Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ability to remember long stage plans...?

johnbu

Obviously newer shooter. Getting better, but still really struggling with longer stages with 20+ targets ESPECIALLY when some are only seen in one or two angles. Leaving poppers unshot, getting 4A hits on one paper and none on another.... In some cases, my "plan" confused targets and called for double engaging and failing to engage because moving past barriors and differing angles messes me up.

I just can't figure out how to keep it all straight!

And the advice to "just remember it", isn't working so well. Lol.

Practice ...

It all comes with time and experience.

Scope out the COF as early as you can (preferably alone) so you

can spend some time learning where the targets are.

Don't just walk the shooting areas - walk around behind them -

make sure you find ALL the targets.

Figure out where and when you're going to reload, also. :)

From the WSB find out the number of targets, then verify by walking behind the stage and count them all. Then the first one or two walk throughs count the targets as you walk through. This will tell you if you are counting one twice, or missing one (or more). When you formulate your plan, pay special attention to the "gotcha" sections of the stage. It may be easier to remember to purposely engage the more difficult/hidden targets first, then the targets out in the open.

As is said many times before, it becomes easier the more matches you shoot.

As others have said, make sure you know where all the targets are. Then when you walk through, count shots. Make sure your walk through count matches the required hits count.

You should also plan shooting positions and only really pay attention to what you will shoot from each spot. Just because you can see a target doesn't mean you should look at it. Get that mental picture of what you will shoot at from each position burned into your head and don't even look at the others.

As others have said, make sure you know where all the targets are. Then when you walk through, count shots. Make sure your walk through count matches the required hits count.

You should also plan shooting positions and only really pay attention to what you will shoot from each spot. Just because you can see a target doesn't mean you should look at it. Get that mental picture of what you will shoot at from each position burned into your head and don't even look at the others.

That's where I ruin a stage. Ignore "target D" from spot 1, by the time I get to spot 3, where I should engage "target D", I'm confused as to which one is which and wind up shooting "target A-C" two more times but none on "D" or simply not shooting "D" because I already saw it.

That's the issue. I can't seem to figure them out. Especially when there is limited sight angles on one of 6-7 targets. Then move to where that one can be seen, but 6-7 are visible there too (some shot, some not)...I get confused as to which one was hidden before.

Oh, being and old geezer. I absolutely must shoot wearing reading glasses or I can't make out the front sight...at all. Great for aiming, but I cannot see the targets clear enough to make out holes.

Edited by johnbu

"Seeing the holes" should NEVER be part of your shooting plan ...

I don't know how it is in Wisconsin, but the matches I've shot are usually

pretty easy to figure out where the targets are - BUT not always.

I spent an HOUR trying to figure out one COF in Frostproof, once,

and NEVER did figure it out (I got there the day before).

Sometimes, they're just not "figurable" (that a word?). Shoot them

as best you can, double up on the shots if you have to, and have FUN :)

Find the targets, make your plan, visualize visualize visualize. If you find your 5 minute walkthrough is not enough to get a plan, get to the match a hour earlier and walk the stages and/or find the best shooter around in your division and see how he breaks it down. When you think you have the stage deciphered, visualize the poo out of it. For a 12 round stage, I'll shoot it as vividly as possible in my head at least 20 times before I physically shoot it. For a complex stage, 40-50 runs in my head easy. If you can't execute the stage in your head without hesitation, you certainly won't be able to do it for real to the best of your abilities.

That's the issue. I can't seem to figure them out. Especially when there is limited sight angles on one of 6-7 targets. Then move to where that one can be seen, but 6-7 are visible there too (some shot, some not)...I get confused as to which one was hidden before.

Oh, being and old geezer. I absolutely must shoot wearing reading glasses or I can't make out the front sight...at all. Great for aiming, but I cannot see the targets clear enough to make out holes.

First walk through and see what you will need to shoot from each location. Then figure out what you PLAN to shoot from each location. Then walk through and only focus on your plan. Then step aside, close your eyes, and see if you can replay your entire plan.

Also. When you're new, choose the simplest plan you can possibly conceive. In the example given above, even having to perform a standing reload to shoot targets A-D early on would have been better than failing to engage target D later on!

If the plan you have chosen isn't something that YOU personally can perform perfectly more than 90% of the time after rehearsing it, then it isn't the right plan to use.

Even GM ranked shooters will often opt to shoot stages in different ways. One might choose to take targets while moving while the other sprints, stops, and shoots. The longer you shoot the more you get to know your own strengths - don't forget that when you watch the fast guys shoot.

IMO, a novice shooter SHOULD NOT be shooting the same stage plan as the top guys when the stage is complex. Not until you've learned to commit a long series of actions to memory, that is.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I am new as well and counting the shots helped a lot. Before I was just trying to plan to shoot all the targets I could see and like you ended up with some unengaged and some engaged twice. Then no matter how you start going through possible stage plans you can always confirm you are accounting for all the targets (and never double counting).

Obviously newer shooter. Getting better, but still really struggling with longer stages with 20+ targets ESPECIALLY when some are only seen in one or two angles. Leaving poppers unshot, getting 4A hits on one paper and none on another.... In some cases, my "plan" confused targets and called for double engaging and failing to engage because moving past barriors and differing angles messes me up.

As a geezer myself, this is why I choose to shoot Single Stack Major. I don't have to count past 8 before a reload and most of the time it works out well.

Shoot these four targets first, move to there while reloading, shoot those four target... Lather, rinse and repeat.

If you are getting old and your memory is fading, maybe you're shooting the wrong division.

As a geezer myself, this is why I choose to shoot Single Stack Major. I don't have to count past 8 before a reload and most of the time it works out well.

Shoot these four targets first, move to there while reloading, shoot those four target... Lather, rinse and repeat.

If you are getting old and your memory is fading, maybe you're shooting the wrong division.

Is there a division for hobbling doddering geezers with delusions of adequacy? If so... I'm in !

Is there a division for hobbling doddering geezers with delusions of adequacy? If so... I'm in !

I shoot production.

Remember things in chunks. Use "tricks" to prompt your memory. Try simpler self talk, "shoot everything from here left to right" is a simple example. Prioritize the targets and positions that are "have to's", targets you have to shoot from that particular spot.

Visualize. Positive self talk. Focus on actions, not outcomes. Simplicity.

Remember things in chunks. Use "tricks" to prompt your memory. Try simpler self talk, "shoot everything from here left to right" is a simple example. Prioritize the targets and positions that are "have to's", targets you have to shoot from that particular spot.

This sounds like a direction I may find do-able. Just gonna need to hit more matches to get more memory challenges.

Also need to figure out how to break long stages into more bite sized so they don't cause mental choking.

Edited by johnbu

Great advice.

One thing I do on pistol stages is have the count (how many paper and how many steel) go downrange while everyone else is bogarting the start position and look back to the start from behind the targets. Do my count and make sure what I can see of the shooting area from the white side of the targets. Since steel has no danger of double engaging, other than deciding where to shoot it from, I then run through the stage looking at paper from the shooting area and counting paper targets while grouping them into chunks. Then plan reloads. After that, I try to get 2 or 3 clean movements through the course with no one in my way. I am trying to move through at the actual speed I would shoot.

Then it is get away and burn that walk in with visualization constantly until I shoot. On reset, I pick a group in the stage and try to be as repetitive as possible. When in the hole, detach and walk away, don't watch another shooter and go through the visualization another 6 to 8 times.

Edited by MarkCO

Try breaking the stage down to groups you will be shooting from locations. For example from the start position shoot 3 targets, move to second location and shoot 4 targets and final position shoot 3 targets. Then you just need to remember the counts as 3, 4 and 3. That will prevent not engaging targets and shooting some twice it will also help you plan your reloads.

Find the targets, make your plan, visualize visualize visualize. If you find your 5 minute walkthrough is not enough to get a plan, get to the match a hour earlier and walk the stages and/or find the best shooter around in your division and see how he breaks it down. When you think you have the stage deciphered, visualize the poo out of it. For a 12 round stage, I'll shoot it as vividly as possible in my head at least 20 times before I physically shoot it. For a complex stage, 40-50 runs in my head easy. If you can't execute the stage in your head without hesitation, you certainly won't be able to do it for real to the best of your abilities.

this ^^

if i can't visualize the sights on the targets in the right order in every shooting position, I haven't visualized it enough.

this ^^

if i can't visualize the sights on the targets in the right order in every shooting position, I haven't visualized it enough.

Guess I need to buff up the "mental side" of the game.

this ^^

Guess I need to buff up the "mental side" of the game.

the entire game is mental. (cue crappy van halen music, lol).

repeatedly going over the stage in your head embeds it in your subconscious, so you don't have to 'remember' it, you just have to look at your sights and your subconscious will take care of the rest. I visualize the stage while each shooter ahead of me is shooting. If there is anything I am not sure of (like which target in a group has a no-shoot or hardcover or is placed upside down), i double check that array on the way to or from resetting the stage, then I visualize it again.... and again.

I would also suggest incorporating reloads into your visualization, and also the shifting of weight to prepare to move (or to start moving) as you are shooting the last target in a group.

this stuff really works. I shoot SS (lots of reloads) and in a 400-ish round match over the weekend, i have no recollection of any reloading during the stages except the one where the empty magazine stuck and had to be pulled out. Every other reload was handled quickly and accurately without me having to think of it or even being consciously aware of it. It was just one more programmed task for the subconscious to take care of while my conscious mind waited for the gun to come back up so I would watch the sights coming into a position.

Edited by motosapiens