Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety use on a 1911

jimbo61

I'm new to 1911's. When during the draw stroke should the safety be flipped off? While shooting a stage, should the safety ever be engaged? Like while moving or doing reloads? I know of one GM level shooter who engages the safety when moving between shooting positions. I'm just wondering if this is common practice. Thanks!

I like to disengage when the pistol is in front of me. The need to engage the safety when moving may depend on which sport you are talking about. IPSC rules have this:

8.5 Movement
8.5.1 Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets, all movement must be accomplished with the fingers visibly outside the trigger guard and the external safety should be applied....

(my emphasis)

http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf

I read that as a strong recommendation to engage the safety.

Should does not mean must.

I shoot IPSC. No-one I know activates the safety again during the COF on purpose.

JJ Racaza posted the other day that he hits the mag release, activates the safety, reloads, then turns the safety off again on each reload.

I'm new to 1911's. When during the draw stroke should the safety be flipped off? While shooting a stage, should the safety ever be engaged? Like while moving or doing reloads? I know of one GM level shooter who engages the safety when moving between shooting positions. I'm just wondering if this is common practice. Thanks!

The most common practice I'm aware of is to disengage the safety as the gun is on its way up to your focal plane, or somewhere around mid chest.

As far as re engaging the safety during the COF, none of the shooters I know do that. Not to say it isn't done, just unaware of it.

Whatever it takes to keep from cooking one off.

It's been awhile since I shot in SS division, but I trained myself for decades now, to reengage the safety when I'm not actively pressing the trigger. I don't even need to think about it anymore. It just happens automatically; click on/click off with my thumb riding the safety. Same thing with the finger out of the trigger guard, no thought required, the finger comes out automatically and moves to the frame of the gun.

I try to do things the same way all the time to simplify them. So my safety comes off when I'm on target. It happens very rapidly as I more or less indicated above. Same automatic movement by my thumb as above.

Thanks for the replies. I've been dry firing, so I want to make sure I'm grooving a good technique. I'm flipping the safety off after clearing the holster, but before my hands come together.

I also read about how JJ flips the safety on for reloads. Now that's impressive!

I shoot SS. The safety goes on after I've loaded a barney on the make ready. It goes off at the draw. The safety stays off until the next stage after the load etc...

Off in front of me doesn't come on util LAMR. Interesting note is Manny Bragg will engage it when he uses his muzzle to push through a blocked port, Found out the reason at last years Sunshine State Games, gun came out of battery on a fellow squad mates gun and the light recoil spring didn't rechamber the round.

Off in front of me doesn't come on util LAMR. Interesting note is Manny Bragg will engage it when he uses his muzzle to push through a blocked port, Found out the reason at last years Sunshine State Games, gun came out of battery on a fellow squad mates gun and the light recoil spring didn't rechamber the round.

This is a very good point!

You could get one of those safetys that automatically re-engages every time you take your thumb off of it, then it would be a no brainer. Reload? Safety on. LAMR? Thumb on, rack, thumb off, safety on. Pretty neat.

Edited by nahanshew89

You could get one of those safetys that automatically re-engages every time you take your thumb off of it, then it would be a no brainer. Reload? Safety on. LAMR? Thumb on, rack, thumb off, safety on. Pretty neat.

My new open gun was designed primarily for 3 gun has the LSI automatic safety.

After spending some time on the range with it I found I like having the safety on during movement and reloads. Once I get my lazy butt in gear, I plan on installing one on my USPSA open gun too.

After spending some time on the range with it I found I like having the safety on during movement and reloads. Once I get my lazy butt in gear, I plan on installing one on my USPSA open gun too.

Yeah, they're pretty cool, I'd like to get one, but Idk where to find them. Edited by nahanshew89

Yeah, they're pretty cool, I'd like to get one, but Idk where to find them.

Glenn with Lone Star Innovations makes and sells them.

All of his thumb safeties are also available with a set screw adjustment for sear engagement.

Benefits are its fast to install, no filing needed to fit (that could also result in a destroyed safety if too much is taken out) and if you ever want to move it to another gun, heat up the loctite and adjust the set screw for the new gun.

http://www.lonestarinnovations.com/ for contact information.

Yeah, they're pretty cool, I'd like to get one, but Idk where to find them.

Glenn with Lone Star Innovations makes and sells them.

All of his thumb safeties are also available with a set screw adjustment for sear engagement.

Benefits are its fast to install, no filing needed to fit (that could also result in a destroyed safety if too much is taken out) and if you ever want to move it to another gun, heat up the loctite and adjust the set screw for the new gun.

http://www.lonestarinnovations.com/ for contact information.

How much is it? I'm a cheap bastard.

I'm old and I have a bad memory. That and I'm a cheap bast**d too.

I'm pretty sure it was under $100 for the ambi stainless steel model with wide paddles on each side. Lots of options available on paddle size.

When I got mine I thought others might be interested so posted some information and pictures here on the Enos forum.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225120

At what point is the gun pointed at your leg?

A pistol in a holster, or just coming out of the holster either points at your leg or foot, or pretty near. It is so near that I don't want ANYTHING to go wrong. Disengaging when the weak hand gets on the pistol, or even later, doesn't waste any time.