Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which hammer spring with ext firing pin and Winchester primers?

chp5

I just picked up a used SP-01 with all the CGW internal goodies, including the extended firing pin. It came with the CGW black hammer 11.5# spring installed and a spare blue 13# spring. The double and single action pulls are light and smooth. The previous owner said had never had misfires and shot ATL Arms reloads.

Will the 11.5# + the extended fire pin reliably ignite Winchester primers? I'm taking it to the range this weekend and honestly don't want to change the hammer spring at the range.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My SP-01 runs 100% on WSP primers as well as any factory ammo I've tried using the 11.5# spring. Only note on that is I have extensively polished everything. Just dropping parts in vs parts AND polishing makes a big difference.

for me the 8.5 was definitely federal only. i load on a 1050 and set primers deep! the 11.5 was 95% on winchester, the other primer i use extensively. for me, 100% every where, every thing is the 13# czc coupled with all the polishing and internal work you like.

As long as the slot cut into the extended firing pin has enough room in it to let the firing pin protrude into the bolt face correctly and is not restricted by the roll pin a 11.5# spring is 100% on every kind of primer I have tried. CCI, S&B or Winchester have been no problem at all as long as there is no restriction on the FP movement and the primers are seated hard enough for maximum sensitivity they all go bang. I always take a little extra metal out of the slot just to make sure and so far I have not had any problems lighting off any primer I have tried.

As long as the slot cut into the extended firing pin has enough room in it to let the firing pin protrude into the bolt face correctly and is not restricted by the roll pin a 11.5# spring is 100% on every kind of primer I have tried. CCI, S&B or Winchester have been no problem at all as long as there is no restriction on the FP movement and the primers are seated hard enough for maximum sensitivity they all go bang. I always take a little extra metal out of the slot just to make sure and so far I have not had any problems lighting off any primer I have tried.

Interesting, have you seen any sings of primers getting hit too hard or the FP dragging on the primer as a case is ejected? I have seen a few odd shaped FP marks on a few primers from one of my CZs with the extended FP. I can think of a few possibilities but I have not gotten to the bottem of exactly why yet.

I shot 250+ of my reloads today with WSP and had 100% ignition. This is my first DA/SA pistol and all steel gun ever. I always shot Glocks in Limited and Prod. The SP-01's DA pull is slick and the reset is plenty short (no short stroking). I was fortunate to find a CGW'ize SP-01 that was well done. It will take some more time for me to get used to the DA/SA, but it wasn't as big of a change as I had imagined. I'm not driving the heavy CZ the way I'm use to with the light Glock, but that will come.

I have some more CZ newbie questions:

Recoil Spring: Even though the pistol has all the CGW internals, it had the stock recoil spring and is WAY over-sprung (nose diving). What weight spring do you guys use for Minor loads?

Thin Safety: Is it Prod legal to install the thin safeties from CGW https://cajungunworks.com/product/11224-shadow-thin-safety-set/

Thanks again.

I shot 250+ of my reloads today with WSP and had 100% ignition. This is my first DA/SA pistol and all steel gun ever. I always shot Glocks in Limited and Prod. The SP-01's DA pull is slick and the reset is plenty short (no short stroking). I was fortunate to find a CGW'ize SP-01 that was well done. It will take some more time for me to get used to the DA/SA, but it wasn't as big of a change as I had imagined. I'm not driving the heavy CZ the way I'm use to with the light Glock, but that will come.

I have some more CZ newbie questions:

Recoil Spring: Even though the pistol has all the CGW internals, it had the stock recoil spring and is WAY over-sprung (nose diving). What weight spring do you guys use for Minor loads?

Thin Safety: Is it Prod legal to install the thin safeties from CGW https://cajungunworks.com/product/11224-shadow-thin-safety-set/

Thanks again.

11# seems most common. I use a CGW 10#.

My Shadow sets off everything with a 8.5# mainspring. I've never tried Tula or Wolf but it is gtg on CCI & Win primers including factory. I got a bulk purchase deal through work on Speer Lawman 147gr factory ammo and I've blown through nearly 3k rds without failure. It's a little hotter than I'd load but it was cheaper than what I'd pay for components so I've got more time to shoot not sitting at my bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk