Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying first USPSA match - Shoot Limited or Production w/ M&P 40?

narwhal

Hello,

A local club is putting on a USPSA match in a few days and I'm going to try it.  I've never been to one before.

I've shot about half a dozen IDPA matches in the past 3 months (because they were available on my days off, not any kind of preference) and am pretty bad (Sharpshooter), have been using a carry gun (M&P 40 compact) for that in their concealed carry pistol division.

Anyway, I also have an M&P 40 pro 5" and I'm considering shooting it in Limited major because I have 3 of the 19 round 140mm Taylor Freelance magazines and a carver custom flared magwell, although the rest of the gun is stock (black rear sight/FO front).  The gun holds about 4" groups at 25 yards with my unskilled self shooting slowfire groups.

Would I look like an idiot showing up to shoot  limited as a beginner?  I have shot a friend's STI edge so I know the M&P is not really a competitive gun in the division with it's 5 pound trigger, it would just seem fun to me to try something way different from IDPA (less reloading, more shooting).

My other option is to shoot without the magwell and use stock magazines in production. I have some .40 minor ammo which functions fine in the pistol should I choose to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Shoot limited. Less reloads for you. Since you are just getting started, don't look at it as competing against everyone else, just compete with yourself. Take note of how well you did on stages, and how poorly you did on stages, and at the next match, try to improve those times/hits. Don't shoot somebody else's game, shoot yours.

8 minutes ago, narwhal said:

USPSA match and I'm going to try it.  I've never been to one before.

I've shot about half a dozen IDPA matches

Would I look like an idiot showing up to shoot  limited as a beginner? (less reloading, more shooting).

Read up the regs for USPSA - few major differences from IDPA - do NOT let your gun shoot empty - reload everytime you get a chance (yes, drop the damn mag and reload).

Don't worry re: cover ....    Just shoot deliberately and RUN as fast as you can.  

You WILL Look Like an Idiot if you go too fast, or get DQ'd - safety first - you'll look like someone having a BLAST with your 5" .40 Major and 19 round mags.

Go, have a Blast :)   

Just my opinion as a relative newb.

Limited with the big mags and major scoring will almost certainly be more enjoyable.

Production is a mental excercise on top of speed and accuracy. Not that it isn't fun, I started with it and have stayed, but it slips away from enjoyable to frustrating as easy as one unplanned shot.

I always recommend people shoot limited when they show up to their first match with their 'run what you brung' gear even if they're shooting a minor caliber. There are fewer restrictions that you have to worry about and you're, more than likely, going to have enough on your plate trying to adjust to the new rules and all of the recommendations your squad mates will throw out at you throughout the match. 

As for 'looking stupid,' don't worry about it. No one else at these matches seem to. Have fun, shoot safe and try to learn something. 

i was going to say just flip a coin, but limited is probably your best starting point if you have 40 major.  not that uspsa is all that difficult, but less precise stage planning when you don't have to reload every 10/11 rounds.  just remember, plan your reloads while moving between arrays, not while standing still.  be safe and have fun.

5 hours ago, aaron410 said:

I always recommend people shoot limited when they show up to their first match with their 'run what you brung' gear even if they're shooting a minor caliber. There are fewer restrictions that you have to worry about and you're, more than likely, going to have enough on your plate trying to adjust to the new rules and all of the recommendations your squad mates will throw out at you throughout the match. 

As for 'looking stupid,' don't worry about it. No one else at these matches seem to. Have fun, shoot safe and try to learn something. 

We generally recommend that same thing (shoot limited) to newcomers.  Less concern with reloads and all that.  We try to make sure the RO knows they're new and make sure they don't end up shooting first on a stage.

I definitely suggest Limited, for no other reason that increased flexibility.  With three mags on your belt you can finish any stage, even if you miss a lot or drop a mag prematurely.  I'll second the go slow, pay attention and learn advice.  That was what I received prior to my first match, and it was sound.