Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited - Recommended Starter 2011

EliteGuard

I was wondering what everybody would recommend as a starter 2011 to start shooting USPSA limited major. I have been debating between getting a competition ready pistol from Dawson Precision, a stock STI Edge with no upgrades, a Brazo's high performance edge, or buying a stock STI Edge then sending it to Atlas Gunworks for upgrades.

I have been shooting USPSA style matches for a couple of months now, but just joined USPSA this week to start getting classified. I have been shooting with an M&P9 with a couple of upgrades. The way I am looking at it right now is any gun will be a decent upgrade, but I am mostly wondering which one will keep me competitive for a while.

I should note I don't have the room to reload at the current moment so the gun will be shooting factory ammo. I have read post claiming 2011s shoot factory ammo fine and other post claiming it has problems.

Edited by EliteGuard

Brazos does tremendous work and has for some time.  I've got an Atlas modified Apeiro that I'm very pleased with as well.  I'd go with either the Brazos or the Atlas worked on options as having a professional look over a pistol and fine tune it is always preferable to me.

23 hours ago, EliteGuard said:

I have been shooting with an M&P9 with a couple of upgrades. The way I am looking at it right now is any gun will be a decent upgrade, but I am mostly wondering which one will keep me competitive for a while.

Depending on your skill level, the M&P may keep you competitive for a while.  I've seen people make A class shooting Lim Minor.  

I'm just peasant production shooter, so don't know a whole lot about 2011's and what they will or will not digest...but high performance race cars need high performance fuel...and the same can be said for guns. 

I started with a glock 34, that is what I was using in idpa. came across a tanfoglio limited  40 with all the Henning and Cajon goodies installed. Problem is I have nothing to compare the tanfog to. never shot any of the 2011 `s  What I can tell you about the tanfoglio. shoots and tracks great, a real pleasure to shoot. no FTF at all. from factory ammo to reloads, major / minor, super accurate.  you can get into this gun, with mods and 6 good mags $1300 to $1800 . I just could not afford a 2011 platform.  This gun shoots better than I ever will. quite sure it will serve me as far as I can go in this sport.  currently looking for a 9mm idpa legal. Want to keep the same platform "feel" for idpa also.

I'll suggest the tanfoglio elite limited too. I haven't made any mods to mine yet though. One thing it has over a 1911/2011 is that the barrel sits lower so there is less muzzle flip. They are also much cheaper than a 2011 but will compete with guns that cost much more.

On 9/9/2016 at 10:49 AM, Thaunk said:

Brazos does tremendous work and has for some time.  I've got an Atlas modified Apeiro that I'm very pleased with as well.  I'd go with either the Brazos or the Atlas worked on options as having a professional look over a pistol and fine tune it is always preferable to me.

How is the Apeiro compared to the Edge? It looks like the major difference is the island barrel. I am mainly looking at the Edge purely because it seems like that is the one everybody goes with besides the DVC or a custom build.

EliteGuard> Buying a cheaper 2011 then upgrading it usually costs the same in the end as getting a custom 2011 built. One major advantage that you have is your current location in Chandler AZ. There are a bunch of well known gunsmiths that produce solid custom 2011's in your area. Being local to them affords you the opportunity to see what they make first hand so you know what you are getting and why you are paying more for it.

I wouldn't waste extra money on upgraded versions of "Off the shelf" 2011's. For example, In all of the upgraded versions of STI's I have seen I am yet to see one that actually justifies its extra cost and still doesn't need additional upgrades to make it fully ready to rumble. If you can't afford a custom 2011 right now, then just get a standard STI Edge and add upgrades to it as your budget allows.

If you bought a standard STI Edge and put another $500 into it for a trigger job, magwell, guide rod, springs, mag release, etc it would be a solid performer. It may not look as cool as a DVC or Apeiro but it would perform much better than those guns right out of the box at less money in vested. 

You need to look at it this way. A "Ready to Go" STI Edge with all of the important upgrades will probably cost you about $2500. Having a custom 2011 gunsmith build you a 2011 from the ground up with all of the same parts would cost you about the same, BUT it would be built to much better tolerances than an off the shelf STI would be.

The way I see it, If I am going to spend "Custom Gun" money on a 2011 then I am going to get a Custom Gun built from scratch. 

18 hours ago, barebones1 said:

I started with a glock 34, that is what I was using in idpa. came across a tanfoglio limited  40 with all the Henning and Cajon goodies installed. Problem is I have nothing to compare the tanfog to. never shot any of the 2011 `s  What I can tell you about the tanfoglio. shoots and tracks great, a real pleasure to shoot. no FTF at all. from factory ammo to reloads, major / minor, super accurate.  you can get into this gun, with mods and 6 good mags $1300 to $1800 . I just could not afford a 2011 platform.  This gun shoots better than I ever will. quite sure it will serve me as far as I can go in this sport.  currently looking for a 9mm idpa legal. Want to keep the same platform "feel" for idpa also.

Limited Pro (2015 or newer frame) is what you need.

5 hours ago, EliteGuard said:

Thank you for the help everybody. Based on Cha-Lee's advice I am going to check out a couple of the custom 2011 builders in my area. So far I have found Glenn Custom and Cameron's Custom Guns, but I am sure there is more.

Also look into Tim Graves Custom guns and EMG custom guns. You can find their info with a quick google search.

I'm very happy with my CK Arms.   For the price you get a really nice gun, and they are almost always in stock at Shooter's Connection.  Mine is not flawless with standard length factory ammo though, so you would need to special order your ammo since you are not reloading.

Atlanta arms offers great new ($22 / box) and reloaded ($15) ammo loaded to 1.175", but I would make sure to order before I got low.  They are in stock as of right now, but the reloaded ammo has been out of stock for the last month.

I would definitely recommend moving up to a 2011, I would say if you have a good local gunsmith that specializes in 2011's and competition pistols get a stock STI and take it to the smith for a trigger job. This way you can get it tuned how you like it and have someone to go back to with questions. A stock STI with a trigger job is enough to keep you competitive for a long time with practice. The other advantage of upgrading to a 2011 now is all the gear and mags you buy for it will be compatible if/when you decide to upgrade to a custom pistol later on.

When I moved from production to Limited I started out using a Glock 35 as I was using a 34 in production and had the belt set up already. The Glock was great as it seems to run no matter what. Rain, mud, and factory ammo. It takes everything. I bought a DVC Limited in 40 and I could not be happier. This was the only one that I could find locally and I really wanted to get my hands on one before buying. I like the fact that it came ready to run out of the box, and I have not had to do anything to the gun. I keep it clean and dropped the recoil spring to a 12.5 lb spring and run MBX mags in it. It's been flawless. The only thing is I have to run longer OAL 1.180 ammo to run smoothly.