Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17L vs 34

Eric1231

What recoil weight spring are most people using with 9mm minor load in a glock 34 or 17L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running a 13lb ISMI flat along with a 5lb striker spring in a G17L.

Edited by LegionShooter

• 2 months later...

There would probably be a slight difference in felt recoil favoring the 17L. Its up to you, the 34 gives you the option to shoot Production in USPSA and SSP in IDPA I believe along with Limited. But you can't shoot anything but limited with the 17L. . . The 34 gives you options.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2016 at 6:18 PM, LegionShooter said:

I'm running a 13lb ISMI flat along with a 5lb striker spring in a G17L.

I agree.  I switched to a 11# recoil spring for a bit.  Found that when dirty the gun sometimes failed to go all the way back into battery.  I know I'm not going to be cleaning my guns after every use, so decided to switch back.  The difference in feel between the 13# and 11# is minimal, and with 13# along with my other mods I've achieved nearly 100% reliability, which is why I shoot Glocks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 10:26 AM, dogtired said:

Taylor Freelance just released their Speed Block which will make your G17 into a G17L with sight tracker.  I have the G22/24 and it works well.

I have to ask, do you prefer the regular 17l or the Taylor freelance speed block? I have a 34 currently, and I am looking for something different. The 34 is a great all around gun, but the local matches are shooting longer and longer steel and I think the extra sight radius could be beneficial. 

Thank you, I guess I look at other limited guns and a lot of people are doing a sight tracker type gun, weather it be a block on the end or a rib on the barrel. It looks like glock must have made another run of the 17l's because they have become much more available then they used to be. 

Yeah anyone looking for a 17L get one now while you can. Glock just did a run of them, I'm seeing them all over. Glock only makes them in limited runs about once every 2 years.

If you're going to shoot both 3 gun and USPSA Limited that's a good idea to get a 35 or 24 with a 9mm conversion barrel.

1 hour ago, Eric1231 said:

Where are you seeing the 17l's I am interested in getting one

http://www.impactguns.com/glock-17l-9mm-17rd-as-long-slide-6in-barrel-17-rd-764503301162.aspx
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/16590/Glock+17L+9MM+Adj+Sights+17rd

And I see a ton of them on gunbroker as well

For what it's worth I run a Glock 34 in Production and SSP and then run a 17L customized by Fire 4 Effect out of El Paso, Texas for 3 gun.  Between the two I prefer the 17L, the Long slide is definitely an advantage in sight radius and with the lite 9mm loads I run it seems to recoil less with the longer slide and stays on target much better for me.  I run a 13 pound ISMI spring in both.  If you have the extra money I would definitely pick up both.  The 17L or 24 is not IDPA legal, I have tried to shove mine in the IDPA box at home a hundred different ways and it will not work.  If you could only get one gun get the 34 and it's good for three sports, USPSA Production, IDPA SSP and 3 Gun.    Here is a thank you video I did for Fire 4 Effect the first time I shot the 17L at a match about a year ago after they customized it for me.  Excuse the misses I was trying to run it as hard as I could to make sure it was good to go.

IMG_1373.JPG

Two anywhere or one alpha, until the sight radius comes in handy to engage 50 to 75 yard pistol steel or small steel targets at 25 yards.  That's if you shoot outlaw 3 gun matches on natural terrain stages, if you're mainly shooting bay style matches I feel like a 17 is fast enough.  I dropped a Wilson Barrel in my 17 and it groups better than my 34 with a kkm and the kkm that I had in it before, found myself running that this year and it worked out great.  Not sure if that helps any lol. 

JG 

I guess what I was trying to say is shoot the one that you shoot most accurate.  Confirm on paper at distance i.e. 50 yards. 

Edited by Acespeedy

14 hours ago, Rob D said:

Get the longest sight radius you are allowed to have for the division you want to shoot.  17L>34>17>19>26

Interestingly I got the opposite advice for CO - several folks told me the slightly smaller G19 was easier/faster to move and the shorter length was effectively negated by the dot.

On 12/12/2016 at 8:10 AM, mreed911 said:

Interestingly I got the opposite advice for CO - several folks told me the slightly smaller G19 was easier/faster to move and the shorter length was effectively negated by the dot.

Not surprising.  Since you're not using the sights in CO, the sight radius isn't a factor.