Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Shock Buffs on a Limited Major Gun

resortboarder

I bought a 6" STI Eagle with a 9lb recoil spring and a single alumabuff. Seems really light for a .40 major gun. My alumabuffs in other 170pf guns start to deform after ~300rds and cause issues.  

I have a friend who uses a polymer buff AND an alumabuff on his 6" eagle and hasn't had any issues yet. Anyone with experience trying this? Does it short-cycle the slide? Cause FTFs in some guns?

1 minute ago, bokbok_05 said:

I have a 5" Edge that don't run with a shock buff, polymer and alum.  Slide was short cycled.  Without buff, it runs without problems.  The thing is, try it with double shock buffs.  It may run with your pistol or not.....

Interesting. I've never seen one not run with a shock buff. Usually the first downside is not being able to slingshot the slide from slide-lock, which isn't an issue in Limited. I may have to just try it, but I only get out during matches and I'd hate to find it doesn't cycle after the buzzer goes off. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, resortboarder said:

I bought a 6" STI Eagle with a 9lb recoil spring and a single alumabuff. Seems really light for a .40 major gun. My alumabuffs in other 170pf guns start to deform after ~300rds and cause issues.  

I have a friend who uses a polymer buff AND an alumabuff on his 6" eagle and hasn't had any issues yet. Anyone with experience trying this? Does it short-cycle the slide? Cause FTFs in some guns?

I ran an alumabuff in front of a shock buff on my 6" SV with a 12# recoil spring with great results.  Well, except Brandon griped at me every time I took the gun to the factory......

I run an aluminum buff over a polymer buff in my 6" .40. I'm a fan, but I don't tell many people about it because they always tell me it won't work...

It also has a tungsten guide rod...

It will all likely explode one day.

1 hour ago, Scott Steele said:

Cominolli frame saver here.
No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd never heard about the Cominolli Frame Saver system. Seems unnecessary to have a buffer on the rear side of the flange, but yet not a gimic. I applaud their ability to introduce another design into the market that's not "the worlds first 4 SPRING total recoil reduction system."

Try 2 poly ones since they compress, that should keep the short stroke issues from happening.

The other option would be to have the gun stroked just a tad, which would involve taking some material off of the front of the forward frame rails and bottom of the slide where it hits the frame on the inside at the rear most portion of the stroke. Then you can run 2 shock buffs with no issues.

Try 2 poly ones since they compress, that should keep the short stroke issues from happening.

The other option would be to have the gun stroked just a tad, which would involve taking some material off of the front of the forward frame rails and bottom of the slide where it hits the frame on the inside at the rear most portion of the stroke. Then you can run 2 shock buffs with no issues.

I ran a stroke for years with a poly behind an aluminum and still had stroke. No problems with it and felt good with an 11# wolf variable.
Cominolli is all I use now in non stoke 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run polymer Shok-Buffs in all my guns, some with the Wilson Group Gripper, all with full length rods.

Replace them regularly and you won't have any problems. YMMV, some guns don't like having their stroke shortened even that little bit, some need a harder hit to rebound back fully into battery (but I think that's a spring problem, not a shokbuff problem).

I'll toss out another option. I use the SpringCo management systems in several of my comp guns.  The design makes a lot of sense, they are made in the USA, and it doesn't require any proprietary main springs. 

• 1 month later...

With my Edge .40S&W, I'm running the Cominolli (sp?) Frame Saver guide rod with two polymer buffs (one on each side of the base).  Flawless performance and makes the cycling feel very soft and easy on the pistol.  I love it.