Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side charge or rear charge

I started with a MechTech CCU that had a reciprocating side charge handle,... and it "appeared to me" to be a liability shooting right side barricades, though I never shot it that much to encounter one...with a Taylor Freelance +10 extension to a 32 round Glock magazine, I don't see any need to have an immediate charging solution, that could not be accomplished with a standard charging handle... I'm sure others will state otherwise.... regards Les

Hello: I was thinking of getting a side charge upper but I have been using a rear charge upper and don't see a problem with it at all. AR15 I have are the same way so a memory thing comes into play also. I do suggest you get a good charging handle. I am using the ambi Raptor and really like it since I can charge it with either hand. The other thing for me was the cost of the side charge uppers. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I was thinking of getting a side charge upper but I have been using a rear charge upper and don't see a problem with it at all. AR15 I have are the same way so a memory thing comes into play also. I do suggest you get a good charging handle. I am using the ambi Raptor and really like it since I can charge it with either hand. The other thing for me was the cost of the side charge uppers. Thanks, Eric

The memory thing!  I've been shooting a side charger PCC a bit lately and then shot a 3 gun match with my AR.  I have a very funny video of me grabbing the cattail on my scope and trying to lock the bolt back on my AR at the end of the stage!!!!  The RO got a good laugh out of it.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

Unfortunately I'm in California and limited to 10 round magazines .Most stages require 3-4 mag changes so I'm just looking at what will save me time on reloads. Good point les about right side barricades ,I did not consider that. 

Another factor that made me try a side charging handle was the gases are ejected to the side away from your face rather than to the rear since an AR9 is a blow back design. I have not tried a rear charging AR9 to tell the difference.  Its about a 100 bucks difference more for a side charging.  Just wanted to try something new.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the NFA side charge upper non-reciprocating? So shooting right side barricades shouldn't be a problem.

I also have been looking at the NFA side charging upper. I already have the other NFA parts. Just trying to decide between their rear or side charging model.

$50 for a regular upper vs. $200+ for the side charging, to me no way it's worth it.  And you shouldn't be using the charging handle during a run anyway so speed of charging shouldn't matter.

3 hours ago, MRBACKHAND said:

Unfortunately I'm in California and limited to 10 round magazines .Most stages require 3-4 mag changes so I'm just looking at what will save me time on reloads. Good point les about right side barricades ,I did not consider that. 

Ah so I guess you'd probably want an NFA upper with LRBHO then.  In that case it's less of a difference in cost for the side charger, but still $100 more it looks like.  I don't have LRBHO on my PCC, but it doesn't matter for me.  If I were stuck with 10 round mags I'd probably want LRBHO though.

But why would you be using the charging handle on reloads instead of the bolt release?  And also you shouldn't be running the gun dry often anyway just like with other 10 round divisions.

28 minutes ago, cakedog02 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the NFA side charge upper non-reciprocating? So shooting right side barricades shouldn't be a problem.

I also have been looking at the NFA side charging upper. I already have the other NFA parts. Just trying to decide between their rear or side charging model.

You are right ? The NFA is non reciprocating.

I have the NFA lower with side-charging upper, and I love it. It's super easy to unload and show clear with the charger at the side, and if I get a misfeed can clear it while shouldered. When I shoot low capacity magazines in a non-free state, it makes reloads easier if I make a mistake and shoot to bolt lock back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

$50 for a regular upper vs. $200+ for the side charging, to me no way it's worth it.  And you shouldn't be using the charging handle during a run anyway so speed of charging shouldn't matter.

Ah so I guess you'd probably want an NFA upper with LRBHO then.  In that case it's less of a difference in cost for the side charger, but still $100 more it looks like.  I don't have LRBHO on my PCC, but it doesn't matter for me.  If I were stuck with 10 round mags I'd probably want LRBHO though.

But why would you be using the charging handle on reloads instead of the bolt release?  And also you shouldn't be running the gun dry often anyway just like with other 10 round divisions.

Not sure ? I'm still new to USPSA, I only have 2 USPSA matches  under my belt. I enjoy my cz sp01 but really want to try pcc also. I definitely want LRBHO option the RRA upper I have does not have that.

7 hours ago, Southpaw said:

You're obviously not a production or single stack shooter.

The fastest way to shoot a creative, fun stage is often involves firing 11 rounds at some point. 5 paper and one steel or one makeup shot, then slide-lock reload and go.

"Thou shalt never shoot the gun dry" only applies to Limited and Open in full-capacity states.

Hello: If you get a lower that locks the bolt back on the last round like my Quarter Circle 10 lowers do then you would just have to use the bolt release to charge it. The QC10 Colt lower I am using has been 100% on locking the bolt back on the last round. ASC 10 round magazines work in it as well and only cost $15 each. The QC10 Glock lower has been about 95% at locking the bolt back. It likes heavy mag springs in order to work. The 10 round Glock factory mags I tried in it worked great. If it was me I would use the standard upper receiver with a QC10 Colt lower and ASC 10 round mags with base pads. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You're obviously not a production or single stack shooter.

The fastest way to shoot a creative, fun stage is often involves firing 11 rounds at some point. 5 paper and one steel or one makeup shot, then slide-lock reload and go.

"Thou shalt never shoot the gun dry" only applies to Limited and Open in full-capacity states.

Actually I shot only Production and SS minor my first few years of shooting USPSA. It was pretty rare that running the gun dry was part of my stage plan. But maybe they set up different kinds of stages where you shoot so it's more common for you :)

Either way, if you do run a PCC dry it's faster to use the bolt release than charging handle.

I have been using the NFA side-charger with LRBHO and another PCC with an Anderson Machine upper with a traditional charging handle. Where the side charger really shines in in empty gun starts. The first round can be chambered as the gun comes up to your shoulder and your support hand is on the hand guard faster. I have noticed that you can clear light strikes without breaking your cheek weld. How much time is saved is probably small but giving up time intentionally is not smart. Is it worth the cost difference? Dunno. Is any of this shit worth the money? :lol: As for the right side of a barricade, my support arm touches the wall well before the non-reciprocating handle will...

We are on the dawn of a 10-round era here. I have been looking at the issue and not running dry is a good plan. But if you do, I am thinking that the same manual of arms as what you do for an unloaded start may be the way to go. Or not. :D I am also looking at the BAD lever. In any case, gotta retrain the monkey :rolleyes:

On 5/30/2017 at 8:35 PM, cakedog02 said:

wcarmory and tactical shit both have the NFA Side charge model with LRBHO in stock. I confirmed it with both companies. they are around $235 shipped. I lucked out Tuesday night and found that tactical shit had 15% off site wide for their memorial sale . I ended up paying $202 shipped usps priority.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

... but what about us leftys that want a side charger on the right right side in 9mm? 

I dont think such an animal exists.

GibbZ has upper for you lefty's problem is finding a 9mm bolt for lefty"s.

BTW I have been running side chargers for years and they are way faster in competitions where you have to do unloaded starts. I love mine for that as long as I can get the mag in the frickin hole. LOL 

One more thing the Gibbz is a NON reciprocating handle as it has a detent that holds it in place.

Edited by BD Williamson

I run an LAR side charge (left side) upper and really like it.  Got into the habit back in the 80s when I got an AUG.  Also had my M3000 Stoeger converted to that mode when I had MOA do their mods to the shotgun.

AR-15.JPG

P1000296 (640x480).jpg