Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chevy durtymax diesel injectors

johnbu

Drove to (oh, the irony) the auto parts store to get a master cylinder. Got in to leave....cranking cranking cranking. No starting.

Turns out the injectors, buried under everything except the trailer hitch leak when worn. They leak faster when hot. Then the engine can't build pressure and won't start. Replacement is $325 per each!!!! Labor 8-10 hours depending on rust issues. Truck is....maybe worth 7-8000 due to rust. Repair cost $3500...

Uggg. Worth zero not running.

duramax injectors?

... I assume the usual ways to avoid failures won't help.

how many injectors?

maybe you can create a sculpture from the old ones?

that way you can take out your anger on them AND recover some of the costs.

miranda

I've seen Duramax injectors replaced, 8-10 hours could be optimistic. Another company makes a really low tech diesel with six cylinders all in a row, somehow it only takes an hour to do injectors in mine and they're almost free compared to yours.

Cummins ??

Yes sir, million mile motors, dropped into 100k mile trucks!

Yep. Motor is great. Wrapper sucks. 100k is quite optimistic in my experience.

Truth. My wrapper is pushing 300k, the love in my love/hate relationship is too strong for me to put it out to pasture though. 20150815_102028.jpg

duramax injectors?

... I assume the usual ways to avoid failures won't help.

how many injectors?

maybe you can create a sculpture from the old ones?

that way you can take out your anger on them AND recover some of the costs.

miranda

History showed bosch screwed the pooch with the design. After only 7 years, they redesigned and put hard chrome ball and seat. Cough cough, yeah.... my dog could drink ink and piss a better design.

Chebby also eventually moved the injectors out from under the rocker arm coves and cleared the covering crap. But.... mine sux.

So a sculpture is off the table?

save up for the next truck?... ah don't that suck...

I know one thing I might consider is finding an engine with a better reputation to swap in.

:-D it was easy to upgrade the old vw beetles.

trucks and tractors now-a-days... not as easy.

miranda

Cummins ??

So, so true. I have the opposite problem: a 2i006 Ford 6.0 diesel. Wrapper is perfect. Engine would be good only as ballast in a garbage barge.

Cummins ??

So, so true. I have the opposite problem: a 2i006 Ford 6.0 diesel. Wrapper is perfect. Engine would be good only as ballast in a garbage barge.

Ah....You got the Power Choke version...

Cummins ??

Yep. I keep asking if it's possible to eventually swap a 7.4L in its place, and the mechanics keep saying no. If I ask enough of them, somebody will say what I want to hear... right?

Cummins ??

Yep. I keep asking if it's possible to eventually swap a 7.4L in its place, and the mechanics keep saying no. If I ask enough of them, somebody will say what I want to hear... right?

You sure can put a Cummins in there.

Cummins ??

You sure can put a Cummins in there.

Seriously??? Will the bolt holes filt?

No but there's plenty of shops that specialize in the swap, plus you can get kits to DIY, but it's not for the faint of heart if you want all the electronics and gauges to work. Around my area there's almost as many Fords and Chevys with a Cummins as there are Dodges.

No but there's plenty of shops that specialize in the swap, plus you can get kits to DIY, but it's not for the faint of heart if you want all the electronics and gauges to work. Around my area there's almost as many Fords and Chevys with a Cummins as there are Dodges.

Wow. That's definitely something I'm going to keep in mind. My engine has the same problem as the OP with injectors going out and costing a small forture to replace. I've already got one that's touchy. When I get to the point of having to replace injectors, I'm definitely going to consider swapping for a Cummins rather than polishing the turd I already own!!!!!!

My buddy has a 2008 duramax with 450,000 on it. He had the injectors checked last year just because he figured it was probably about time, and the mechanic said they were fine

Was it the 6.0 that had the head bolt problem?

A friend told me a story about having one fixed and the dealer said for an extra charge they'd put the "good head bolts" in it. Lol!

Was it the 6.0 that had the head bolt problem?

A friend told me a story about having one fixed and the dealer said for an extra charge they'd put the "good head bolts" in it. Lol!

You name it, the 6.0 has a problem with it. There's an aftermarket company that solves most of the problems called "Bullet Proof". It's only a few thousand extra dollars...

There isn't a 7.4 in the Ford. the progression was 6.9-7.3-6.0 (International motors) to the 6.4 and current 6.7 Ford motors. I'm thinking it would be easier to put a 7.3 motor in an '04-'07 truck than a Cummins. The trucks were the same.

OP, does that $325 include the core charge you get back?