Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran Tactical Base Pad Pin?

I have a Taran Tactical base pad on one of my STI 170 magazine, but..... the damn little pin that holds the basepad against the magazine body fell out. I have no idea where I lost it.

Are there replacement pins sold for these magazines? If so....WHERE can I find them??

I have a Taran Tactical base pad on one of my STI 170 magazine, but..... the damn little pin that holds the basepad against the magazine body fell out. I have no idea where I lost it.

Are there replacement pins sold for these magazines? If so....WHERE can I find them??

Yep, I had the same thing happen to me. Just call them, tell them what base pad you have and they will send you a bag of new pins and set screws.

When I first started using TT basepads, I noticed the pins "walking" a bit. I just tightened the setscrew a bit. They're so tight that I need a tool to push them (or the edge of a table), but I can deal with that. Rather have that than a missing pin and the base coming off.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't some shops would sell it by itself. You are better of calling TTI and his staffs will send you replacement pins. They have a very good customer's service at TTI.

Edited by 1911A12011

• 1 month later...

Just a regular hex wrench, it's very small so a cheap one will probably strip out. I loosened it first and then tightened. I was planning to use locktite if it came loose, but it hasn't in a years worth of shooting.

• 3 years later...

Hate to bring up an old thread, but maybe there has been a change to their warranty, because they state that if you mess up the set screw, you may void the warranty. From the Taran Tactical Innovations website:

"The pin set screws are set with Loctite® at the specific tension we recommend, and will generally never need an adjustment. Tightening the base pad screw is not recommended and may be difficult because the screw is set with Loctite®; trying to force the set screw to turn could result in stripping the screw. We do not warranty base pads for stripped heads on set screws or filed retaining pins."

I just sent them an email for a missing base pin that fell out yesterday. I hope I get a reply soon. I might call in a couple of days, but in reading this thread, seems like that they are cool to deal with. 

18 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Hate to bring up an old thread, but maybe there has been a change to their warranty, because they state that if you mess up the set screw, you may void the warranty. From the Taran Tactical Innovations website:

"The pin set screws are set with Loctite® at the specific tension we recommend, and will generally never need an adjustment. Tightening the base pad screw is not recommended and may be difficult because the screw is set with Loctite®; trying to force the set screw to turn could result in stripping the screw. We do not warranty base pads for stripped heads on set screws or filed retaining pins."

I just sent them an email for a missing base pin that fell out yesterday. I hope I get a reply soon. I might call in a couple of days, but in reading this thread, seems like that they are cool to deal with. 

That’s funny tti doesn’t trust mere mortals to touch their precious pins. I can measure one give you the size. If you can get it from a hardware store?

Just now, Bwillis said:

That’s funny tti doesn’t trust mere mortals to touch their precious pins. I can measure one give you the size. If you can get it from a hardware store?

We'll see. I got an automated email reply in which they said they are behind and I may get a response in 3-15 days. So we will see. I have back ups, so it is not huge, just concerning. 

Thank you for the offer, but I can measure some others if need be. 

Your not going to strip the threads on the screw. They are too hard, however you will strip the threads on the basepad itself, it’s aluminum. That’s why you void the warranty on the pad if you screw it up. Also there is a little piece of rubber ahead of the set screw which doesn’t mar the pin. If you can mike the pin from another pad I think a piece of Stainless steel tig rod might work. You can get one from a local welding shop. I miked one of mine and it was .125 which is a 1/8 rod which is common.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So no word from Taran Tactical despite email and voicemail. So just not sure about buying more of their products. Granted, this is not a big price item, but in my mind, it is the customer service on the small items that lead to confidence in buying their big items. Maybe that is just me.