Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-4 variable vs .... for a shtf AR

ATMester

...iron sights will rule the kingdoms of hope and goodness.

come on Kurt, we're talking shtf, not being bombed back to the cave man days. Besides how am I supposed to impress other preppers at the EoD if I'm not super double tactical with my high speedery? ;D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee how did we shoot before optics? Once all the batteries die and all the scopes loose the ability to stay zeroed, iron sights will rule the kingdoms of hope and goodness.

I know you are a little older than me, but I had no idea you were that old. :)

Gee how did we shoot before optics? Once all the batteries die and all the scopes loose the ability to stay zeroed, iron sights will rule the kingdoms of hope and goodness.

Back up irons should be on a zombie gun I agree. The key point being back up. No one in their right mind would use them when a perfectly good optic is avaiable. (just poking the bear Kurt) lol

Pat

Hmmm, seems to me we won a whole big zombie match in the 1940s with iron sights, and didn't do so bad with them up into the middle 2000s. Now you all act like they never existed, or aren't useful at all. I beg to differ, I good set of iron sights can hang with optics in most every aspect of shooting. It just takes a bit of practice and understanding.......ooopsy, now I get it, NONE OF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IRONS!!!!! Carry on then! :lol:

In the great zombie match of the 40s the opposition only had iron sights as well :ph34r:

True a lot more Americans were killed in the civil war with musket balls but I would not want to arm myself with a musket today. Time marches on.

TR24, 1-6 Accupoint, or ACOG all the way. I have had my TR24 for several years now, and I haven't noticed any decrement in low light or fiber optic performance. Plus I am faster with it than a red dot, as the triangle is clearer for me than a fuzzy dot.

It isn't perfect for the 3 gun game, but it is on the rifle I would grab if I REALLY needed a rifle.

absolutely correct. Alaska-/po is on the job in Alaska. he does it for real. red dot IN THE SCOPE.

my shtf/every day gun is:

13" d/d 1-7 with surefire connector shoots 75gr tap all day(and nite)

1x4- ffp short dot.

a/point on d/d 45 deg mount. right side.

flip up irons jic

in the real world, life ain't fair girls (stolen from a great man)

no whistles, stop watch's, foul line.

no such thing as UNFAIR ADVANTAGE use all u need or can get.

and yes I shoot all the 3-gun I can get to. lets me play with new toys. BTW my idpa # is UNDER 200.

jjw

Ok, ok, ok, first off on a shtf "Rifle" we are no longer talking .223......at least in my world. I want something that will anchor a large Zoo animal. If I can ascertain that a problem exists, it is going to be with good old eye balls as your out and about.....hunting large Zoo animals. In this guise irons will do everything and more. I would proffer that "WIlling", and accurate fire will over come most any casual encounter. If "they" are sniping they will either miss and you can run away or they will hit and you won't need a large Zoo animal.

I have seen iron sighted rifles dropped right on their sights from shoulder high and all they need is maybe a quick re-zero. I have seen quality optics dropped that need to be sent back because broken glass pouring out the end of the tube says " not useful" in so many ways! :lol:

Bad science Markco! You may have more scopes, but could you fix the irons you broke? I would find it very hard to believe you couldn't. I know that I have yet to see a "broken" set of irons I couldn't fix with a craftsman tool box set. Not so with an optic!!! Also your paradigm is not correct

You would have to compare how many irons to how many iron breaks to how many optic to optic breaks and I know you have posted.about several optic returns over the last 5 years.....non sequitur for your post!

Ok, ok, ok, first off on a shtf "Rifle" we are no longer talking .223......at least in my world. I want something that will anchor a large Zoo animal. If I can ascertain that a problem exists, it is going to be with good old eye balls as your out and about.....hunting large Zoo animals. In this guise irons will do everything and more. I would proffer that "WIlling", and accurate fire will over come most any casual encounter. If "they" are sniping they will either miss and you can run away or they will hit and you won't need a large Zoo animal.

I have seen iron sighted rifles dropped right on their sights from shoulder high and all they need is maybe a quick re-zero. I have seen quality optics dropped that need to be sent back because broken glass pouring out the end of the tube says " not useful" in so many ways! :lol:

If your hunting and smart you can harvest very large animals with a .223. Shot placement is key. I have killed a bear with a 5.56 75 grain tap round. In a SHTF rifle a .223 is one of the best choices due to the ammo availability and the ability to carry more rounds with you. A .308 AR would be a better choice in some situation more poor in others.

Pat

Tr24 or acog. If you are really paranoid, pay every 5 years to put new tritium in. Means you have 10 years of tritium worst case scenario.

At least you have a daylight sight. No way I would pay the cost to put new tritium in those. Around 400 bills.

Pat

Tr24 or acog. If you are really paranoid, pay every 5 years to put new tritium in. Means you have 10 years of tritium worst case scenario.

Assuming they put tritium in it with lots of shelf life...

Every time when I am about to pull the trigger on a TR25 with red triangle, I find a post (this last one is from pistol forums) that one of the members over there has a TR24 dated 2010 and an ACOG manufacturing date unknown but they both have dead tritium lamps after about 5 and a half years...

IMO Accupoints make great daytime outdoor scopes but with no natural lights available to gather or dead tritium lamps they just extra weight on the rifle...:D

So as any other battery operated optics BUT if spare batteries available they can be fully operational as long as batteries are available ...

Edited by ATMester

At least you have a daylight sight. No way I would pay the cost to put new tritium in those. Around 400 bills.

Pat

Don't think just the tritium is that expensive. That is price for all internals if I remember correctly. Just saying, its an option.

Pat

Don't think just the tritium is that expensive. That is price for all internals if I remember correctly. Just saying, its an option.

I was told that was the price quoted by a friend of mine who was looking at getting new Tritium.

my view is anything closer of 200 yard would be sighted by my armalite 308 with a magnifier -holographic combo, OR my AK with irons ; at that point where the action is close with numerous zombies coming at you , you need a quick aquisition system that will not break on you if ever it slams on the ground . my ak with irons is the back up.

for anything farter like in ''take it out before it's near '''' yep a nightforce NXS riding on my cadex cdx 300 is my shtf rifle. the nsx can take a beating without missing a beat.

forget about the batteries, a device that will fail unless you have a very good stock .