Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Storage

abb1

Hmmm, not too sure what topic to put this under, but I shoot mostly 9mm, so here it is. I have had the opportunity to purchase an abundance of powder. I now have 14 lbs of powder which will last me for a while. I have always kept my powder stored in the garage during the winters. The thing is that here in Canada, the garage gets to -20C (-4F) on a good day, plus or minus 5 degrees. It says to store powder in a cool dry place, it doesn't say anything about arctic temperatures. Will my powder be ok stored at those temperatures for an extended period of time? I tried looking but could not find much other than 'cool and dry place'. Thanks

12 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When it's -22 I doubt there is much water in the air, even at 67% humidity.

And the temperature is "perfect" for "powder"   :)

Thanks Jack! That provides a little assurance. I have two choices where I can keep it, in the garage or in the house. I have always kept it in the garage for safety reasons, however we are just experiencing an abnormally cold winter this year, and I wanted to make sure that this much powder would last through the winters continuosly at those temperatures. Although the jars are sealed, there seems to be condensation on the outside of the containers.

To elaborate on my previous response, my concern is that whatever humidity is in the air inside the containers (whether factory sealed or not) is going to condense (and then crystalize) at such low temps.  I know from prior contact that Hodgdon's support staff are responsive.  Why not email them and see what they say?

help@hodgdon.com

Before emailing - be aware that you may not get an answer. While we try very hard to reply in a timely manner, it is possible that your emails are being blocked by our spam filters or, more likely, a response from us is being blocked as it comes back to you. Some ISP’s have child protection or spam blocking in place that will not let us reply. A very significant percentage of workplace and government email servers will block a reply from us. If you do not get a timely reply, figure we are not able to communicate by email and call us, 913-362-9455
If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455

What you should be asking is if it's a GOOD idea -- "Should gunpowder be stored in a location subject to extreme temperature changes?"  And the answer to that is a fairly clear NO it's not a good idea -- it's not a preferred storage condition for anything.  Move that stuff indoors and into a closet.  

Edited by IDescribe

16 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

What you should be asking is if it's a GOOD idea -- "Should gunpowder be stored in a location subject to extreme temperature changes?"  And the answer to that is a fairly clear NO it's not a good idea -- it's not a preferred storage condition for anything.  Move that stuff indoors and into a closet.  

Hmmmm, I am getting mixed comments. I have moved my powder into a cabinet in the house. I just don't want to take a risk of having the powder having issues as I have enough powder to last me almost a year, and it will be in storage for a while. I always just felt it was safer storing it in the garage which I have always done, but usually only a pound or two at a time. I have also emailed Hodgdon for suggestions. Thanks

Edited by abb1

Look at it this way. Whatever moisture condenses inside the sealed jug because it got cold...was already there. With a sealed container, you aren't adding moisture to it just because it got cold. Conservation of matter. I live in Florida, where summers get to 95-100 degrees with 100% humidity. I keep my powders, in their original containers, out in my reloading shed, un-air conditioned,  unheated...never any problems. I would be more concerned of the plastic bottles becoming brittle in such low extreme temps....Humidity?  Condensation? No worries.

Powder storage in the cold is no issue if it's in sealed container. You have to think about those delivery trucks that transport mass amounts of powder. There not heated and they deliver powder in the winter from one end of Canada to the other. I have all my powder stored out side in a Sea-can that is unheated. -32c yesterday.

As stated , just let it warm up before opening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short term storage will is never an issue as I have stored powder in my garage for years. However, it is usually a container at a time. Now I have a lot that will be stored for a year, so it will be in there s cold and humidity for the next 4 months. 

Although the jars are sealed, there seems to be condensation on the outside of the containers.

That likely happened after a rapid tempature change. Consider keeping them inside an inexpensive cooler if you want to minimize that. You don't need a Yeti, anything on sale at Walmart would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, abb1 said:

Short term storage will is never an issue as I have stored powder in my garage for years. However, it is usually a container at a time. Now I have a lot that will be stored for a year, so it will be in there s cold and humidity for the next 4 months. 

No, it won't be in the humidity for the next 4 months because the containers are sealed. Unless some new magical humidity comes along and can permeate that plastic jug, you are only dealing with temperature changes, which shouldn't be an issue.

I live in michigan, and we get a lot of that great canadian weather. I have stored unopen container in the garage, never a problem. When I need powder I bring it in let it warm up or cool down for 24 hours and it stays in the reloading room after opening.

Well, I have heard back from Hodgdon on the topic:

' While the temperatures you experience in your location aren’t too alarming(excessive heat is far worse), we don’t normally advise long time storage in a garage type of environment.'

I guess it is what I assumed, for short term storage, not a big deal, however for long term, don't keep it in the garage under those conditions. In the house it goes :(!

Edited by abb1

On 12/13/2016 at 8:36 PM, abb1 said:

Well, I have heard back from Hodgdon on the topic:

' While the temperatures you experience in your location aren’t too alarming(excessive heat is far worse), we don’t normally advise long time storage in a garage type of environment.'

I guess it is what I assumed, for short term storage, not a big deal, however for long term, don't keep it in the garage under those conditions. In the house it goes :(!

Did they define long vs short term? Long term may mean like 20 years...

4 hours ago, thormx538 said:

Did they define long vs short term? Long term may mean like 20 years...

Yes, 1-2 years or possibly longer,  as that is what I told them I would be storing for. 

Edited by abb1