Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One mistake I hope I never make again.

While loading up some practice ammo I had a small jam on my press.  I thought I took the bad bullet off the press but then I got a little distracted and finished reloading it and the other bullets on the shell plate.

Ooops.  Got scared that one bullet may have been a double charge.  I'm sure I took that one off the press before I continued but then I wasn't so sure.

I had just loaded up 300 rounds into the bin. 

I didn't want to throw away all those rounds.   Weighing them was no help.  I've often seen a variance of 2 - 3 grains in bullet weight as well as the weight of the cases.  So unfortunately it was time to pull 300 bullets.

I have a kinetic bullet puller but what a pain it is to do even a small bunch.

I invested in an RCBS Collet Puller.   What a great product.  I took two sessions over two days to pull them all and didn't find the overcharged round.  I knew I took it off the press when it happened, but better safe than sorry.

I mounted the pullet on an old single stage Lee press that I've had for 40 years.  Glad I didn't throw it away. 

Now I have 300 cases and bullets to put back together. 

You definitely did the right thing. I might buy one of the collet pullers to fiddle with. I don't pull many but over the course of a season I get a little bin full of suspect rounds

Somewhere, someone mentioned that they empty the bin on the press every time they refill primers for exactly this reason.

When you catch an issue, you never have more than 100 potentially defective rounds.

I went back to using the small Dillon bin on my 650 and I've been doing that ever since!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Somewhere, someone mentioned that they empty the bin on the press every time they refill primers for exactly this reason.

When you catch an issue, you never have more than 100 potentially defective rounds.

I went back to using the small Dillon bin on my 650 and I've been doing that ever since!

Brian suggested that and that's what I now do.

On 11/3/2016 at 5:00 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I too, empty the hopper every 100 rounds. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/5/2016 at 9:19 PM, echotango said:

I have a dedicated single stage just to pull 9mm. Comes in handy as a kinetic puller sucks after about 3 rounds. 

Yep same here, cheap lee C-press and Hornady puller.  I tried the RCBS collet puller originally (pictured) but have better results from the Hornady.

Also subscribe to the 100 round pull theory as well.

a8l2Kpw.jpg

On 11/3/2016 at 4:00 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Im even more paranoid than that, I go every 50. :)

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, JohnRodriguez said:

the times that I have done a double, I will load a bullet, zero it on my electronic scale and then put the loaded bullets on it one at time and find the one that is + whatever your charge is.  never let me down.

My brass will vary way too much for that to work for me.   3 or 4 grain variance in mixed pistol brass is not uncommon plus bullet weight variance.   I've never been able to do that. 

2 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

My brass will vary way too much for that to work for me.   3 or 4 grain variance in mixed pistol brass is not uncommon plus bullet weight variance.   I've never been able to do that. 

I agree, disaster waiting to happen there for pistol loads....

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:22 PM, JohnRodriguez said:

I  load a bullet, zero it on my electronic scale and then put the loaded bullets on it one at time and find the one that is + whatever your charge is.  never let me down.

Unfortunately, one day, it will let you down.  As noted above, NOT a reliable solution to the problem   ...

never let me down so far.  I don't use range brass.  only R-P for my super, federal for my 40 and 9mm and 38 special.   I've only used it for suspected squb loads.   it's not that hard to narrow down the suspected, then pull 10 instead of 100.   I would be easier to switch to a powder that requires almost full capacity to load for what you are doing than a powder that can easily take two charges and never notice that it happened, try ramshop true blue, you would never be able to load a double with that powder.

Edited by JohnRodriguez
can't spell squib

Any time something goes wrong on the press, the first thing I do is dump the ammo already in the bin (it's good).  Then everything on the press get dumped into another bucked that I will pull later when I'm loading ammo for practice.  Yes, it's overkill, but it hasn't failed me yet.