Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MUCH SHORTER OAL w/ the new BBI 147 gr.

MissionaryMike

My previous OAL for my Accu Shadow measured out to 1.12". That was with the older molds that had the lube groove. I just got a shipment of the new 147s that do NOT have the groove. I push tested, case gauged, plunked, spun...everything. I can't load anything longer than 1.08 to achieve consistent plunk and spins.

Anyone else have a similar experience w/ BBI's new molds?

-MM

That's about right, I also noticed with the NLG BBIs that I had to load shorter. If you look at the bullet profile of the NLGs vs the grooved design, the grooved design has a far steeper ogive, this allows you to load longer.

I stopped using them and switch to the 135 gr because of it. On the old 147 gr I had to load them pretty short to get the plunk/spin, with the newer style chamber space decreased dangerously before they would spin freely.

I am very happy with the 135 gr out of all 5 of my 9mm CZs. I know many other guys that run the same combo that swear by it, Also last I spoke with Chandler he recommends the 135 gr for steel frames pistols. I've also had good results with them trough my two 9mm 1911s.

I stopped using them and switch to the 135 gr because of it. On the old 147 gr I had to load them pretty short to get the plunk/spin, with the newer style chamber space decreased dangerously before they would spin freely.

I am very happy with the 135 gr out of all 5 of my 9mm CZs. I know many other guys that run the same combo that swear by it, Also last I spoke with Chandler he recommends the 135 gr for steel frames pistols. I've also had good results with them trough my two 9mm 1911s.

Just by eyeballing it, at the OAL (1.08) I need to load for the "new" profile to plunk and spin freely, I don't think the powder that I use (N320 @ 3.2 grains) is being compressed. The only reason I would use less powder is if I'm achieving an unnecessarily high PF.

I talked to Chandler yesterday, and he said that it's a commonplace report for shooters to be loading this new 147 bullet to 1.09, so 1.08 isn't far off. I guess all my thoughts are for naught until I get a chance to chrono the loads, which I will do in a couple of days. I'll make sure to report back w/ the results, as well as any signs of over pressure.

Edited by MissionaryMike

Bayou 147gr TC bullets load to 1.130 in my Shadow & SP01 (0.015" off the grooves), while the BBI 147 gr has to be pushed back to 1.085. Probably because the ogive of the BBI bullet is more rounded and touches the lands of the barrel sooner. Both chrono at 130PF (with slightly less powder for the BBI) and both seem to shoot okay, but I'd rather have that little extra case volume, for safety's sake.

My previous OAL for my Accu Shadow measured out to 1.12". That was with the older molds that had the lube groove. I just got a shipment of the new 147s that do NOT have the groove. I push tested, case gauged, plunked, spun...everything. I can't load anything longer than 1.08 to achieve consistent plunk and spins.

-MM

If you need your barrel throat reamed send it to me and I will do it for free.

As much as I liked BBI bullets, I too had to load as short as you with 147s for my CZ and it was causing some bulging on the random brass I was using. I eventually switched to SNS 147 flat points and I am able to load to 1.135 and get less brass issues.

• 5 months later...
On 5/23/2016 at 9:31 PM, wurm said:

As much as I liked BBI bullets, I too had to load as short as you with 147s for my CZ and it was causing some bulging on the random brass I was using. I eventually switched to SNS 147 flat points and I am able to load to 1.135 and get less brass issues.

So I ordered a couple BBI 147's last week and I was playing around with some load data last night. I seem to get reliable cambering in both of my guns ariound the 1.09OAL mark which is obviously shorter than the 1.14 I could get out of the SNS FP bullets. I measured the OAL of the actual bullet though and found it to be shorter than the SNS 147 bullet by about .03ish. This would mean that even though it is loaded shorter, the cavity for the powder ignition isn't that much less than a longer OAL SNS bullet. Let me know if anyone else notices the same thing.

Edited by Malarkey

4 hours ago, Malarkey said:

So I ordered a couple BBI 147's last week and I was playing around with some load data last night. I seem to get reliable cambering in both of my guns ariound the 1.09OAL mark which is obviously shorter than the 1.14 I could get out of the SNS FP bullets. I measured the OAL of the actual bullet though and found it to be shorter than the SNS 147 bullet by about .03ish. This would mean that even though it is loaded shorter, the cavity for the powder ignition isn't that much less than a longer OAL SNS bullet. Let me know if anyone else notices the same thing.

Your assessment is correct re: the volume inside the case after a bullet has been seated.  

This can be the result of the profile, the bullet diameter, or a combination of the two.  A .02 reduction isn't HUGE, probably worth a tenth of a grain or maybe two tenths worth of powder.  BUT there is something else you need to look out for.  The case walls of a 9mm Luger start to thicken at .300 from the case mouth.  You don't want to be loading to an OAL that outs the base of the bullet deeper than .300, or the bullet will either start to bow out the case walls, or the base of the bullet will get swaged, or both, none of which is going to be good for accuracy or function.

I used to load the BBI 147 WITH the lube groove a few years ago for my CZ, back before they switched to Hi-Tek.  I seated to 1.12, which had the bullet base right at .300.  The whole truth is that the bevel on the base of the bullet will allow you to get a touch deeper than .300 before you run into problems, but not much.  My assumption is that with this new bullet being .03 shorter but the OAL needing to be shortened by .05, you guys probably have a seating depth right now of .320.  That is less than ideal.  That might be enough to cause problems.  I've never had to seat anything deeper than .310.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:48 PM, MissionaryMike said:

-MM

Switch to blue bullets. I did and won't look back. I load between 1.135 -1.140 for my shadow. they seem to load easier than the bbi and don't smoke and stink like the bbi. 

22 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Switch to blue bullets. I did and won't look back. I load between 1.135 -1.140 for my shadow. they seem to load easier than the bbi and don't smoke and stink like the bbi. 

The black crap you get all over your hands (while loading the rounds or loading mags at the match) is a real pleasure, too.

BBI stinks?

To date the 147SNS FP has been my favorite, although "pending additional tests" I think that the BBI 147 "loaded to 1.09" may be on the same level. Dude blue bullets are like handling powdered smurfs. BBI's HI-Tek lube doesn't seem to come off as easy.

10 hours ago, teros135 said:

The black crap you get all over your hands (while loading the rounds or loading mags at the match) is a real pleasure, too.

BBI stinks?

Yes the hi tek coating has a terrible smell when fired. the coating on the blue seems tougher to me. I don't have to flare the case as much as I did with the bbi. the bbi shave very easily.

7 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Yes the hi tek coating has a terrible smell when fired. the coating on the blue seems tougher to me. I don't have to flare the case as much as I did with the bbi. the bbi shave very easily.

Could that be due to Blue's are .355 and BBI are .356?