Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal NT Brass

.40AET

I have been reloading piles of Federal brass with no problems. Last night I started having problems seating the primers. I squished a coulple before I examined the cases. All of the problem cases had NT on the headstamp. The primer pockets are .004" smaller than a regular Federal case. Does anyone know anything about these cases? If the primers are removed and the pocket reamed out, then the primers will seat normally. Should I chuck 'em in the trash????

Thanks,

Kirk

Thanks for the info. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of .40 from my local range and my guess is that someone brought the NT in from somewhere esle. The cases are only showing up 1 or 2 out of a 100 loaded. Now that I know what is goin on, they are easy to spot before enering the press.

Thanks,

Kirk

The 45acp Fed NT has REALLY tight primer pockets, small pistol size, instead of large. Between these NT's, Amerc, and 45 Glock ( luckily not seen one yet ), my case sorting has gotten less fun in 45.

Travis F.

TBF.... at least the Glock stuff can be spotted as it comes from the case feeder... ran into the first Win NT .45 Auto today.....when I break the first shell plate trying to swage a large primer pocket in one I will probably demand the name of the individual responsible so he/she can be flogged... regards

BerKim- Yes, sorry, I tend to overlook the critical details. The cases had the primers crimped, once you get used to the feel, you can pick them out of the press before the primer is smashed into the case. I have a case deburrer that works well to ream the primer pocket. Howerver, I have since decided to throw all of the NT cases away. Reloading is enough work without having to look for this stuff. :angry:

• 2 months later...

Just found this post after doing a search in referance to this P.O.S. non toxic federal NT 40S&W brass.

I just had a primer go off when seating into a Federal NT case, looks like it had a crimp, not to mention the flash hole is about twice the size of normal.

Besides scaring the the holy bejeses out of me it added a whole new dimension and problem to sorting brass.

As to Caspian28r you can have any of the thin, crack prone, nickel plated brass I throw away.

Yeah, the stuff sucks. I can usually feel the tighter primer pocket. Sometimes I chuck it, and other times I ream the pocket and keep going. I havn't put a round of NT through the chrono to see how the larger pocket effects the load. Ditto on the nickel brass. It sure looks pretty, but splits quick.

I have run into a few federal 40 NT's lately. I know them by feel now. I just take it out and ream the crimp with a case neck deburring tool and stick it back in and load away. If I start running into several I will file 13 them. One or two out of 100 isn't bad. TXAG

how the larger pocket effects the load

I did an experiment with several headstamps of brass, and I separated Winchester large-hole into its own bin. I only tried .45 brass, but the larger flash hole had no impact on velocity, when compared to other types of Winchester. Going to different brands (R-P, PMC) made a bigger difference.

Lee

• 1 year later...

Hey have any or you run into this? I was loading some brass picked up at a match and found 3 or 4 that would not take a primer. After close inspection it looks as though the primer tops were pushed out with decapper pin, but the body stayed in the brass. Of about 50 pieces of brass only 2 or 3 weren't the Federal NT headstamp. Any solutions? Thanks Mac

Moderator Edit: This topic was merged with an existing topic of the same name, which was found by searching on "NT brass".

Edited by Erik Warren

Vince is right.

The problem is that the NT brass has the primers swaged in. Tough to get them out, tough to get new ones in.

Toss 'em in the recycling bin, unless you have a manual or press mounted swager to remove the crimp.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forums.

Kevin C.

If I'm not mistaken (which I am with increasing frequency these days!) the primer in the .45 NT rounds are small pistol primers instead of large. Unless you have a bunch of them and want to always fight with them, throw them in the scrap bucket and when you get 100# or so take it to the scrap yard. :D

dj

If I find them before they get a primer I toss them, if they take a primer I finish loading them and then toss them (there not worth the trouble especially in 40 S&W). Still better then small primer 45ACPs though!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The 45 acp federal NTs definitely use small primers. I was about to smash my reloader when I dicovered this because I thought IT was the problem. My Lee Pro 1000 laods the .40 Federal NTs with no problem.