Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 short colt crimp

fenwick

Need 38 short colt load for uspsa and Big Dawg plates. I have 160 & 135 Bayou and Blue 147 all 38 caliber.

Dillon 550 with .38 sizing die, 9mm bell & 9mm seater die. My concern is the crimping. I have a 9mm lee U die

and std. 9mm crimp die. shooting 627 pc (357/38) . which crimp die is preferred and how much crimp .

I started loading Short Colt with both 135 and 160s. Purchased a Lee Short Colt die set. That crimp die has no markings.

Don't use a heavy crimp, just remove the flair and a bit more.

I quickly gave up on Shorts for 2 reasons. Odd expensive brass and got some pressure signs.

Quickly readjusted the dies for 38 mid (Special cases trimmed to .900") same as 38 Super. Just works better for me. After more experiments, I cut the cases to .850". Loading 160s over VV N310 to a PF of 115.

Start low and work up.

I use the Lee 38 special "U" die with the Lee 38 short Colt due set with the Lee FCD (9mm) with no problems with the 160 Bayous. My crimp is approximate .001. I would think that if your brass isn't expanding and you only use that gun, you shouldn't have any problems. When I shot short colts out of my 9mm cylinder they bulged really bad and I chose not to shoot them in that gun anymore.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bayou 160 Coated RN 38 short colt f100 OAL 1.180 Taper Crimp .370 2.7 clays or 3.0 titegroup give 830+f/s & 130+PF.

When I tried to drop the OAL below 1.180 found an occasional bulged case from a combo of bullet too deep and the web of case too thick.

25 yd accuracy in my 627 pc 5" is one ragged hole 1.5" or less.  Recoil is bunny fart type to me, less than any 9mm semi-auto.

Tried Roll Crimp and didn't see any advantage, so I'm using a Taper Crimp at anything from .365 to .371. Don't see any bullet pull and the Taper Crimp seems to feed smoother.

Haven't seen any pressure issues, well one 147 plated load that I loaded with way too much powder and had a sticky case issue, but not with any of my other sane loads.

Another note if you use the light clays load get the Dillon Small Powder Charge Bar and if you have an option Don't Use the new style powder measure.  The anti=double feed arm seems to cause light loads with clays at the 2.7 charge weight.  The Titegroup load seems more consistent in the new Dillon powder measure, Titegroup just seems to get the gun hotter quicker.

FWIW my gun loves the 160 but the lighter bullet weights, and I did try the 135 Bayou's, added an inch or more to the groups.

Edited by pskys2

• 2 years later...

I have the Lee FCD.

I use it for all my loads now.

Just set it to straighten bell or at most .001-.002 under the case diameter prior to the crimp stage.

I shoot .358 dia. bullets out of my 9mm and 38's they don't smoke or loose any accuracy.

Bayou Bullets

If you crimp them really hard with the FCD, people have reported lots of smoke from their loads and loss of accuracy.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

I have the Lee FCD.

I use it for all my loads now.

Just set it to straighten bell or at most .001-.002 under the case diameter prior to the crimp stage.

I shoot .358 dia. bullets out of my 9mm and 38's they don't smoke or loose any accuracy.

Bayou Bullets

If you crimp them really hard with the FCD, people have reported lots of smoke from their loads and loss of accuracy.

What exactly do you mean by FCD (factory crimp die) and if so what size would I need for 38  short colt (9mm)?

• 4 years later...

I load .38 Short Colt on a Dillon 750.

Station 1: Dillon old style .357 sizing die

Station 2: Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnel

Station 3: Mr Bullet Feeder dropper die

Station 4: Lee 9mm seating die

Station 5: Lee 9mm factory crimp die

I crimp until I see a ring on a pulled bullet.

1 hour ago, louu said:

Don't laugh but I use berry's for everything 

Berry's plated are good bullets, but I couldn't make power factor with them. I switched to Bayou coated bullets.

I'm loading a Bayou Bullets 160gr RN, over 3gr of Clays at 1.20 OAL.

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

go with a 9mm taper crimp

On my Dillon 750 I run a .38 special sizing die in station #1

Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnel in station #2

Mr Bullet Feeder dropper die in  Station 3

Lee 9mm seating die in Station 4

Lee 9mm crimp die in station 5.

I use Dillon thin locknuts on the Lee dies.

This set up works just fine.