Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Shoots Limited 10? on the regular?

ScottieShootz

I'm seriously considering shooting L10 at every match now just to change things up and add more reloading to my stages. I enjoy the reloading game and shooting production doesn't thrill me.  Besides being in the middle of a new Open build, everyone is in Open/Limited and the handful of guys shooting L10 in the area are always the same group.  Why not mix it up a bit!

Anyone on here shoot L10 as a regular division?  I have 4 140mm mags, I probably need to order 1 more for 5 in total don't I? (may give mbx a shot)

I shoot L10 on the regular as I live in the non free state of NY.  I always think its funny how much guys hate reloading when I go to a free state for a match.  We may as well have open 10 here too hahaha.  It is what it is.  I just like to shoot and I have to deal with it.  I certainly wouldn't volunteer to shoot it if I had a choice tho.  I guess the grass is always greener, right?  As far as the mags go it really depends on the stage.  There may be situations where a reload is ideal after only 6 rounds or less.  Take note of the production guys in your area.  L10 is just production with fancier equipment.  On a 32 round stage you may need 5 mags.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  If nothing else you will get really good at reloads.

You can probably "get by" with just 4. At least 5 is a good idea, but more is ideal. More mags means more options. Plus its nice to have spares in case one is giving you fits. I'm a SS shooter and I rock 6 on the belt, but I carry 10 mags total in my bag just in case. Most production guys I shoot with prefer to have at least 5 on their belt plus 1 in the gun.

Edited by js1130146

7 minutes ago, ScottieShootz said:

I don't have to follow magazine placement rules on the hip correct with L10.  same rules as limited just 10round mags, 11 to start with 1 in the pipe.  I'm going to need to pick up another racemaster mag pouch as well. 

Yup. The only difference is mag capacity.

I also live in a non-free state; Hawaii.  10 round handgun mags here and no SBRs/suppressors/full auto.  Main division I shoot at home is L10, simply because we cant do regular Limited.  When I shoot majors in the Mainland I shoot mostly Limited with 20 rnd Brazos mags, once in a while I'll shoot Open and make use of my 32 rnd Big Stick.  Tried Production at Area 1 once....afterwards I decided if I'm going to spend $2k on a match I'm going to break out my hi-cap mags and do Limited/Open.

As for L10, I carry 5 mags on the belt with one in the gun, though I usually only use 4 mags on a stage.  Once in a while we'll get an outlaw 50 round stage so I'll run 7 mags.  With L10 its better to have extra mags than need one and not have it. 

I've been shooting Limited 10 for a couple of months now.  I'm using entirely the same setup, gun and all, as I do for Single Stack, except for the 10-round magazines.  I don't take advantage of the greater freedom with holster and mag pouch placement, I just keep my belt as I do for Single Stack.  I find the two extra rounds come in quite handy for a good number of the Thursday night stages.  Some nights I'm the only club member in the Limited 10 division and other nights I have some company.  It's a lightly represented division, for sure.

I'm using a Springfield TRP 1911, .45 ACP.

I'm not constrained by state laws to stay within 10 rounds.  Having shot with 8-round magazines for almost a year and a half, 10 rounds seems like a lot!  I still have to be efficient, can't stand there spraying and praying as I sometimes see with the Open guys.  Oops, did I just say that?

Edited by GunBugBit

4 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

I must be one of the only people in a free state that is actually wanting to shoot L10. 

Everyone I've seen shoot is using a gun that would not be competitive in limited, like LEO's using their .40 or .45 duty gun, or dudes with 1911's.

I wish it were more popular because I vastly prefer 10 rounds to 8.... so I shoot ss minor instead.

33 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Everyone I've seen shoot is using a gun that would not be competitive in limited, like LEO's using their .40 or .45 duty gun, or dudes with 1911's.

I wish it were more popular because I vastly prefer 10 rounds to 8.... so I shoot ss minor instead.

Right, I see that as well. I've got a buddy that wanted to try USPSA and shoots L10 because he has a bull barrel 1911, so he bought a bunch of 10round mags. 

and here I am with a 2011 build wanting to add more reloads to my game.....

6 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

Right, I see that as well. I've got a buddy that wanted to try USPSA and shoots L10 because he has a bull barrel 1911, so he bought a bunch of 10round mags. 

and here I am with a 2011 build wanting to add more reloads to my game.....

Just shoot Limited and drop your mags more often.  The biggest reason not to shoot L-10 is that there is no heat in that division. Yes you can compare yourself to other divisions but it's not the same.

I have shot L10 for 5 years now, but I am switching to SS or Limited. The reason is there is no competition at many of the matches I go to. At Area 1 it wasn't even recognized. I am never going to win much of anything, but I do like to compete against people, thats the point of what we do. On a good day, I shoot against 2 other people. I do not understand why more people do not shoot this division. 

There have been countless arguments on even getting rid of the division, but after Hillary wins, it just might well be the only division. I would stay in L10 if there was more interest, but thats life........

11 hours ago, waktasz said:

Just shoot Limited and drop your mags more often.  The biggest reason not to shoot L-10 is that there is no heat in that division. Yes you can compare yourself to other divisions but it's not the same.

I just look at the overall, whether i'm shooting SS or whatever. Yeah, the guys with equal skill shooting limited or open have a few percent advantage, but I can calculate that in my head. My goal is to get closer to them than I was before, and stay in front of the less skilled guys shooting limited and open.

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I just look at the overall, whether i'm shooting SS or whatever. Yeah, the guys with equal skill shooting limited or open have a few percent advantage, but I can calculate that in my head. My goal is to get closer to them than I was before, and stay in front of the less skilled guys shooting limited and open.

Exactly this. Especially if you repeatedly shoot with the same people and they are somewhat consistent. While being at the top of the overall would be nice, at this point in the game my goal is to improve MY shooting. Beating people/winning is not my priority but instead a welcome side effect of improvement

Edited by js1130146

On 10/18/2016 at 7:43 PM, Edge40 said:

...  I always think its funny how much guys hate reloading when I go to a free state for a match.  ...

It also probably has to do with the fact that instead of taking apart and cleaning one mag after each stage one would have to take apart and clean multiple mags after each stage. Starting in July, 2017 CA will have a total ban on standard capacity mags. So, Limited and Open will be restricted to 10 rounds based on USPSA rules.