Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Selling guns through forums

Just curious, how do you fellas usually sale through the forums? What do you do in terms to CYA? How do you take payment? I hate to be paranoid but, there is so many dishonest people in this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Enos? I will just take a check for payment and usually ship before I receive payment. Never been burned here. I don't sell or buy on other forums.

ETA: I will admit that I may look at some of the posts that someone has made if I am not familiar with who they are or if they have a very low post count.

Edited by ChuckS

Selling is easy: you receive payment, you ship the item. Buying requires a little more trust although I've never been burned on Enos, only Armslist, when I thought I was safe using a Postal Money Order, but the guy cashed it, never sent the gun, finally admitted he didn't even have the gun. I sent a copy if his ID/all his info to the Postal Investigation Unit, and they didn't do a damn thing.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I agree, there is inherently a certain amount of trust during a gun sale from an online site. But I feel like Enos site is among the most credible!

I have only sold one gun on the site, but was very diligent to establish a PM conversation with the buyer where we communicated several times and were both very comfortable with the sale and were confident that the other person would follow through. I think that's the best you can hope for.

Requesting additional pictures of the gun from various angles also will help ensure the seller's legit.

FTF

The Best Way is FTF, BUT, still has some potential danger ...

Last time I sold a gun FTF, the buyer pulled out a loaded .45 from his waistband ....

to SHOW me his prize .45.

I wasn't sure for a second there where that was all going ....

FTF

The Best Way is FTF, BUT, still has some potential danger ...

Last time I sold a gun FTF, the buyer pulled out a loaded .45 from his waistband ....

to SHOW me his prize .45.

I wasn't sure for a second there where that was all going ....

I think he should he told you before hand...I would have wondered what kind of response he would have gotten doing that in a gun store.

I have only sold a gun on here , never bought. So of course that deal went well. I felt I knew him since we had talked many times on here.

The only time I ever got burned here was selling five dollar widgets and a newbie with 20 posts said he didn't get his. I sent him another and he said he only got a damaged empty envelope. I asked for a picture of the envelope and he didn't reply. I did NOT send him another one.

So for me, it's all about post count and personal interaction. I have had a lot of discussions with guys on here that I would mail an open gun to them as a loaner if they needed it. Others, maybe not.

But in general, it's pretty safe here. You can always PM somebody and ask their thoughts on a member and a deal. Very helpful bunch of HONEST people hang out here in my opinion

I haven't sold any guns, but have purchased 3 from 3 different members. I admit I was a little concerned on the first transaction, but it, and the others all went smooth. I had several PM's with each seller, and that, along with post count and substance, instilled confidence. I don't belong to any other forum. I've purchased several other non-firearm accessories/equipment on this forum too and have yet to have a negative experience. :cheers:

Edited by armydad

I have also had good experience with Enos. I have purchased a gun and it went as smooth as I could hope. I still used the whole trust but verify rule though. If they want my money then they name and a phone number is the least that they can do. With that call them on the phone and talk to them. I find an actual conversation to be a very good way to get a feel for someone.

I've bought and sold a handful of guns on here, no problem. I get paranoid when their post count is low or if they bumped it up posting underwater basket weaving garbage. A lot of honest and earnest people on here with a ton of knowledge and if i have a question on someone, I can usually find someone on here that knows them. One time I couldn't find an acquaintance to verify on a low round counter, so I questioned him out of the sell. BEnosvere is the place to be for all things gun.

I've only bought off the forum. So I'm the one taking the risk. So I try to search the seller through their postings. But I've never had a problem, Brian runs a good forum here. I feel that most people here are honest.

I have bought and sold several guns and other things on this and other forums. If buying, I check post count etc., also I like to talk to them on the phone. I pay however they want, if I feel comfortable with it, POMO, paypal etc. If I send a MO, I generally send it where they have to sign, but that is because I don't trust the post office, if I am not fairly sure about the person(can never be certain about the person) I will look somewhere else. Also I request a tracking number.

If selling I do all these things in reverse, so that the buyer can be as comfortable as possible, because I have been on that end, too.

Luckily by doing this I have never had any real issues buying and selling over the internet, and I hope it stays that way.

I wouldn't trust the post office full heartedly a family member of mine works at the post office and has seen other employees not checking IDs when people come to cash money orders.

Been fortunate selling here and on local forums. Most good folks will check on you as much as you them so most times you get a "feeling" about a possible transaction. Requiring payment by postal m.o. is a good start as the buyer has to be willing to go and deal with the post office to get the funds. Get as much info as you can but since there is a ffl dealer involved (check them too!) you can feel relatively comfortable that it is on the up and up. And make sure what you send is legal in the buyer's state. Good luck!

Here is another question, how do y'all do trades or trade plus some cash? Do y'all both send the gun at the same time or one wait for the other one to come in?

I've bought a few guns on here and through the USPSA classifieds. Ask for pictures of different angles is a good way on making sure they physically have the gun. But there is a lot of trust that goes with the territory. Post count, history, just stalk their profile for a few minutes and you should be able to get a handle on the kind of person you are dealing with.

Is there a "reputation" system on here for tracking successful buys/sells? Another board I'm on uses something like that (ratings) and it's another good data point to look at when evaluating folks (but it's mostly local, so FTF is more common).

Is there a "reputation" system on here for tracking successful buys/sells? Another board I'm on uses something like that (ratings) and it's another good data point to look at when evaluating folks (but it's mostly local, so FTF is more common).

There is a list of shame. People who have screwed somebody over. If you search you will find it but it's only a small handful of folks

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71886&view=getnewpost

Edited by Sarge

I have bought at sold here with no issues. I have also used GunBroker for both. My local FFL will not accept any firearms from an individual so I pay a little extra to have a purchase sent from a FFL. i have no problems with this since my local guy transfers to me at no charge,

Payment here depends on who I am selling to. If you are a long time member, I will usually take your personal check. If you have less time, I will ask for Certified funds. If you are a one post wonder I will ask for certified funds and wait until they clear.

I ship US Postal priority from my FFL to the buyer which is the cheapest and fastest way for me. I always offer a three day inspection with return on the buyer's dime as long as the gun is unfired and not transferred. That means you inspect it at the dealer and make sure you want it before you transfer or fire, If you don't want it, you pay to have the gun returned.

Only one gun has ever been returned to me and that was because the buyer's FFL was a dick. They buyer seemed like a great guy but the FFL started bad mouthing the deal and insisted on selling what he had in stock. No problem for me.

If you buy or sell on line, communication is the most important part of the deal. Tell people what you have and ask about what you are buying. Remember, you are buying a used item and sometimes what worked perfectly for you may not work perfectly for your buyer. Be polite and understand both sides and you will be fine usually.

EDIT TO ADD: after discussion with a couple potential buyers and sellers I have backed out of deals. If I get that "Feeling" about the deal I will not complete it on either side. Some people's questions and some answers make you say WTF in your head.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter