Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 18" 3Gun Barrel

rtr

My recommendation, if you can swing it in the finance department, do it. You will not be disappointed.

I want to try one of those criterion barrels. I have heard lots of great things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-barrels-fluted-stainless-steel-rifle-length-prod84773.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-030-106&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-030-106&avs|Make_3=AR-15&avs|Manufacturer_1=criterion+barrels+inc&avs|Cartridge_1=AJO_223%2bWylde

18" Fluted Stainless Criterion Barrel nice and tight into an Aero upper, shoots 1/2 MOA with 77gr. Weighs 2.15 lbs (~34ounces) and isn't pencil thin.

I've had 5-6 16" guns prior and I like the extra length although I am thinking of adding a heavier stock, like a Magpul UBR to balance the rifle. And I think I will probably end up building a lightweight billet gun down the road (and keep both).              

Edited by Frankly

Lots of good choices mentioned here as I was searching the same thing when looking for a barrel months ago. I ended up going with a Rainer Arms Ultramatch Mod 2 barrel and it is a pretty good barrel. I’m well pleased with it.

JP's 18" light contour barrel meets your criteria. Mine shoots more accurately than I could ever need. As mentioned before each barrel comes with a head spaced bolt that lowers the price of the barrel. 

Also JP team members on the forum have codes to help you out. 

On 6/15/2019 at 4:29 AM, BamaBrad said:

Lots of good choices mentioned here as I was searching the same thing when looking for a barrel months ago. I ended up going with a Rainer Arms Ultramatch Mod 2 barrel and it is a pretty good barrel. I’m well pleased with it.

Any idea what the minimum handguard ID required for this barrel with the included Rainier gas block would be?  I'm wondering if it would fit inside a BCM MCMR.

Also, wondering if anyone has feedback on the Rainier lightweight match .223 Wylde barrel in the 18" length.

Edited by TalkingMonkey

Any idea what the minimum handguard ID required for this barrel with the included Rainier gas block would be?  I'm wondering if it would fit inside a BCM MCMR.

Also, wondering if anyone has feedback on the Rainier lightweight match .223 Wylde barrel in the 18" length.

I used the Aero Precision Enhanced Gen2 handguard with no issues at all. 1.72” I.D Seriously, this barrel is very accurate. https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-enhanced-mlok-handguards

• 1 month later...

The best light barrel is the proof research period. There are lots of good values around these days but if you arent willing to compromise you can have a heavy contour 18 that handles heat and weighs about same as a 14.5

• 1 month later...

Lots of barrels to select from out there. Look at Green Mountain 18" rifle barrel- it is fluted and weighs about 2.2#. The one I have shoots great and it costs about $200. Several of the guys in our club use them.

If you want to spend more money get a JP light contour 18 " barrel. I have one of these and it shoots extremely well as does the Green Mountain.