Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Heart Surgery

BobT

60 years old, just started my second year of competition shooting, having a ball, learning stuff....

Next thing you know, I've got a bad aortic valve....12 days in the hospital, new valve, all fixed.

Can't drive for a few weeks, can't work for a month or more....

And probably won't be able to compete until late July or August....If I am lucky....

Bah..... :angry2:

You are already lucky bob as you still will get to shoot down the road. I don't know if your recovery will be like my dad's (quad or quint bypass I can't recall) but hug your pillow, do what the therapists tell you and you will be like new in no time. Speedy recovery and you can sit around dry firing in the meantime.

Yea sounds like Luck was on your side,wishing for speedy recovery..

Take it easy do what the doctor says you'll be good in no time..

Want to know how I know ?

Got my mechanical aortic valve right at 4 years ago. (Age 60 at the time.) Spent most of the summer in rehab and got to the point I enjoyed it.

The main thing that got me through it with flying colors is a good attitude. And my attitude was came from I wanted to return to shooting.

Set a goal and work towards it. It makes the time pass a little faster. (And setting up an airsoft range in the garage is a good way to feed that "I gotta shoot something" craving.

Good luck.

I'll second the "make a goal" recommendation. January 2015 I had to have a hip replacement revision done. I registered for the Area 1 match which took place in June so I had something to work toward. I made it (not a stellar performance, but I got through all the stages). Fast forward to this year, January 2016 I was diagnosed with colon cancer (maybe I should sleep through January next year :ph34r: ) I went through radiation and chemo, finished that April 1st. Shot Area 1 in May, now I have surgery scheduled for the 20th of June. I registered for the WA State USPSA match in September. It helps to have a goal (doesn't have to be shooting, but it works for me). Now I'd like to get through a shooting season without having to go "under the knife" at some point during the season. It would be nice just to think about shooting. :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me feel like a wuss for having lower back surgery and not being able to shoot most of the season probably.

Good luck and best wishes on your speedy return to shooting

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and helpful advice! I still hate open heart surgery, though.... :roflol:

Makes me feel like a wuss for having lower back surgery and not being able to shoot most of the season probably.
Good luck and best wishes on your speedy return to shooting

Right now, based on how I am doing, and my doctor imposed limitations, I think I will be shooting next Sunday the 26th at a small local match. Just under 4 weeks after surgery....

Modern medicine... :cheers:

Like you, woke up on the green side of the grass this morning. Had my 4 way bypass 12 years ago. Planning on 150-200 round practice out back in a day or two, Dry fire at least twice a week. I'm only 69, now some day you will be too,,,,,now.