Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you carry a Tanfo? If so, what?

MemphisMechanic

Many of us who shoot USPSA also carry a gun at times (or all the time) in our daily lives.

Do you carry a Witness/Tanfo? If so, what is it and have you done anything to it?

I have to admit that I'd probably consider buying one of the cheaper Poly-framed Witness models in 9mm if the ergonomics and internals were equivalent to the Stock 2/3 stuff. Has anyone else considered this? Anyone doing it?

A lighter version of my competition gun with similar controls and such would be a good winter carry at least, when a double-stack is easy to conceal.

The polymer Tanfoglio's are similar to the metal guns in grip and internals but are not the same. There is a ledge on the sides of the grip at the back that hits me right in the thumb joint when I ride the safety, not the end of the world bit I find it annoying. The grip is also a bit smaller around.
The internals are a bit harder to work on as they are housed in a removable metal block that also has the frame rails in it. Also the safeties are different with the detent not being in the frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I carry a Tanfoglio Force PRO. It is a 3.6" coned/bull barrel with a polymer frame in 9mmP. Similar in size to a G19. I shoot a S2 in production.

Had a dovetail cut into the slide to fit a FO front sight but otherwise it is stock. Not going to do any work to the trigger as, although heavy, I prefer it that way for an EDC gun.

Have about 1500 rounds through it so far and have been very happy with it. No failures, good accuracy and I shoot it well. My s2 mags fit it as well.

I purchased my Stock 1 specifically for woods carry (10mm). I also carry it concealed in the winter as able. 200gr hardcast doing 1250 in the woods, 155gr Gold Dot at 1450 for around town. I've also shot it in a 3 gun match, as it's the only full size pistol I own, and I'm not going to buy a gun for a possible one-time match...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I carry my Match in 10mm when I'm in the woods/at the cabin.  IWB with a little bit of cant and a fleece or untucked shirt over the top and it conceals pretty well if I need to run to a store, or be around gun-averse family.  The round heel on the Tanfo's grip really helps with the non-printing.  Of course, I'm a fat bastard, and so a little extra width isn't that noticeable on me. 

9 hours ago, 1911aow said:

I carry a Tanfoglio Force PRO. It is a 3.6" coned/bull barrel with a polymer frame in 9mmP. Similar in size to a G19. I shoot a S2 in production.

Had a dovetail cut into the slide to fit a FO front sight but otherwise it is stock. Not going to do any work to the trigger as, although heavy, I prefer it that way for an EDC gun.

I looked that up. Then looked up your location. South Africa.

The US laws result in a company called EAA importing Tanfos under the brand name "Witness" and we don't have the same selection.

Looks like, if you want a shootable easily-carried compact in a lighter polymer frame, the only choice is what's known as the EAA Witness Compact. 

14+1 in 9mm (because .40 is wrong) with a 3.6" barrel. Available in a variety of frame colors and not nearly as sexy as the metal guns that we shoot in IPSC and USPSA:

IMG_2597.PNG

But they're cheap enough that I may pick one up for ~$400 and play with it's internals a bit. An 8 / 4 lb trigger with good heavy reliable springs in a glass-smooth polished trigger could make a nice "carry" sister to the Stock 2/3/Lim Pro guns with a similar grip contour and trigger reach / pull length.

I'm a big believer in carrying something that allows all the hours of dryfire and practice I spend with a competition gun to cross over as much as possible... and that backstrap contour and grip and trigger reach look a lot like my Stock 3's. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

They make an  EAA Witness Compact  in steel frame too, Bud's says it is only 2oz heavier than the polymer frame, doesn't seem right. It's listed at $484, I'd lean towards that one personally.

Edit to add- EAA lists the steel compact at 30oz as well. It would appear PD parts would fit this one too... time to send Santa a note.

Edited by SCTaylor

It's only 1/8th of a pound difference? Hmm.

There heavy though, probably due to the aforementioned steel chassis in the frame. The Glock 19 is my benchmark for a double stack carry gun:

1.25 lbs / 20 oz - Glock 19

1.75 lbs / 28 oz - EAA plasticky compact

1.875lbs/ 30 oz - EAA steel compact

1.65lbs / 27.5oz- CZ P-07

Edited by MemphisMechanic

CZ75D compact is my carry pistol, Aluminum frame is a bit wider but lighter. Has Cajun Gunworks hammer, Sights and lightened springs. Trigger is about 7.5 lbs in Double and 3.5 lbs in single action. Just another very good option with similar ergos of the Tanfo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I carry my Elite and also stock III. I Re-profiled the rear sight and re-profiled a ambi- safety from a stock II/III. Also changed out the mag release for the shorter standard one to make it more Carry friendly. I also had a hybrid iwb holster made that fits both of them. 

IMAG1226_1.jpg

Since getting my Stock 2, I have also been considering a poly framed Tanfo for carry.  Been looking at the WItness Carry P.  It has the same bull barrel setup as the Stock 2.  Any experiences with a Carry P from anyone?

I'll skip that one because that's the opposite of what appeals to me: barrel length is easy to hide IWB, and the grip is what prints when you bend over.

I'm looking at the polymer compact, instead.

...Perhaps since my Stock 3 doesn't have a cone-fit bull barrel, it didn't occur to me to desire one.

Try a shoulder holster guys... I have a vertical for a 5 inch government model Delta Elite. And a horizontal for my HK p2000. Both are 100% concealed and I'm getting another for my new railed Sig 1911 Nitron 45. It also has 2 extra mags under my right shoulder. The holster doesn't dig in when seated in a car or chair or wherever... And when you have to take a shit in public... It's still right where you left it, under your arm. So no diddle f*#king with it while you're trying to perform an exorcism of last night's 3am taco bell after the bar. 

Barsony holsters has nylon shoulder holster for like 50-60 bux (depending on options). Comes with a nylon gun holster and a nylon double mag pouch. Has leather shoulder straps and nylon attachment straps to keep everything together. Once you adjust it correctly, it's good to go. For 50-ish dollars it's tough to beat... Free shipping too, and made in Murica (Oregon). 

Edited by ryridesmotox

• 2 weeks later...

As I am still interested in a polymer framed Tanfo, does anyone have any experience with disassmbly on these?  I am sure that Ary has took these down before and done some work.  

After looking at one in person, the trigger pin, hammer pin, are noticably absent.  Looks to be much different than the steel frame Tanfo's.  

Ary, or anyone else with experience with these, what is the procedure on taking these down for polishing, changing springs etc.?  Trying to get a better understanding on this before I actually pick one of these up.  Pictures would be great if anyone has any of a poly framed Tanfo taken down.

Brad