Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17L vs 34

Eric1231

I am thinking about picking up a glock for 3 gun/ uspsa limited minor . I am currently using an xdm 5.25. I mainly to want to try something new and have a backup hand gun. Which one would you pick for this purpose? Is the length difference on the 17L even noticeable? If so what is noticeable about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't really matter for 3 Gun. Match wins are based on long range rifle and fast shotgun reloading. You can't win a 3 Gun based on pistol points, but you could loose it if you fall flat on your face. I shoot Open, based on my shotgun, but run an iron sighted G17.

If you know you'll never shoot Production I'd go with the 17L.

Is the length difference on the 17L even noticeable? If so what is noticeable about it?

Yes, I think the increased sight radius is noticeable.

I couldn't get used to the draw. I started with a 17 and moved to a 34. The only thing noticeable was the increases sight radius. I tried to move to a 17L but the only thing I noticed was how much further I had to lift the gun to clear the holster. If I were using a pure race holster the 17L might be worth it but out of a retention holster, the 34 is a better choice for me.

I couldn't get used to the draw. I started with a 17 and moved to a 34. The only thing noticeable was the increases sight radius. I tried to move to a 17L but the only thing I noticed was how much further I had to lift the gun to clear the holster. If I were using a pure race holster the 17L might be worth it but out of a retention holster, the 34 is a better choice for me.

I have a custom drop leg holster for my 17L. It's a few inches lower on my belt. Helps a lot.

17L is a gen 3 only and everything is the same as gen 3 17 except barrel and slide. Slide is supposed to be the same weight/close to same weight as a 17. Internally it is killed some and the opening in the top of the slide is big.

The 1st G17L was a Gen 1, built in 1988. I know because I got one as product from a GSSF match in late 1992. All full size small frames are interchangeable with the exception of the ejector/extractor and magazines between the 9mm, .357SIG/40S&W. The G17/G34/G17L/G22/G35/G24 and G31 can swap uppers and lowers. Recoil spring assemblies are common to all the same guns. Or you can run 9mm conversion barrels in the 40S&W and .357SIG guns. I've been thru 3 G17Ls and 3 G34's over the last 24 years in competition and carry, and a bunch of other Glocks also, but for the last 10 years have only shot G17s for competition and use G31s for carry. For USPSA, most shots are 2-15 yards, with most steel arrays at 10-12 yards, so sight radius is no big deal. Occasionally there are targets further out, but 95% of the points are relatively close targets nicely bunched in neat little arrays. Shooting Limited Minor is going to hurt you more on points than the difference between the G17/G34 or G17L (not in Production Division). Your'e going to be better off running Production division with a G17/G34. And again for 3 gun, 2 holes anywhere or one Alpha, doesn't matter.

Edited by 9x45

A drop leg is not a legal holster, see D(X) 10 and E2, all Divisions, Maximum distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders from inner side of belt is 2" (as measured from the top of the belt)

image37407.jpg

I own both and have competed with both, and the 17L would be my pick. Especially for 3 gun, where a lot of the bigger matches I've shot have had a good bit of small/longish range pistol steel. I shoot a 2011 now, but I liked the 17L so well that I got a 6 inch 2011 when I switched platforms. The extra sight radius over a shorter gun is nice, and very noticable for me.