Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P.C.C. harder than it looks?

blaster113

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to grip the long magazine near the top end for more accurate insertion?

Yes, practiced a little after the match. Being used to reloading short pistol mags it was wrong grabbing that long magazine at the bottom end and it has be in the pouch like a 223 mag, ammo facing backwards. Need to practice more. Thank you!

I think you need to grip the long magazine near the top end for more accurate insertion?

Yes, practiced a little after the match. Being used to reloading short pistol mags it was wrong grabbing that long magazine at the bottom end and it has be in the pouch like a 223 mag, ammo facing backwards. Need to practice more. Thank you!
I think you both are on point. You can't load the like pistol. For a lack of words to describe it, you want to beer can the mag, I think that is what Norb is eluding to. You insert the mag in the magwell firmly and give a quick tug ensuring a lock, rather then the slap on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally shot my first PCC classifier tonight. It is harder than it looks. Shot 03-07, Riverdale Standards, which includes freestyle, strong hand and weak hand strings as well as mandatory reloads.

3.455 HF for 37.97%. 86 of 100 points in 24.89 seconds, minor scoring, a slow reload on the first string. With the same points and without the reload problem I'd probably have been at 4.324 HF (19.89 seconds) for 50.02%.

Not the Classifier I'd have chosen for my first run in terms of my ego, but great in terms of all the different skills required.

For reference: I'm classified C in Single Stack and almost initially classified (likely low C) in Production. I've been shooting USPSA less than a year. I used a Beretta CX4 in 9mm, 124gr 9mm rounds (future runs will be with 115gr, but I didn't bring them tonight). I shot the PCC as a second gun on the Classifier only after the match, so no match score or other stages to compare it with.

I probably won't forsake Production or Single Stack in terms of the time I have at matches but if the opportunity presents itself to run PCC as a second gun as a Classifier-only shoot, I'd bring it with me just for that. It's definitely not easy just because it's a carbine.

Edited by mreed911

Took my new CZ Scorpion Carbine out to the local USPSA match. Asked if they were allowing PCC, which they did. Not a single person was against it.

Our stages didn't have tight quarters, they were all relatively open. There was only one stage where we had to shoot around a barricade, which also had a polish plate rack where only half was visible.

The carbine made quick work of everything with outstanding accuracy. Keep in mind that my Scorpion hasn't even been zeroed. I just adjusted the red dot so it's "close enough" and I was just reloading from my back pocket.

This is the result, easily beat a "M" Open shooter who is 4.80% away from making GM, maybe not his best day but still handily smoked the rest of the shooters using pistols today. My initial classification is "B" for both Limited and Production and I only started USPSA in January. I also don't shoot any 3-gun or rifle matches.

xljRwVLl.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update if anyone gives a sh*t; got the bugs worked out of my PCC and ran the gun a few times in local matches.  Stage times improved noticebly over runs with my STI ltd. gun.  A bit of a learning curve in gun handling, such as weak shoulder transitions.  PCC is an absolute blast.  I'm glad they implemented it cause when you suffer that inevitable burnout shooting one division for a while, PCC is a nice refresher.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:04 PM, mreed911 said:

Finally shot my first PCC classifier tonight. It is harder than it looks. Shot 03-07, Riverdale Standards, which includes freestyle, strong hand and weak hand strings as well as mandatory reloads.

3.455 HF for 37.97%. 86 of 100 points in 24.89 seconds, minor scoring, a slow reload on the first string. With the same points and without the reload problem I'd probably have been at 4.324 HF (19.89 seconds) for 50.02%.

Not the Classifier I'd have chosen for my first run in terms of my ego, but great in terms of all the different skills required.

For reference: I'm classified C in Single Stack and almost initially classified (likely low C) in Production. I've been shooting USPSA less than a year. I used a Beretta CX4 in 9mm, 124gr 9mm rounds (future runs will be with 115gr, but I didn't bring them tonight). I shot the PCC as a second gun on the Classifier only after the match, so no match score or other stages to compare it with.

I probably won't forsake Production or Single Stack in terms of the time I have at matches but if the opportunity presents itself to run PCC as a second gun as a Classifier-only shoot, I'd bring it with me just for that. It's definitely not easy just because it's a carbine.

We just ran this classifier on Sunday and shot it with my PCC.  I shot all A's but the reloads cost me too much time.  17.xx seconds total.  Thought I had a stellar M level run which turned out to be a nice fat 63%.  Have Limited/L10 A cards for reference.... oh well got to keep on practicing haha 

I haven't run my PCC setup yet.  Just have to get the engraving done, finally.  One thing I'm worried about is the casing/uncasing of the gun.  Has anybody seen this as an issue in a practical sense?  Or am I worrying over nothing?  Specifically I'm concerned about going from the uncasing area to the start box without getting DQ'd.

I havent' seen going from the uncasing area to the start box as a problem with rifles.

You uncase where you are told to, and point it where you are told to (berm, up, down).

Keep it "reasonably vertical" going to and from the COF. Carrying it with a sling might let your control slip. With rifle size barrels most, here, seem to carry the gun on their arm: hold the pistol grip with your strong hand, grip pointing forward, and let the gun's forearm or barrel rest on your upper arm.

On 6/20/2016 at 7:15 PM, blaster113 said:

Anyone else try P.C.C. and realize its a bit harder than it looks?

We just ran our first local match with pistol caliber carbines in the mix. My stage times were better with my Limited STI shooting L10 vs. my Aimpoint equipped 9mm AR. Movement and target acquisition was a little trickier with the carbine vs. handgun.

Maybe P.C.C. will be more fun if Hawaii allowed SBR's...

No actually the opposite. Generally PCC's are easier to shoot. 

Pat

On 8/29/2016 at 1:09 PM, Alaskapopo said:

No actually the opposite. Generally PCC's are easier to shoot. 

Pat

Easier to shoot? Sure.

Easier to load, reload, clear malfunctions, run with, shoot weak hand, work around ports, barricades, and other practical shooting challenges? Depends on the stage.

8 hours ago, MikeRush said:

Easier to shoot? Sure.

Easier to load, reload, clear malfunctions, run with, shoot weak hand, work around ports, barricades, and other practical shooting challenges? Depends on the stage.

Been shooting three gun for a while so I say the same not really. Most places its easier and hence why in real life why I tell my guys if they get a gun call they better show up with their rifle and not their pistol in hand. There are some stages or situations where handguns are easier but overall at least with what we are shooting the carbine is easier. Reloading is slower but other than mandatory reload stages it never seems to come up. I have 37 rounds to work with and a long USPSA course is like 32 rounds.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo