Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean open gun after every match?

Sandbagger123

clean gun BEFORE EVERY MATCH DAY

+1 I clean and oil

Few years ago, I switched from oil to Brian's Slide Glide - GREAT STUFF> :cheers:

Same here. The reason - my new SVI refused to run on oil, and SV recommended the Slide Glide: I was skeptical, but it did the trick, so that is what I am using.

I start every match with a clean gun. It is no big deal to remove my slide racker. Round count can vary quite a bit, depending on the amount of live fire practice . . . 200 ~ 500 rounds I suppose.

As far as lubrication, oil in temps below 40* and Slide Glide in warm weather.

As for the bore, I run a nylon brush through a couple times and do a visual inspection. That's it.

Edited by Reshoot

I start every match with a clean gun. It is no big deal to remove my slide racker. Round count can vary quite a bit, depending on the amount of live fire practice . . . 200 ~ 500 rounds I suppose.

As far as lubrication, oil in temps below 40* and Slide Glide in warm weather.

As for the bore, I run a nylon brush through a couple times and do a visual inspection. That's it.

This is pretty much my routine also.

Except for the slide glide.

Cleaning a gun is a peaceful time for me.

A well known builder said that oil mixed with carbon is a great lapping compound. Whether it is accurate or not, frequent cleaning makes me think I am protecting the guns fit.

I field strip and clean and lube after every match and every practice session. I disassemble the slide to clean the extractor and tunnel about every 1000 rounds. I strip the frame and fire control stuff as I get around 5000 rounds or so. I mostly shoot HS-6 and MG's.

• 3 months later...

Mobil1 on lugs, rails, hood, extractor groove. Cycle 15-20 times and wipe crud coming out of the gun. Apply Mobil 1 again and repeat. No need to disassemble - let Mobil 1 cleaning agents do the job. As far as barrel, once every 10,000 rounds - no copper brush.

Cleaning isn't just cleaning. It's inspecting and maintaining. You don't have to get crazy, but give it the "once over" after/before every match to ensure you won't have issues.

"A champion leaves nothing to chance. he does not hope his guns will work; he makes sure they do." -Saul Kirsch

Wait, you all actually clean your guns?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

One time my .22 barrel leaded up so bad with Remington Thunderbolt rounds that it couldn't keep the rounds on a 6 inch plate at 12 yards. I fired about 100 copper plated rounds through it, problem solved.

I'm kidding with the first statement, not kidding about the .22. I used to clean my guns after every outing until I read up on the subject from some major match barrel manufacturers who basically said that when accuracy starts to suffer, use a copper remover. Any more than that and you will be wearing out the barrel faster than the bullets. Since then, I haven't seen my handgun accuracy degrade to the point where I felt they warranted a cleaning. I'll put some oil on the bolt or slide, but that's pretty much it.

Edited by Whoops!