Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the most aggressive 1911 grips?

R34PER

I was looking at kensight sharkskin grips, are they any good? Reviews make them sound extremely aggressive in roughness

I just put a set of these on one of my 1911s. Really happy with the grips. Good aggressive grip at an awesome price point.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

I'm interested in trying the 36 grit silicon carbide after doing some reading. Is it possible to build it up to get more texture? I'm also curious if there metal grips out there that are like svi 2011 grips.

How much texture are you looking for? 36 grit is extremely aggressive.

I used the Silicon carbide that comes in a pack from harbor freight i think it might be 36 grit. very aggressive and I like it a lot. I think I will attempt to duplicate what I have on my open and limited gun on a set of Perman grips to match once I get a single stack.

I really like the Riots by Derwood MFG. Taylor is the man there and he does a great job on G10 grips. I have several sets from them. I am unable to load a pic for some reason, but check out his website... www.derwoodmfg.com

I'm betting nothing is as grippy as 36 Grit! But a training buddy of mine said of my first pair of Riots, 'you can hang on to that with a bloody hand'. Perhaps a bit over the top, like my friend, but you get his point!

Thanks for all the great input!

Is JB Weld sufficient for applying grit? Also, where can you pick up silicon carbide? I have a tractor supply, harbor freight, lowes, etc around me, but none have them listed it on their websites.

Harbor Freight. I had to search for it at the store, it comes in a small red box that says thumlers tumbler. its inside what they call a tumbler pack.

it is the one labeled coarse. The small bag has more than enough to do more than one grip.

original Jb weld is what I used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/rock-polishing-abrasives-30956.html

Well I coated my grips with that course grit from harbor freight and jb weld. Waiting to see how these turn out. I used the Magpul grips that are only $19.99 so not a big deal if they don't turn out. If it does work out I have a P320 frame and tanfo grips taped up ready for the same treatment.

It certainly came out very aggressive. I haven't gotten to the range yet to see if that translates into a more solid grip when shooting. I think it look's pretty baller and it feels like I'm holding onto a rock instead of plastic. I made to keep the scoop. Here are some images of the final result:

post-61267-0-56223700-1464803193_thumb.j

post-61267-0-81070300-1464803208_thumb.j

I found a guy named james stehlin who makes grips and I ordered a set of the razor cut g10's for my 1911. They are extremely grippy and I feel like they could actually cut me (not really). But they are like glue to my palms!

(I would post a pic but not sure how)

JS Gun Grips

Edited by nickbfishn

Well I coated my grips with that course grit from harbor freight and jb weld. Waiting to see how these turn out. I used the Magpul grips that are only $19.99 so not a big deal if they don't turn out. If it does work out I have a P320 frame and tanfo grips taped up ready for the same treatment.

36 grit is definitely the most aggressive texturing that I have tried, and strangely it's also more comfortable than the very aggressive stippling. If the 36 is a little much for some people then I have been using a 46/70 grit mix with good results. I have done close to 100 P320s now.

K46LfUkh.jpg

Edited by alma