Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC AR 9mm barrel makers?

21 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Since wgj3 is able to run bullets long in his Faxon barrel, are the barrels they make for KAW chambered differently with less leade?

Or am I missing something?

I was not able to tell a difference in chamber leade in 3 Kaw Valleys and a Faxon. They all need to be loaded short if using coated. All 4 would take mag length jacketed bullets without issue though. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have run a Wilson Arms SS (8in.) barrel and Ballistic Advantage barrel (8.3in). Both had to be throated to take coated lead bullets out to 1.15. The Wilson Arms was much easier to throat since it was not coated but the profile was heavy.

Edited by bwikel
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 10:29 AM, 1911luvr said:

Has anyone tried the KAK Industry barrels? For only $100 I was thinking to try one in the PCC I'm building for my girlfriend.

https://www.kakindustry.com/review/product/list/id/514/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious about this as well. I'm buying a 9mm barrel before long, and it'd be nice if I can pick up a usable one for $100. 

9 hours ago, whatsupglock said:

I have the PSA 16" barrel on my PCC. I can load 147 gr Xtremes to 1.160" and I can load 124 gr Xtremes to 1.135" (both round nose profile). 

When did you buy that barrel?  Is it possible they actually listen to customers and have started chambering their barrels for longer bullets?

Anything over 1.095" (I load to 1.085") will not pass the plunk and twist test with 147 gr Xtreme RN bullets.

5 hours ago, Xanatos903 said:

I'm curious about this as well. I'm buying a 9mm barrel before long, and it'd be nice if I can pick up a usable one for $100. 

I actually emailed KAK asking if they knew whether it could handle bullets loaded long, and I just got a response back saying that they easily handled 147s (but didn't specify whether they were loaded long or not). Do people actually make barrels that won't chamber a factory 147gr load? 

So that's not really too helpful, but I'll probably take a gamble on it. 

Edited by Xanatos903
I actually emailed KAK asking if they knew whether it could handle bullets loaded long, and I just got a response back saying that they easily handled 147s (but didn't specify whether they were loaded long or not). Do people actually make barrels that won't chamber a factory 147gr load? 

So that's not really too helpful, but I'll probably take a gamble on it. 

So are you taking bets? I got a dollar that says no-go on coated 147's loaded to 1.15+! Lol

14 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

When did you buy that barrel?  Is it possible they actually listen to customers and have started chambering their barrels for longer bullets?

Anything over 1.095" (I load to 1.085") will not pass the plunk and twist test with 147 gr Xtreme RN bullets.

At Christmas ish time.

That Taccom barrel is a pretty cool concept.  Maybe Tim will chime in and tell us about the chamber and if it accepts long bullets, coated bullets (.356-.357), etc.  Also would be interested to find out if the headspacing is tailored to a specific bolt or ???

I'd consider building an upper with that if I could use my Kaw valley bolt and if it took RN .356-.357 coated bullets out to 1.1400 -ish  

Edited by Bamboo
  • 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, WidowsSon683 said:

The taccom barrel is a damn joke. Its a damn 7" barrel with a 9" "muzzle device" (basically a shroud that serves NO FUNCTIONAL PURPOSE other than "legality") and they want almost $200 for it. They are out of their damn minds.

Running a short barrel opens up options you don't have with a 16in barrel. The biggest advantage is you can run lighter mass on your bolt/buffer since the dwell is shorter and pressure drops sooner without the risk of a case rupture. Is the taccom worth the price? I have no idea since I haven't run one but it satisfies the length requirement with sbr barrel characteristics. 

Running a CMMG 16" M4 profile barrel. The barrel is good quality, but I have to load to 1.10 with my current load using a 125 gr. truncated cone BBI.  Any longer than 1.10 and I can't eject loaded rounds.  Thinking of switching to a 14.5" JP and having a comp pinned/welded to keep the barrel length short as possible.  SBR's aren't an option in Hawaii unfortunately.  An SBR would be perfect for PCC.

On 1/25/2017 at 10:29 AM, 1911luvr said:

Has anyone tried the KAK Industry barrels? For only $100 I was thinking to try one in the PCC I'm building for my girlfriend.

https://www.kakindustry.com/review/product/list/id/514/

I bought one of these and installed it last week. It is able to chamber some 124gr loads at 1.13", so it's short throated. 1.12" seems to accommodate everything. I've got some 147gr HP on the way to test with it, but I don't have high hopes for being able to load long. 

I bought one of these and installed it last week. It is able to chamber some 124gr loads at 1.13", so it's short throated. 1.12" seems to accommodate everything. I've got some 147gr HP on the way to test with it, but I don't have high hopes for being able to load long. 

Thank you for the info. I think I'm just going to order the stainless Wilson Arms barrel that Eric mentioned, since it will be easy to ream.

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

Thank you for the info. I think I'm just going to order the stainless Wilson Arms barrel that Eric mentioned, since it will be easy to ream.

Hello: The last Wilson Arms barrel I bought does not need any throating at all. I am loading my 147's Acme bullets to 1.145" OAL and they drop in. My open loaded rounds that are Montana Gold 115 JHP at 1.170" OAL drop in as well. I don't shoot the open loads in it. JSE Surplus is where I bought mine for $135 plus shipping for the stainless steel 16". Thanks, Eric

21 hours ago, WidowsSon683 said:

The taccom barrel is a damn joke. Its a damn 7" barrel with a 9" "muzzle device" (basically a shroud that serves NO FUNCTIONAL PURPOSE other than "legality") and they want almost $200 for it. They are out of their damn minds.

That damn 7" barrel has more than an inch more rifling than I have on any of my competition pistols and they seem just fine for USPSA.   The "No Functional Purpose Shroud" saves me $200 on a tax stamp for a barrel that will probably be the lightest available for PCC.

I'm eyeing one of these barrels for my next build if it is throated to take longer reloads.  It may be a simple project to ream the leade on some of these barrels, but I'd rather get one set to my needs straight from the factory.

Bill

On 1/12/2017 at 8:08 AM, wgj3 said:

I'm running the 16" Faxon and it has been great so far. It will take RN bullets loaded as long as the Glock mags will feed, 1.15" or so.

And, the Faxon comes without all the extra bulk of many of the other barrels available. I don't understand why so many of the AR9 barrels have gasblock seat areas and the shoulders with them, etc. The barrel doesnt need to be any heavier than a pistol barrel...

I also have a JP and its a great barrel, but I think that it can benefit from the work like Eric did above. No issues with having to load shorter in it either.

As others have mentioned, OAL is HIGHLY dependent on bullet profile. Any of the "truncated cone, flat point" bullets are likely going to have to be loaded shorter than something with a standard "FMJ" profile.

FYI - As a follow-up to the post above...

I had lucked into a super-cheap batch of Magnus 124's that were only moly coated. The bullets had a distinct shoulder at the rear of the ogive and this made them very forgiving when loaded a little longer. I recently ran out of those and found another decent deal on some powder-coated 125's and they are sticking in the chamber at ULSC and pulling bullets out, so I am going to have to go to different bullets or seat these a little deeper.

Hello: The last Wilson Arms barrel I bought does not need any throating at all. I am loading my 147's Acme bullets to 1.145" OAL and they drop in. My open loaded rounds that are Montana Gold 115 JHP at 1.170" OAL drop in as well. I don't shoot the open loads in it. JSE Surplus is where I bought mine for $135 plus shipping for the stainless steel 16". Thanks, Eric

Even better, thanks!

I have the NFA 16" 9mm match barrel and it leaves rifling marks on factory American Eagle 115 gr loads.   Hard ejection of loaded rounds too.    I called and emailed NFA and they're supposed to get back to me.   

I don't want to have to ream my barrel and need to purchase one that will take ANYTHING I feed it.   Any suggestions?