the seat area all that well. I use a 5.11 range bag, which is similar in size or a little larger than a Shooter's Connection bag. I ended up putting it in sideways with the mag pouch pockets facing upwardly. A small folding chair rounds out the process. The wheels will go over rough terrain and I look forward to shooting my first match with it. One of the best parts is that it all folds up nicesly and I have less than $100 in the whole thing and I bought it new.

Any other tips on how to rig it up. Did most of you cut out the seat belts for the kids since they are of no use or did you just leave them in since they aren't really in the way that much either?

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to start a new thread but this one is pretty new and a related topic.

? Are there any rules on muzzle direction while the guns are on the Carts?

I just picked up a Jogging Stroller at a consignment sale and want to get it fixed up in the next week or so for an upcoming match.

I have noticed that on most cowboy 3gun carts they are vertical with the muzzle up and I thought I read somewhere that it was a requirement at some Cowboy matches.

I'm leaning toward muzzle up at an angle on the Stroller but the Rugged Gear model has the muzzle down.

Anyone have any comment on the requirements / safety issues with the different mounting positions for Tactical 3gun?

Pictures would be great also.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm using a folding hand truck with ATV gun mounts on the outside rails but it doesn't work worth a darn. I think I'll look for a used baby jogger a la Scott Peterson. One thing I've noticed is that if your cart carries long guns muzzles up (whether vertical or angled) it's easy to sweep yourself or someone else when moving it. So I would vote muzzles down, no matter what SASS says.

Check local thrift shops. I bought one yesterday for $20.02.

Don't ask, I did and the dude wouldn't budge off the $.02

It's in pretty good condition, I'm going to order the gun mounts and gun bags this week.

I went a different route for my 3gun "cart". I picked a Harper nylon hand truck, which holds about 600lb and weighs very little. To the base I hava attached a large cooler which servers its original purpose as well as doubling as a chair with the upright part acting as a chair back. My longguns are attached to the sides of the hand trunk on the rear side. When moving from stage to stage my range bag sits in top of the cooler. For this year I want get some better gun mounts and add a folding umbrella. The coolest part is that all the add on's are removable and most of the year I still have a hand truck.

This is the closest model in their website, mine doesn't have the extra folding base thingie. Total investments is less the $100 (the cart was like $60 at HD) and I also got a hand truck :)