Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Screwed up a level II match

223to45

Got bumped from production to open.

Second to last stage, it was a start unloaded stage.

Opps, never dawned on me, I always have my first mag loaded to 11.

RO asked how many I started with, went bad from there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Guy on my squad at Tri-Cities level II went from Single Stack to Open on the next to last stage by retrieving a mag from a front pocket.

Unloaded start all mags on a shelf.  High round count stage. 

It was one that he'd dropped IIRC.

Meh, the good thing is that you still get to shoot, and you can still compare your scores to everyone else to see how you did. maybe you don't get a crappy trophy, but you learned something.

When I shoot production, I load all my mags to 10 and put my barney round (if required) in just before LAMR.

yeah, I was a little worried as we waited for the RM to show up, that it might be a DQ.

I was so far from trophy anyways it didn't really matter.

But the bright side was I got to burn up the next stage since I could fully load my mags.

12 hours ago, 223to45 said:

But the bright side was I got to burn up the next stage since I could fully load my mags.

which is probably fun, but I wouldn't have done that because then you can no longer look at the overall and really judge your performance against the other production shooters. A guy in my squad at A3 got bumped to open and decided to just keep shooting by production rules so that his match results would be useful for analysis.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 13, 2016 at 3:30 PM, 223to45 said:

Why did you get bumped?

I can't count the times I have been watching and seen people shoot 10 (or 8 in SS Maj) on an unloaded start, reload and not go to slide lock or have to rack the slide.  Most of the time the RO isn't paying enough attention and it slides by.

On 9/13/2016 at 2:30 PM, 223to45 said:

To me the penalty should fit the mistake . You did a boo boo & a procedural would have educated you not to do it again, without blowing a match that you paid significant money to attend and as far as I know were greatly looking forward to. 

Big time spankings for ticky tack fouls is something that I wish the rules committee would eliminate. It is no fun for the r.o. to body slam a good competitor and obviously no fun for the slamee.

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

To me the penalty should fit the mistake . You did a boo boo & a procedural would have educated you not to do it again, without blowing a match that you paid significant money to attend and as far as I know were greatly looking forward to. 

Big time spankings for ticky tack fouls is something that I wish the rules committee would eliminate. It is no fun for the r.o. to body slam a good competitor and obviously no fun for the slamee.

While I agree in theory, we all know that someone will find a way to game it where that extra round will save them enough time that the procedural won't matter.

49 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

While I agree in theory, we all know that someone will find a way to game it where that extra round will save them enough time that the procedural won't matter.

Probably, but so what :) . 

Figuring out when to break the procedural rules (throwing a make up on Virginia count or whatever) is part of the game and I don't know that it takes any of the fun or fairness out of the game. I'd rather err on the side of not giving the newer shooter a hard butt kicking. 

Just my opinion. 

More than likely, it will only be a butt that is kicked once for that infraction...I see it as more of an "unfair advantage"...an extra shot on a Virginia count classifier is not a planned event...unless you are sandbagging...most times a foot fault is not a planned event either...loading your mags to 11 on an unloaded start IS a planned event, whether you meant to or not.

Why not make gear position infractions procedurals as well then? New shooters have those same issues...

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Why not make gear position infractions procedurals as well then?

AOK and alrighty then!

:) 

Can't help it, I'm big on minor penalties and I hate match killers. Could be due to an improper upbringing , I started out with IDPA. 

On 9/25/2016 at 3:58 AM, ktm300 said:

I can't count the times I have been watching and seen people shoot 10 (or 8 in SS Maj) on an unloaded start, reload and not go to slide lock or have to rack the slide.  Most of the time the RO isn't paying enough attention and it slides by.

when I MD our sectional I make sure to put an RO I know will be counting shots on the stages with empty gun starts. 

it's also helpful to them if the stage layout makes firing 11 easy and obvious

Edited by MikeBurgess

22 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

when I MD our sectional I make sure to put an RO I know will be counting shots on the stages with empty gun starts. 

it's also helpful to them if the stage layout makes firing 11 easy and obvious

When I notice a newer person on my squad or just see what looks like a silly technicality trap I warn folks about downloading or whatever. 

I just really hate to see anyone's match result ruined because of ticky tack stuff. 

12 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

When I notice a newer person on my squad or just see what looks like a silly technicality trap I warn folks about downloading or whatever. 

yes, why not remind everyone when reading the wsb about any potential pitfalls.  uspsa etc should be about shooting and not about gotcha's.

51 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I just really hate to see anyone's match result ruined because of ticky tack stuff. 

Rules should not be described as ticky tack stuff. It's ok for fellow shooters to help squad mates but an RO should be making sure rules are followed by ALL shooters.

It sounds like some would have us write WSB's to include,"this is an unloaded start so make sure you don't have 11 rounds in a mag". Those kind of things are not "gotchas".