Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 Flat Point or Round Nose

okorpheus

I've never found any difference in performance in the gun when using truncated cone bullets in either .45 ACP or 9mm (as compared to RN). There is a difference on target though. The flat point punches a nice hole and the holes from them are clearly different. In local matches I inadvertently shot an unpasted target and since my holes were clearly seen the target was scored w/o reshooting.

Can I ask a newb question. I've never thought about it but can you use the same seating die setting for both RN and FP? You shouldn't have to adjust the die for OAL when switching between the two, correct?

Edited by B_RAD

The point makes a bit of difference in the bearing length, but not much. I don't think you'll find much difference in how the two perform but get 100 of each and try it out.

B_Rad - You can use the same die, some have reversible stems. My Dillion set has end for flat point and the other for round nose.

Can I ask a newb question. I've never thought about it but can you use the same seating die setting for both RN and FP? You shouldn't have to adjust the die for OAL when switching between the two, correct?

You can use the same die, but it will have to be adjusted between the two. They will have different coal.

RN will feed better and have less problems. You really won't notice a difference on energy displacement on the target. If you are waiting to verify the hits before going on to the next steel target you are just loosing time.

Even when shooting my .45 I likes the reliability of 230 RN better than semi wadcutters.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I've been loading FP, but have to load them pretty short for my M&P. I've been thinking of trying round nose to see if they would pass the plunk test with a little longer OAL.

I've been working with 147gr bullets and that means long bullets. My pistol has a short leade so the shape of the bullet is important in my gun. It is not that a RN fits better than a FN, it's how the RN is shaped. Where is the ogive of the bullet. I have FN bullets that load longer than some RN. The shape of the RN is important. So is seating depth. The last Berry's catalog I received had a chart of their bullets with the bullet OAL and COL of the cartridge. Seating depth for a 9mm varied from .180 to .262. I think the maximum seating depth should be .300 because that's where the shell walls thicken and will misshape the bullet. Be sure you are not compressing the charge. So after all that, if you have a long leade and can load to the maximum length, probably any shape you like will load. Remember seating a bullet deeper increases the pressure. Have fun.