Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ck vs sti

Bullets

I have an STI Edge that I bought from Dawson and have put about 3000 rounds through it. So far its run perfect and I love it. That being said I know plenty of guys with STI's mostly the DVC line that have had a lot of issues. Extraction, barrel throat, slides cracking etc. I have yet to see any issues with CK guns. The STi's are much more prevalent at my range and I have an STI I would still trust a CK out of the box more.

STI is a proven product but somewhat more of a mass produced type product (for a competition gun). They also use some cheaper manufacturing/materials on some parts.

The ck product has higher attention to detail. More hand fitting. Better quality in the small parts. And some small design improvements.

Plenty of people shoot and win with STI so there's no doubt it's a good product but you are getting a higher level pistol from ck. will it shoot any better? Maybe. But it will likely give more pride of ownership.

I have an sti frame and ck slide I put together (1911). I think the above sums it up, one is a larger company and will have more difficulties with quality control. From my limited experience both are great, at least I think my 1911 is great.

I have an STI Edge that I bought from Dawson and have put about 3000 rounds through it. So far its run perfect and I love it. That being said I know plenty of guys with STI's mostly the DVC line that have had a lot of issues. Extraction, barrel throat, slides cracking etc. I have yet to see any issues with CK guns. The STi's are much more prevalent at my range and I have an STI I would still trust a CK out of the box more.

Odd that you say about the barrel throat. I've had a few instances when unloading to show clear at the end of a stage; is was a little more difficult than I thought it should be to rack the slide back while a round was still in the chamber (with a DVC).

CK's being hand fit and having better parts (Aftec extractor, EGW fire control parts, tapped mag release, Wilson safety, zig racker, and the list goes on) makes it a better overall value. The STI's are just more mass produced and don't have the consistent fit, finish, and function. Sometimes they run great and sometimes you'll need those little parts that already come in a CK. The best bet with STI, imo, is to gamble on the cheapest trubor and if it runs out of the box you do come out ahead in terms of money spent. Not the best value, but the cheapest.

I think CK wil be better , not because of the parts used but simply because it is a more handfitted gun by someone who knows what he

is doing .

Not saying STI is a bad gun but it is mass production , i have a full custom made by one of the best gunsmiths here in holland .

And i can realy feel the difference with a standard Trubore mutch tighter fit .

My gun does have a STI frame and barrel .

Edited by Tino2212

• 2 weeks later...

Odd that you say about the barrel throat. I've had a few instances when unloading to show clear at the end of a stage; is was a little more difficult than I thought it should be to rack the slide back while a round was still in the chamber (with a DVC).

Check your OAL make sure your round isn't causing it by the bullet being wedged into the lands of the bbl

Op ? Frame & slide same. Small parts ck is probably better

I have two STI TruBor's (the cheapest OPEN guns available from STI).

Both were worked over by Brazos and another gunsmith - both have

been Very Reliable for me.

I've been told I cannot get a trigger pull lighter than 3 lbs without changing

the trigger mechanism, but 3 lbs is as light as I want to go.