Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you keep in your range bag??

bird

I bought the dillon bag (black) and it is really a nice bag.

($60.00 cash)

I want to get into competition once things get back to normal with my wife and 3 kids ( my wife was in an accident 6 weeks ago with only a 10% chance of living--she is now home and getting better every day--Thank God).

I can only go to the range 1x per month for now.

($ is very tight for the next few months)

I will use my HK  USP fullsize .45 pistol and need to know what i should pack my dillon bag with.

Thanks for any help you can give me.. I am really looking forward to IPSC shooting with my .45 once things are on an even keel in my life...

Sorry to hear about your wife, hope she's better soon.

With a 1911 I'd tell you that besides ammo and mags, keep some important small parts eg extractor ejector hammer sear etc.

With the Hk I'm not too sure yet what you might have to replace in an emergency, worst case prob. just the extractor.

Keep a cleaning kit, lube, timer, stapler, range rod, hammer (trust me) and and a note pad (in case you want to write any 0bservations or contact names and numbers. Oh and a rule book...lol

Pat

Ditto to Pats comments Bird, I would add one of those little camping hand towels and a fold up poncho. These things take up little or no space but are great when the weather turns nasty or too hot.

Glad to hear of your wifes recovery,

P.D.

One tip, not necessarily for bird as he has a bag already. Do not buy the large size bags. Trust me you'll fill the small/regular size ones 'til you can't carry them any more. The big ones will get filled too and unless you have a pet camel it's a b**** to carry. Unless of course you look real bagged and Nyle Leatham passes by with his cart. He saved our National team last year at the Pan Ams giving three of us a ride up to the upper ranges at PASA . Maybe Brian can pass on our thanks.

Try to keep it light especially with .45 ammo taking up a good portion of your space.

Pat

I don't know about the big matches (where do you park?).  I think, for local matches you might want two bags (or a bag and a tool box).  Leave one bag in the car with all the stuff you don't need.  Carry what you have to have for the stages.  Load as needed.

I keep forgetting a towel.  I remember the sunblock though.  Extra ear and eye protection.  And why not just take an extra gun?  That way you have a backup and might be able to shoot through a second time with your other system.  Variety is good.

Hey...if you take that MK23 of yours you won't need to carry a hammer around. :)

Best wishes to you wife and family.

One thing that no one's mentioned, but that I find comes in really handy is a box of Band-Aids. Now, eventually those of us who shoot a lot get so tired of guns that cut up our hands we have every sharp edge ground into oblivion. But, especially if you attend a lot of shooting classes, you can bet that before the end of the first day at least one person is going to be streaming blood and looking around saying, "Um, does anyone have a Band-Aid?"

You can always tell the experienced shooters at a class. They're the ones who have Band-Aids in their bags.

You people just wont leave Astro Glide allow will you.

One thing that ended up in my range bag by accident was tape. Both scotch and electrical.  Several time this has come in handy.  And I will agree with the band aids. If you are on course or teaching one, someone will always get cut. Just ask Pat.  I believe there's a post on the site some where about a strange grip...Band-Aids will be needed if you try it.

One thing I have found that works for me is actually having three bags...I carry two and leave one in the truck.  I carry a range bag with the essentials for the shooting line and a few little things.  The second one I carry is a separate little ammo bag (the Dillon dual compartment bag (~$25 or so)).  This really helps even out the weight of the ammo and the range bag and it offers a great place to put empty brass so it doesn't have to go into the rangebag (and get everything else in there sandy/dirty).  The third is just a tool box in the truck that I keep large parts that I might need and all that other stuff (rainsuit,etc....) you might just need sometime.

Wayne

(Edited by WayneBullock at 6:26 am on June 28, 2001)

I made the video when I was young and needed the money...so get of my back.  But ofcourse if you are interested I can make a few more copies.  

I like all of the ideas people have.  I only have one problem...I you took everything listed in these post,  you will need to hire a moving company to get you to the range.

To chime in along the lines of what Duane mentioned;

athletic tape as well as band-aids will make your shooting classes much much more. fun.

As a sufferer of trigger finger blisters on serrated glocks (I now have a smooth trigger thx) I found white athletic tape saved the day.

if not mentioned before

- soft ear plugs (in case you shoot tons indoors,  wear 'em under your muffs)

- sunscreen

- some sort of pain killer (advil, etc.)

- small pack of baby wipes (gets the lead off your hands quickly)

- spare muffs & eyes for friends, non- shooters

- staple gun (I'm getting all A hits these days with it)

And yes, I fit this all in a normal sized Waller range bag, along with my g19, and 300 rounds... ;-)

regards,

Francis