Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Appropriate Choke for local club 3 Gun

theautobahn

I picked up a used Benelli M2 that had been worked on for 3 gun. It has the factory chokes, plus an extended LM (geez, now I'm wondering if it's IM). I left that choke in the gun for the last few matches, but with few exceptions, our local matches have shotgun targets at 25 yards or less. Knockdown steel, stationary clays, and sometimes pigeon flippers. I'm wondering if I should open up to IC?

I've made it through this season on 95% cylinder. The other 5ish percent was for spinners and distant heavy set poppers. The previous season I hadn't patterned my shotgun and didn't really know what spread the various chokes had, so I had no confidence in it and ran LM a lot. I noticed I was missing close clays and steel way too much and decided to do my homework. To say it paid off is an understatement. 

13 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I've made it through this season on 95% cylinder. The other 5ish percent was for spinners and distant heavy set poppers. The previous season I hadn't patterned my shotgun and didn't really know what spread the various chokes had, so I had no confidence in it and ran LM a lot. I noticed I was missing close clays and steel way too much and decided to do my homework. To say it paid off is an understatement. 

They're just fun matches (but I am a wee bit competitive). There's only three matches left in the series this year, but next year I'll get serious about getting some more extended chokes and truly patterning them.

All I did this year was make sure that the one I was using shot to POA/POI.

But I agree with you - I think I'm switching it out for the IC.

I shot a local like that last weekend.

IC was fine except when I Miked a buck target....I blame that on some cheapie Rio 00 haloing 1 of 4 paper at under 15yds.  If I really cared, I had a pack of Flitecontrol in my trunk.

I know my slug hold using an IC, and everything fell down.

Guys running Mod or tighter got into trouble on their timing moving thru a lane too fast.  I didn't have that issue.

Aerial clays it wasn't an issue bc I don't spend anytime on trap or skeet, so I'll blame my indifference instead of a choke.

Edited by somebrains

• 2 weeks later...

If your shots are all close Id shoot open.  Many local matches mean shooting out of a pistol bay, if that is the case usually open is the way to go.  But until you go out and pattern your gun you really dont know.  Another variable you can play with is shot size.  You can change chokes or leave in one choke and change ammo.  Or a combo of the two, I would find something that is simple and you have tested the pattern of each. 

13 hours ago, target4fun said:

If your shots are all close Id shoot open.  Many local matches mean shooting out of a pistol bay, if that is the case usually open is the way to go.  But until you go out and pattern your gun you really dont know.  Another variable you can play with is shot size.  You can change chokes or leave in one choke and change ammo.  Or a combo of the two, I would find something that is simple and you have tested the pattern of each. 

Saturday practice with #8 and 7 1/2 IC wasn't the way to go.

I was catching it not taping and resetting while adjusting my caddies.

I was trying out different brand shells and it was a major pain btw runs just keeping shells on my belt.

With the #6 I was using for my local match I could beat everything down with an IC.

Next time I'm going to set off by myself and pattern shot.

I should grab a plate rack and sort some things out in a different bay.

Our practices can be chaotic with everyone trying to turnaround as many runs as they can, while individually focusing on some such problem.

Yeah best way is actually not on steel but buying a roll of butcher paper.  draw a circle (same size of your largest target) example 8 inch circle then clay size target in center of that.  Then test your pattern and recording your: distance to target, choke size, shot size, ammo brand.  Easy way to do this is to write all that data on bucher paper in a good spot after you take the shot.  Next take pictures of all the combination if you use the same 8 inch circle and clay the scale will make it a bit easier when looking a pictures on a future reference.  Then at a match you can scroll to the picture and work the shotgun for your hardest shot.  Hope this helps

I'm doing fine with IC most all the time in my M2,  I do bring along a Mod choke also which I could change to for long steels or spinners but have not had to do so.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

IC is easy, but I have been feeling sloppy on something like 8 steels in a row.

I'm going to choke down and set myself up a simple practice run this weekend and tighten up.

It's really noticeable on a pipe sitting on an i beam that won't go down b/c you walked so far past it or aren't hitting it square.

IC I kinda take everything for granted.

18 hours ago, somebrains said:

IC is easy, but I have been feeling sloppy on something like 8 steels in a row.

I'm going to choke down and set myself up a simple practice run this weekend and tighten up.

It's really noticeable on a pipe sitting on an i beam that won't go down b/c you walked so far past it or aren't hitting it square.

IC I kinda take everything for granted.

That's the reason I have not switched yet, every time I think I want an IC I read another post just like yours and I say to myself "I do fine with a LM, why switch" 

Find your local trap range. They should have a grease board you can pattern on. Just step off your distance and shoot. You can see you pattern density with different chokes and different distance. With that said I carry 3 chokes. Skeet, IC and LM. Not much you can't do with all of those. And my slugs all hit an AC zone at 50 yards using the same hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, mveto said:

That's the reason I have not switched yet, every time I think I want an IC I read another post just like yours and I say to myself "I do fine with a LM, why switch" 

I swear it's a laziness issue in my case.  I'll start to hose and either Mike or a steel won't go down BC my focus has gone from neutralizing the target to running the trigger as fast as I can.  I've seen other guys intentionally run a diffuser choke that will splash other plates.  I'm at the point where I want to know 6 steel drop in 6 shots, rather than hope they drop in "surprise me".

I was using 1300fps #6 with an IC my last local match.  My gun would not cycle reliably with 1145fps 7 1/2 until I used a reduced power recoil spring.  7 1/2's IC is too loose.

I'll revisit big patterns later using bigger, hotter shot if I see another novelty target group like 10 2" eggs on a table.  I really appreciated the extra power with a loose choke.

I have the same problem with rifle & pistol, if I concentrate on making good hits then my times are lower.

If I'm speed racer, not so much.

Edited by somebrains

• 3 weeks later...

I have shot a couple all steel matches this year and my first 3 gun match. I started off with an IC at the steel match and it wasn't enough choke to knock down everything and that made for a rough day. I switched to a modified and I ran that at another steel match and my first 3 gun match and it knocked everything over no problem. Its a small 3 gun match so no slugs are needed.

On 11/4/2016 at 5:53 AM, SpaceMan said:

I have shot a couple all steel matches this year and my first 3 gun match. I started off with an IC at the steel match and it wasn't enough choke to knock down everything and that made for a rough day. I switched to a modified and I ran that at another steel match and my first 3 gun match and it knocked everything over no problem. Its a small 3 gun match so no slugs are needed.

Practicing on a plate rack with cheapie Federal bulk 7.5# I ran my usual IC and splashed the plates to either side.

When debugging my gun with STS and AA's IC was fine.

Pattern first, then go setup steel and play.....I need to follow that every time I change to a different batch of shells.