Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major - Anyone use Xtreme bullets

Frank34

So got my new 9mm open gun today. Loaded up some 124s with 7.0 grains of Autocomp to test the gun out. I found that I couldn't shoot a group at 15 yards and the bullets were key holing. I bought a box of 115 full metal jackets off the shelf and shot a 1 inch group at 25 yards.

I think that the standard plating on the Xtreme bullets can't take the major velocities, does anyone have any experience with the heavy plated Xtreme bullet in 9 major or should I steer clear. I don't want to buy 6K bullets that I can't use in my open gun.

Thanks in advance for the advice

I just bought 1000 124 fp xtreme's for my 357 sig. There is plenty of flat lower section of the 124 for the 357 sig. But when I loaded a single 124 for 9mm. It doesn't seem like much surface for the bullet to hold on to. Seems kinda of short. I'm sure someone else will add their experience.

So got my new 9mm open gun today. Loaded up some 124s with 7.0 grains of Autocomp to test the gun out. I found that I couldn't shoot a group at 15 yards and the bullets were key holing. I bought a box of 115 full metal jackets off the shelf and shot a 1 inch group at 25 yards.

I think that the standard plating on the Xtreme bullets can't take the major velocities, does anyone have any experience with the heavy plated Xtreme bullet in 9 major or should I steer clear. I don't want to buy 6K bullets that I can't use in my open gun.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Same terrible results you're describing with xtremes. I gave up on them after I saw how inaccurate they were out of my open gun. Any coated bullet is cheaper and perform much better too.

There was another thread on here just yesterday. My experience was the same that xtremes had the worst accuracy of pretty much anything. If you have a micrometer check the diameter. I found the batch I had was undersize which in that particular gun would easily account for poor grouping and tumbling. Now they have more size options going up a size might fix it.. Or try something else. :)

i loaded a bunch of xtreme 124's for my open when i first got it to test the function. about the same load 6.8 AC. it functioned well but the accuracy was not all too hot.

For the same price as xtremes go for the PD or MG by the case. its no really that much more than xtreme if bought in cases

L ooked at the load data for Autocomp and I dont see any 9mm that takes a 7grn charge of Autocomp. I loaded some 124 Xtreme with 4.something and they shot pretty well.

the only thing even close to that charge is 6.5 for a 90 gr bullet. Where is this load from? seems high based on their web load data.

L ooked at the load data for Autocomp and I dont see any 9mm that takes a 7grn charge of Autocomp. I loaded some 124 Xtreme with 4.something and they shot pretty well.

the only thing even close to that charge is 6.5 for a 90 gr bullet. Where is this load from? seems high based on their web load data.

It's 9 major. You aren't gonna find load data for it in any book. We are loading 9mm up to 38 super velocities for major pf scoring.

I run 7.2gr Silhouette with 124gr HPCB Xtreme's and the accuracy is great out of my Czechmate.

I also run 115gr HPCB over AA#7 out of my FGW 5" is accuracy is also great. Unless you're buying 25,000+ from Xtreme, the savings isn't worth it over Precision Deltas or Montana Golds though.

TOP BULLET MANUFACTURER SURVEY 2015 NATIONALS

MONTANA GOLD - 52%
PRECISION DELTA - 13%
ZERO BERRY’S - 12%
77% Use Jacketed Bullets
Extreme 3%
Plated do not cost less than Jacket so I don't see the value. JMO.

Im running the xtreme 124 heavy plate concave base at around 1400fps. They don't dirty up the gun and seem to be accurate enough for me. (never really bench rested it)

I was wondering if the heavy plate would work. We have a group where we always buy 25k Xtreme at a time. I just don't want to be stuck with 5k bullets that won't work for me.

The groups open way up past ten yards, the heavy plate are better, but still only half way to Montana Gold.

That's encouraging... not. Just bought 5k of the heavy plate 115s. How bad are we talking for groups?

Not only were they not as accurate but I also found the Xtreme 115 JHP to be incredibly short bullets. I wasn't comfortable stretching them out to 1.168

I just ordered 2K Precision Delta 124s I know those are going to work. I called Xtreme today and they are sending me some heavy plate bullets to try for free. I'll see how they work

Edited by Frank34

So. I got some Xtreme heavy plate bullet samples and tried them. Groups are still way to large for USPSA shooting and the bullets were key holing at longer distances. So the heavy plate is a little better but not good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought 1000 124 fp xtreme's for my 357 sig. There is plenty of flat lower section of the 124 for the 357 sig. But when I loaded a single 124 for 9mm. It doesn't seem like much surface for the bullet to hold on to. Seems kinda of short. I'm sure someone else will add their experience.

I wanted to respond to what I wrote 22 days ago. Since I shoot Open Major with a Glock 31 (357 sig) and using a 9mm bullet. I picked up a few of the Xtreme 124 fn to use 3 weeks ago. Did some loading, bench resting and testing. Found a few good loads using Power Pistol and Longshot. 124fn is going 1353 fps.

8 yards looks good, but out to 15 yards, forget it. All over the place. I decided to pull a few loaded rounds and check these Xtreme 124's. Too soft, I can see a slight ring where the case mouth was over crimped. I tried to use a light crimp, but the bullet would not hold. Bummer, I have these 124's now.

I decided to get the Montana Gold 125 jhp for this Glock 31. Good luck with the Xtreme's, not for me.