Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 custom Shadow & long bullets

1eyedfatman

I shot my CZ SP01 custom Shadow last night and had the slide lock up hard 2x before I switched guns.  I was shooting Freedom Munitions 147g reloads which I shot reliably out of my Glock 34.  I've heard that the CZ-custom SP01 Shadows have short chambers.  The bullets that jammed had a dent mark on them.  How did some of you guys handle this?  I can reload short 147g for my CZ, but I like to use factory ammo (even reloads) for major matches so I have to rely on their length.  I reload with range brass and feel like I get better reliability with factory ammo and reduce malfunctions.  I could have the chamber reamed out, but CZ-custom said that could effect accuracy.

My Shadow and SP01 (same barrel) both take a 1.135" OAL with a truncated cone bullet such as the Bayou 147 grain.  With BBI's more rounded 147 the ogive is farther forward and the max OAL is 1.080.  I just back the TiteGroup off a tenth of a grain and we're fine.  Accuracy for both is fine (the CGW replacement barrel bushing is probably a factor in that). 

I figure that if I have the barrel reamed so the round-nose bullet can be loaded longer (and why?), then the TC will also have to be loaded longer, to be close to the barrel throat, for accuracy.  Trade-offs are everywhere.  I've just let it be, and they work fine.  

I bought a throat reamer from Brownells and reamed by CZ, my M&P Apex barrel and my RIA 1911. Now I can load them all the same. It didn't change accuracy a bit, but makes them much more tolerant for feeding. I don't notice any change in accuracy when I use my shorter loads in them either. My RIA need longer rounds for reliable feeding and my Apex was actually the shortest throat of all of them. I was getting tired of trying to keep track of which of my loads worked in which guns. Now all my 9mms take all my reloads and I'm much less likely to have a feeding issue if I change bullets to a new profile or something.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

With a MG 124 JHP, I had to load to 1.085...with a PD 147 FMJ RN, I can load out to 1.150...currently use a lead 147 and load to 1.150...I have not reamed the barrel.

I have shot 1.155 plated rn out of my shadow as well without issue. Its ammo that i use for my 2011s. It does however hit the rifling a bit when doing the plunk test. Its not too noticeable until you try twisting the round in the chamber.

On 10/21/2016 at 8:53 PM, Polymer said:

Ream it. Contact Beven Gram at Grams Engineering. $29 and best thing I ever did to my CZs and Tanfos.

Can he do Tactical Sport barrels too?

Blue bullets 147gr FP were the bullets that let me load the longest with my SP-01.

4 hours ago, LeviSS said:

Can he do Tactical Sport barrels too?

Blue bullets 147gr FP were the bullets that let me load the longest with my SP-01.

Yes. He did my tacsport barrel at the same time as my shadow barrel. I did the 10X bushings in both at the same time and couldn't be happier. I'm sending him my wife's G34 barrel so she can shoot my Ammo.

This is my least favorite thing about the 2 shadows I have owned.  I have owned a 2010 SP-01 Shadow and a CZ TS in 9mm.  I had issues with my Shadow locking up at anything over about 1.120 with the Montana Gold 124 CMJs.  I liked to load them at about 1.145 for all of my other 9mms, but found myself loading specific ammunition for the Shadow, or loading 115 grain Hornady FMJs, which didn't seem to matter given their profile.  I did not have issues with the TS.  I sold both that Shadow and the TS and went with an STI Marauder and I can load the 124 CMjs out to around 1.165 without issue.... but I tend to keep it in the 1.145 range to use one ammo for everything.... the 2011, Walther Q5, a PPQ, a VP9, and a Springfield XD. 

I recently got a CZ Accushadow Black and it's CZ Custom match barrel chamber/throat is longer, but I can still only load out to about 1.130 with the CMJs.  I like the pistol enough that I may just load everything shorter, but I would really love to have a little more room.  I feel like I had heard/read mixed results from reaming the barrel

On 10/24/2016 at 1:37 PM, craigkim said:

I recently got a CZ Accushadow Black and it's CZ Custom match barrel chamber/throat is longer, but I can still only load out to about 1.130 with the CMJs.  I like the pistol enough that I may just load everything shorter, but I would really love to have a little more room.  I feel like I had heard/read mixed results from reaming the barrel

I have an Accu that left CZC in 2015 and it has a standard barrel that was fit to the bushing, are the new ones fit with all new barrels?  

On 10/21/2016 at 8:11 PM, 1eyedfatman said:

I shot my CZ SP01 custom Shadow last night and had the slide lock up hard 2x before I switched guns.  I was shooting Freedom Munitions 147g reloads which I shot reliably out of my Glock 34.  I've heard that the CZ-custom SP01 Shadows have short chambers.  The bullets that jammed had a dent mark on them.  How did some of you guys handle this?  I can reload short 147g for my CZ, but I like to use factory ammo (even reloads) for major matches so I have to rely on their length.  I reload with range brass and feel like I get better reliability with factory ammo and reduce malfunctions.  I could have the chamber reamed out, but CZ-custom said that could effect accuracy.

I just bought the exact same gun.  I'm running 147 gr. flat-nosed bullets from Acme at 1.135. Zero feed issues. the variance in case length has given me a few rounds over 1.14 and they still chamber check just fine.  I also shot a box of CCI Blazer brass through mine with no issues.  

I used to have this problem, but now I drop every round in the Hundo case gauge from Ben's store. Problem gone. If it doesn't drop flush, I put it in the practice pile and pitch the brass. I load Xtreme 147's to 1.135 with 3.0 of TG. it's as accurate as anything I've used and I crono'd a 129 at the last match, so I'm happy with it.

2 hours ago, ArrDave said:

I have an Accu that left CZC in 2015 and it has a standard barrel that was fit to the bushing, are the new ones fit with all new barrels?  

No, not necessarily.  This is all very confusing if you ask me.  Mine is a CZC model #91735 from 2016.  I think that the custom fit match barrel was an option that increased the price $150 or so.  I was thinking that this was what made it a "CZC SP-01 Accushadow Black", but I could be wrong.  the only definite way I could discern between models was to use the model number.   The barrel is stainless and is a tad longer than stock, so it protrudes from the accu bushing about a 1/4" or maybe a bit more.  It looks about the same length as the Australian barrels I used to see.  Supposedly, and I think I read this on enos forums, the czc match barrels had saami spec chambers instead of nato spec like the stock barrels.  I notice more forgiveness over my stock shadow, but it is still shorter than I would like.  I am pretty nervous to have it reamed, because I shoot this one a LOT better than my other Shadow and that Shadow had a full CGW trigger parts workover, so it definitely isn't the trigger. 

23 minutes ago, craigkim said:

No, not necessarily.  This is all very confusing if you ask me.  Mine is a CZC model #91735 from 2016.  I think that the custom fit match barrel was an option that increased the price $150 or so.  I was thinking that this was what made it a "CZC SP-01 Accushadow Black", but I could be wrong.  the only definite way I could discern between models was to use the model number.   The barrel is stainless and is a tad longer than stock, so it protrudes from the accu bushing about a 1/4" or maybe a bit more.  It looks about the same length as the Australian barrels I used to see.  Supposedly, and I think I read this on enos forums, the czc match barrels had saami spec chambers instead of nato spec like the stock barrels.  I notice more forgiveness over my stock shadow, but it is still shorter than I would like.  I am pretty nervous to have it reamed, because I shoot this one a LOT better than my other Shadow and that Shadow had a full CGW trigger parts workover, so it definitely isn't the trigger. 

Oh good grief, they need an index.

I must be too much of a noob to understand the reasoning behind not reaming due to accuracy. The barrel is over 4" long on these guns and you are going to ream like 1/10 of an inch. I would think that the barrel after 5,000 rounds would have degraded enough to affect accuracy more than that 1/10th of an inch.

1 minute ago, mikeinctown said:

I must be too much of a noob to understand the reasoning behind not reaming due to accuracy. The barrel is over 4" long on these guns and you are going to ream like 1/10 of an inch. I would think that the barrel after 5,000 rounds would have degraded enough to affect accuracy more than that 1/10th of an inch.

There is nothing to worry about regarding accuracy (of course, assuming someone doesn't use a file).  You hit it on the head, we are not loading precision rounds in a 24" barrel for 600 yard shots.

Edit to add - we are not increasing the size or length of the chamber, we are talking about the leade or throat to load longer overall.

On 10/26/2016 at 9:34 AM, Delta66 said:

chamber check 

That would be step one for me.

i've got a 75 compact, an 85, and a cts ls. They all like sns 147 tc at 1.15, and none has been reamed. 

Only problems I have had has been with short ammo. 

23 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

There is nothing to worry about regarding accuracy (of course, assuming someone doesn't use a file).  You hit it on the head, we are not loading precision rounds in a 24" barrel for 600 yard shots.

Edit to add - we are not increasing the size or length of the chamber, we are talking about the leade or throat to load longer overall.

Don't forget that reaming the chamber will increase the possible OAL for all cartridges but it won't make the max OAL equal for all bullets, because of their differing profiles.  You'll still have to have different OALs for different bullets.  

Reaming one gun or another could allow you to match them up so you can use the same cartridges (at a given OAL) in different guns, as stated above.   Interesting idea. 

On 10/26/2016 at 10:00 AM, kipdynamite said:

I used to have this problem, but now I drop every round in the Hundo case gauge from Ben's store. Problem gone. If it doesn't drop flush, I put it in the practice pile and pitch the brass. I load Xtreme 147's to 1.135 with 3.0 of TG. it's as accurate as anything I've used and I crono'd a 129 at the last match, so I'm happy with it.

You load 147 xtrme w/3.0 gr of tite group and get 129 pf out of a CZ SP-01?

Mine only barely made 125 with 3.2 gr  

If this helps, my SP01 Shadow gets 131 with 3.1 TG and 129 with 3.0 Bullseye, both at 1.135" (chrono'd just recently).  My regular Shadow is pretty close to this.  Same barrel in both guns.  Prochrono chronograph, 72 deg temp.

31 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

You load 147 xtrme w/3.0 gr of tite group and get 129 pf out of a CZ SP-01?

Mine only barely made 125 with 3.2 gr  

I did. I was worried, but at the last match, they made us crono, so I was super happy!

22 minutes ago, kipdynamite said:

I did. I was worried, but at the last match, they made us crono, so I was super happy!

I had a friend with a XDM 5.25 stuck around in case my amok wouldn't pass in my gun. 

I must have a slow barrel.