Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC AR 9mm barrel makers?

This got me curious so I pulled up Max's YouTube video of his Optics Nationals win.

The best view seems to be right at 2 minutes into the 7 minute video.  It appears Max has his weak hand thumb on top of the handguard all the way up to where the rail is cut to allow the gas to vent.  His index finger is along the left side of the handguard pointed straight down towards the muzzle. His remaining fingers wrap around the bottom of the handguard.

Where most carbine shooters tend to extend their grip as far out as possible on the handguard, Max is keeping his weak hand much further back.  Possibly because the gun balance is so muzzle light?

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just built my NFA PCC with a KAW Valley Barrel.., I don't know if Faxon makes them or not, but I know it will not manually eject last round show clear without banging on the charger due to bullet jammed in rifling.

I dropped from 1.110 OAL with a 115 MG down to 1.070..."plunk" drop right in...all bullet profiles end up with a ring/marks around  the bullet from the rifling at anything over 1.070

......just hoping I don't end up compressing my loads with 124g bullets...need to do some chrono work now with the mandatory shorter load required for the rounds to eject properly. My friend from our club built his NFA using a KAW Valley barrel, but...his drop test no problem at 1.135....clearly a dimensional variance between these same barrels, throat to rifling lead in...................??

On 5/6/2017 at 4:58 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

This got me curious so I pulled up Max's YouTube video of his Optics Nationals win.

The best view seems to be right at 2 minutes into the 7 minute video.  It appears Max has his weak hand thumb on top of the handguard all the way up to where the rail is cut to allow the gas to vent.  His index finger is along the left side of the handguard pointed straight down towards the muzzle. His remaining fingers wrap around the bottom of the handguard.

Where most carbine shooters tend to extend their grip as far out as possible on the handguard, Max is keeping his weak hand much further back.  Possibly because the gun balance is so muzzle light?

Bill

I think that his specific grip there has more to do with the fact that he literally can't have his hand forward more without taking hits from the comp. If you look at older vids/AR vids he has a similar hold to a lot of 3 gun shooters. Hold out to where you still have some bend/control in your support arm. Notice his stock is out to where his grip is ergonomically unaltered. 

On 2/26/2017 at 3:24 PM, WidowsSon683 said:

The taccom barrel is a damn joke. Its a damn 7" barrel with a 9" "muzzle device" (basically a shroud that serves NO FUNCTIONAL PURPOSE other than "legality") and they want almost $200 for it. They are out of their damn minds.

So that was the first design......who is this clown??? 

The second design....the one we are selling now is a 5.25" rifled barrel with an aluminum shroud that is pinned and welded. Total weight is 15 ounces. Yep....it's total competition. We did do a chamber that will allow for longer bullet profiles too. And reduced the cost as well.

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have seen some barrels that will take loading long right from the factory and others that need throating even from the same make of barrel. I have not had any problems with the Wilson Arms barrels or the JP for being able to load long. Thanks, Eric

I guess its not a show stopper loading short...the loads I developed for PCC are not the best for my hanguns in 9mm...thx Eric.

41 minutes ago, Ofishl1 said:

I guess its not a show stopper loading short...the loads I developed for PCC are not the best for my hanguns in 9mm...thx Eric.

Hello: It could be a show stopper if you need to load longer for better feeding or the factory ammo does not fit the barrel you have. Just what I have seen here. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: It could be a show stopper if you need to load longer for better feeding or the factory ammo does not fit the barrel you have. Just what I have seen here. Thanks, Eric

Yes and a solid observation, ..and apparently a chronic mfg (or standard dimensioning for KAW) condition, just returned the KVP Barrel to JBOB, they sent another ahead in 2 days of my providing depth gauged dimensions of the chamber and bolt face using our Aero-Space lab,.. which may not have had any value with no baseline dimension provided  back to me for determining a Go-No-Go barrel......no other questions asked, barrel showed up quick, measured and plunked, a twin to the one I sent back.........so I installed and tested, ran like the other one with a couple of cases that didn't clear the eject port and rattled around in there while the next round tried to load...this is new but was not chronic, 2 times out of 50 or so rounds, but still not happy to load this short, I am not confident of running it in the State PCC Champs next month, I think another barrel has to be bought from someone else..then I will have the KVP barrel reamed by a smith for a back up or another build, its a shame I really like the profile and weight of the KVP barrel,...but has to be consistent. So far have not seen anything like it.. yet.

9 hours ago, Ofishl1 said:

Yes and a solid observation, ..and apparently a chronic mfg (or standard dimensioning for KAW) condition, just returned the KVP Barrel to JBOB, they sent another ahead in 2 days of my providing depth gauged dimensions of the chamber and bolt face using our Aero-Space lab,.. which may not have had any value with no baseline dimension provided  back to me for determining a Go-No-Go barrel......no other questions asked, barrel showed up quick, measured and plunked, a twin to the one I sent back.........so I installed and tested, ran like the other one with a couple of cases that didn't clear the eject port and rattled around in there while the next round tried to load...this is new but was not chronic, 2 times out of 50 or so rounds, but still not happy to load this short, I am not confident of running it in the State PCC Champs next month, I think another barrel has to be bought from someone else..then I will have the KVP barrel reamed by a smith for a back up or another build, its a shame I really like the profile and weight of the KVP barrel,...but has to be consistent. So far have not seen anything like it.. yet.

Hello: Since you have an Aero Space lab get them to turn down a Wilson Arms barrel to the same profile as the KAW barrel for you if you like the weight of it. For me I have found that you can go to heavy and also to light for an upper assembly. The timer and target are the best test. Bullet weight and profile are a factor as well. Lots of good smiths in Arizona so you can get that barrel throated. Thanks, Eric

FYI  - Any PSA barrel made after 8/1/2017 has been lengthened to accept longer chambers and the chamfer has been redesigned to aide in feeding issues. The barrel will be labeled "9mm PCC Chamber" near the muzzle. If you have a PSA barrel and are having feeding issues you can email customer service and get an RMA to have it replaced. You would be surprised how well it runs.

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Since you have an Aero Space lab get them to turn down a Wilson Arms barrel to the same profile as the KAW barrel for you if you like the weight of it. For me I have found that you can go to heavy and also to light for an upper assembly. The timer and target are the best test. Bullet weight and profile are a factor as well. Lots of good smiths in Arizona so you can get that barrel throated. Thanks, Eric

Roger that, thanks.

7 hours ago, wyliearms said:

If you have a PSA barrel and are having feeding issues you can email customer service and get an RMA to have it replaced. You would be surprised how well it runs.

Is this offer good for pre-August (Version 1) barrels?

Edited by Flatland Shooter
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:32 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Our Lab is for receiving inspection of parts from our suppliers, we have precision gauging systems but we do not do any machining unfortunately.

I did run the 2nd KAW barrel today with various profiles, and "short" lengths loaded to an avg 1.060 on Frontier FP 121g, 115g MG RN, 124g Delta HP, 121g MG IFI, of all these the Frontier 121 FP and MG 115g ran perfectly at 1.060,  Deltas were actually at 1.080 and misfed a few times,...interesting point of ref to the Factory OAL on a Amercan Eagle 147 g Flat Point OAL out of the box is 1.060.

So all this discovery and chrono work shows the shorter OAL and the same charge did not change the PF enough to make any noticeable difference, regardless, on a recommend from AIRCooled have ordered a Wilson A. 16 inch SS and will go through the dimensional pre checks, if it will carry the desired longer loaded OAL ..then KAW comes out and will find a smith to Ream it for another build or back up.

JSE Surplus price was fair enough at $130 and checking the weight it is only 3 oz heavier than the KAW, likely not enough to notice...will report on it in a few days.

9 hours ago, Ofishl1 said:

Our Lab is for receiving inspection of parts from our suppliers, we have precision gauging systems but we do not do any machining unfortunately.

I did run the 2nd KAW barrel today with various profiles, and "short" lengths loaded to an avg 1.060 on Frontier FP 121g, 115g MG RN, 124g Delta HP, 121g MG IFI, of all these the Frontier 121 FP and MG 115g ran perfectly at 1.060,  Deltas were actually at 1.080 and misfed a few times,...interesting point of ref to the Factory OAL on a Amercan Eagle 147 g Flat Point OAL out of the box is 1.060.

So all this discovery and chrono work shows the shorter OAL and the same charge did not change the PF enough to make any noticeable difference, regardless, on a recommend from AIRCooled have ordered a Wilson A. 16 inch SS and will go through the dimensional pre checks, if it will carry the desired longer loaded OAL ..then KAW comes out and will find a smith to Ream it for another build or back up.

JSE Surplus price was fair enough at $130 and checking the weight it is only 3 oz heavier than the KAW, likely not enough to notice...will report on it in a few days.

Hello: When you get your Wilson Arms barrel you can turn off the sight boss it has on it to make it lighter if you want. I have done that on my barrels to make them like a JP barrel profile. It works great and you can add weight or make it lighter by your hand guard choice. Finding the balance that works for you is the key. Thanks, Eric

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:15 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: When you get your Wilson Arms barrel you can turn off the sight boss it has on it to make it lighter if you want. I have done that on my barrels to make them like a JP barrel profile. It works great and you can add weight or make it lighter by your hand guard choice. Finding the balance that works for you is the key. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric, I just received the Wilson Arms  SS barrel tonight, and it is a nice barrel, all be it a little on the heavy side as you mentioned earlier,  not a great deal more than the KAW, published spec between the 2 barrels is 4 ozs, will have to weight them both when I pull the KAW off my NFA... and to confirm OAL tolerance of the new W. Arms..I drop tested various lengths up to the longest I had loaded at 1.125 and it spun freely...AT LAST!! I am excited to install it and test...I would love to have it turned down some like you did, but my Smith is gone to compete in the World Shoot and the AZ State PCC Champs are in 30 days, need to settle this gun down with a good barrel and practice, practice..so I am going with it as is for now.

Thanks for all your solid recon on the barrels...good info.

Eric J 

WAB.jpg

Edited by Ofishl1
pic
On 2/27/2017 at 11:27 AM, JAustin316 said:

No one has tried the Rainier Arms Ultramatch 9mm barrel from a Shillen blank? I know their rifle caliber barrels are top notch, I would only assume the same can be said for their PCC barrels. I ordered one, I'll report back once it comes in.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-9mm-barrel-16

Any news?