Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimized Firing Pin - Extended and more mass

PatriotDefense

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Deathray said:

I hear if you snort the turnings it gives you super powers.

I tried snorting... But for me, suppository works much better... And a large depleted uranium suppository will get my bunghole ready for the new California gun laws.

I don't know about uranium suppositories....but I'm looking forward to seeing the new Patriot Defense pins up close and personal.

I'm going to nab some CCI primers to go along with the WINS and Wolf.  

8 hours ago, aandabooks said:

How many primers of different brands would you consider to be an adequate sample size to determine reliability?

At least a few hundred. Preferably 500 with 80% da. (But who has that much ammo ?)   Reliability testing is rigorous as low failure rates are hard to say they are gone.

I prefer a minimum 100 da then go one spring rate higher for any critical use, like a match, as the first cut.  Then shooting some fast Bill drills, then a bunch of one and two shot drills.  

But, the hammer spring is often used to overpower failures in other areas. fail to go fully into battery or bullet touching the lands can be masked with a harder hit. High primers, or even not deep enough also can be masked. Same with rough surfaces on the moving ignition system / FBP. So, if I get 100% reliability then use my crazy uncle Larry's ammo, I might have problems.  Always think about optimizing the whole system to enhance reliability from the ammo loading bench to the tip of the firing pin and all points between.  The benefit is a robust system with a really good trigger. 

5 hours ago, Apolo said:

The guy that John knows, that would love to do some extensive testing is me...?

Sorry, but "that guy" already got a ship notice.... ;) . . Yippie!

Edited by johnbu

I'm going to get some fiocchi primers... Those seem to be harder to pop than an iron Chevy big block 

From what I've heard the CCI is actually a little harder than Fiocchi. Fiocchi is like winchesters if one were to trust a guy over here that tried all three. Myself, I have only tried Federals and Fiocchi.

6 hours ago, tedahlenius85 said:

From what I've heard the CCI is actually a little harder than Fiocchi. Fiocchi is like winchesters if one were to trust a guy over here that tried all three. Myself, I have only tried Federals and Fiocchi.

That has not been my experience.

I shoot a lot of the Fiocchi (Perfecta is Fiocchi)
I have zero issue popping them with a #14 Wolf, stock hammer (heart one that everyone hates) and the Henning firing pin....Then again, I don't have any trouble popping CCIs either.
With new PD Pin, I'm confident I could go with #13 on their spring, maybe #12

Edited by IronArcher

Hopefully reaming my chamber helped... The fiocchi I had a hard time with was at a match... Changed to a 14lbs hammer spring... Started clipping firing pin spring... Started doing a native American dance to the bullet gods of lead and copper... No dice. Still like 60% failure to ignite. Broke out the stock firing pin... Better but still not perfect. After the reamed chamber, everything seems better. But that misfortune with the fiocchi won't have me running back anytime soon. And this wasn't the perfecta fiocchi, it was standard 115gr fmj fiocchi from my local shop.

Edited by ryridesmotox

Right now I got Xtreme light fp spring and hammer spring plus titan hammer and i had 3 light strikes of 300 rounds and they all popped when hitting them a second time in DA, pretty sure they were seated a little high since i had a couple of those in my last practice batch. Otherwise I think fiocchi primers is really reliable. And cheapest primer on the market here in sweden.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

Yea if they go off the second strike, they need to be deeper... That's what she said. Have you checked the chamber to make sure that isn't part of the issue?

Probably a primer issue.  but could be the chamber too if a random overall length gets too long. How close to failing plunk is your ammo? Could a long one sneak in?  (I'm sure ryridesmotox will point out the joke there) lol

Yea if they go off the second strike, they need to be deeper... That's what she said. Have you checked the chamber to make sure that isn't part of the issue?

I know some that have reamed their s2 barrels here. So that might be something I will do in the future. But my current loads I used for my CZ spin freely in the chamber, so I dont think thats the problem with this load. Same headstamped brass too. Primer seating is probably the thing that might f*#k it up in these rare cases for me. Will make a new load for the tanfo soon, so then I'll see if needs to be reamed

If 100% of your ammo drops in and spins freely, reaming your barrel won't change anything.

How much longer can you load your ammo before it stops spinning when dropped in? If it's only .005" or so, it's possible that the odd rounds that aren't going off happen to be the longest ones coming off of your press.

If you have an extra .010" or more, then that isn't likely an issue.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

"That guy" got a package in the mailbox today.... naturally, my 9mm barrels are just getting returned from Beven Grams....

But, I have a 40sw S2 to play with.  Hmmmm, that reminds me....got something to do.... see ya!

Ill let John give a more in depth of what he's seen so far, but we are making a few small changes to the design. I tried to take up some of the slack in how much the FP moved before being stopped by the FPB..... Well that caused a slight timing issue with how the FP is released occasionally seeing a light strike in DA. Also tweaking some other areas of the pin as well so its "optimized" for your shooting pleasure.

We're still seeing an average of 2-3" increase in vertical launch in DA, and about 3-4" in SA

Its in enough of a bind that it doesn't allow the FPB to release the FP and you in up literally "hammering" it through the FPB. I now know why they leave that slop in there so the FP more or less floats to the rear of the FPB channel..... It was my fault in the design, just trying to tighten things up a bit. 

Interesting things. In broad, Joe sent 2 prototypes and both are launching pencils higher than EGx pin.

But... no good deed goes unpunished. The tolerances are tighter and a few oddball things have cropped up. We talked, Joe listened and together figured out what was occurring.   one gun had an extractor that intruded into to FP channel  and slowed the pin and allowed it to bind.  Taking that apart a half dozen times...fun!  Filed the pivot area smaller and polished it mirror bright. Fixed it.

There were a couple other areas that could be even more gooder. We discussed those too. Even with that all said, i was able to run a couple hundred rounds without failure AFTER dropping to a 12 hammer spring using Wolfe primers.  i think they are harder than winchester but slightly easier than cci.  i was doing a lot of 1, 2 and 3 shot drills so about 2/3 were in DA. The primer divots are deep like factory. So I'm pretty happy with the result to date.

I don't  like the sub 1# sa i get with the 10 hammer spring so it will be evaluated last with the final version. With the 12, i get 4# 13oz da and 1# 3 oz sa.  I'm far too ham fisted for a lighter trigger!    when i evaluated the 10# before, da was in the 3# 12 oz range and was federal limited. It would be interesting to see what it can pop w this configuration.....

Edited by johnbu