Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the new classifier

rowdyb

3 hours ago, JD45 said:

This classifier is not in the new rulebook that we waited on for years. So, you mean to tell me they came up with this AFTER they printed it?? And new scoring too!??

Plus it sounds like no one is even 100 percent sure where to reload?

I posted it above

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JD45 said:

This classifier is not in the new rulebook that we waited on for years. So, you mean to tell me they came up with this AFTER they printed it?? And new scoring too!??

Plus it sounds like no one is even 100 percent sure where to reload?

See post 4 in this thread

3 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

We are going to have a lot of "Ask the SO what to do and then do it as fast as you can." stages until the new policies and procedures settle in. 

Wonder what the 2019 rules will be like.

J-frame Optics. It's going to be the 5-shot BUG hotness.

I can't wait to mount a C-more to something that weighs less than it does.

On 11/15/2016 at 3:23 PM, B_RAD said:

Anyone think it was made easier on purpose?

Yes.

Because ... 1-second per point down.

Because of fear over their bread and butter customers (MM/SS) rage-quitting after being destroyed by the 15/20yd targets over and over if the classifier had retained it's same difficulty.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

6 hours ago, Bill Nesbitt said:

In stages with cover or concealment, shooters may reload standing still or on the move anytime as long as they are not exposed to unengaged targets during the reload

For the classifier, the targets (threats) that you engaged from 20 yards are technically going to be "new" threats when engaging the very same ones from 15 yards.....so some official clarification would be nice. My bet is on finishing the reload before leaving cover. 

Edited by gigamortis

3 hours ago, gigamortis said:

For the classifier, the targets (threats) that you engaged from 20 yards are technically going to be "new" threats when engaging the very same ones from 15 yards.....so some official clarification would be nice. My bet is on finishing the reload before leaving cover. 

I agree. When I posted that rule I thought I was still in the "New Rules" thread. :(

By the new rules, you should be able to do a moving reload. However, I'll bet the clarification will be a standing reload, even though it goes against the new rule. :(

22 minutes ago, Gcarr said:

Rules are funny things... #3.9 thru #3.9.4.1  To many rules ... To many ways to  interpret ... Creates chaos ... Takes all the fun out of it !!! 

Yeah.  When you have people standing around before the stage starts, acting like an interrogator, asking about every possible scenario in the stage and if it's legal, you know that your rules are bad.

Now the "clarified" rules seem almost as confusing/contradictory.

This pretty much makes up my mind about not renewing my membership.  I really wanted to make Master, and I'm sure I could under the current rules since I've improved a lot since my last Expert classifier...but what good is making Master if they're lowering the bar anyways.  It won't mean anything to me.

3 hours ago, LeviSS said:

I really wanted to make Master, and I'm sure I could under the current rules since I've improved a lot since my last Expert classifier...but what good is making Master if they're lowering the bar anyways.  It won't mean anything to me.

That's a valid point. So instead of being a paper master, earn it by beating your peers at a sanctioned match. I would find that more rewarding than hurdling the low bar. 

6 hours ago, Bill Nesbitt said:

I agree. When I posted that rule I thought I was still in the "New Rules" thread. :(

By the new rules, you should be able to do a moving reload. However, I'll bet the clarification will be a standing reload, even though it goes against the new rule. :(

I think it is a standing reload.

3.2.2.1 A cardboard target is deemed to have been engaged when the required number of shots for that target have been fired at the target.

So in the case of stage 3 of the classifier each target requires 4 rounds per string. So they are not engaged until you have fired all 4 rounds at those targets. So you cannot reload on the move in the open. Simple.

On the other hand, you are only allowed to engage each target with two shots from 20 yards.  Fire six shots, gun empty, all targets have been engaged as much as possible from that location.  Reload on the move.

(I don't really think it will be applied that way.)

59 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

So you're saying sandbag the classifier?

Who said anything about sandbagging? Unless we all have to reclassify, he could be good until his next sanctioned match. 

27 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

On the other hand, you are only allowed to engage each target with two shots from 20 yards.  Fire six shots, gun empty, all targets have been engaged as much as possible from that location.  Reload on the move.

(I don't really think it will be applied that way.)

I don't think the rules says "engaged as much as possible" it says "required number on shots" In this case those strings require 4 shots per target.

I think we just want to reload on the move so we are trying to read into more than what is there.

I'd say it's easier.  It's the fewer headshots and the fewer shots at 20 yards.  I can tell you that for the people whose vision is starting to slide, the difference between 15 and 20 yards with iron sights is going to be of significant help.

IDPA released the following some time ago...

What About Reloading Along Cover?

The big question seems to be why one can’t reload across an opening if targets are engaged, and why can one reload while crossing a room if targets are engaged. The answer is in the concealed carry premise of IDPA. That is, the shooter does not know how many bad guys there are or where they are located. With that in mind, one can reload while moving across a room that has just been cleared because that is a known space with contiguous walls that the shooter controls. This is not true of an opening, which does not have a contiguous wall and may be 2 feet across to 10 yards across and that has not been cleared. The shooter’s attention should not be averted by reloading in this higher risk situation.

7 minutes ago, Gcarr said:

IDPA released the following some time ago...

What About Reloading Along Cover?

The big question seems to be why one can’t reload across an opening if targets are engaged, and why can one reload while crossing a room if targets are engaged. The answer is in the concealed carry premise of IDPA. That is, the shooter does not know how many bad guys there are or where they are located. With that in mind, one can reload while moving across a room that has just been cleared because that is a known space with contiguous walls that the shooter controls. This is not true of an opening, which does not have a contiguous wall and may be 2 feet across to 10 yards across and that has not been cleared. The shooter’s attention should not be averted by reloading in this higher risk situation.

huh, none of that is relevant any longer. We can now reload across openings or in the open as long as targets are engaged. Have you read the new rule book?

Anything related to past rule books is no longer valid.