Leatham Legend High Cap .40

dirtypool40

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I missing something here, it just a Para clone.

Yes I would like to see good quality high cap mags for para.

Para stills sells the P15 and P16's right? I've built mine from frame kits so I'm not sure about the quality of the internals.

My favorite carry is a P12 with Commander Les Baer slide and Wilson barrel. Along with some Novak sights.

Tuning the Para Mags has always be a ammo wasting pain.

I sent an email to Deb with a few questions, thought I would share with you.

Hi Jake,

1. A Custom Shop gun? No

2. Or a high end production gun like the Trophy Match? Top of the line factory pistol, like single stack Trophymatch

3. Is the match grade barrel a Nowlin and is it ramped? The barrel is not a Nowlin. It is a factory match barrel, but it is fully ramped & supported.

4. Is a bull barrel going to be offered? Only as a custom upgrade for $395

5. What will be the suggested retail? The suggested retail for this model has not yet been announced.

6.When will they be available? Late fall per production

7. Any other finished (i.e. stainless, two tone?) Other finishes can be done through the custom shop at additional charges.

Deb

Custom Shop Coordinator

Springfield Custom

420 West Main St.

Geneseo, IL 61254

800-617-6751

customshop@springfield-armory.com

As far as a Para clone, no, the Para's use a Colt style series 80 firing pin block and the SA's do not.

Since SA has, in the past, gone through the PITA of getting guns certified for sale in CA , perhaps they will this one as well. If so, I can see it as the perfect L-10 for those in the PRK. IF it is in the price range of the Trophy Match ( $ 1400 ) maybe .......

This was a little over $1600 from Nowlins w/o mags

28759126pfzkAWxKfv_ph.jpg

With mags and a second barrel fitted with a 3x comp it was a little over $2K

SA would have to be around $1150-1250 (like the Trophy Match is around here)

to make me interested, and even then it is still a production gun and dropping the extra $400-500 would be worth the price for the extra touches from a Custom Shop or gunsmith.

(Attached photo with second barrel installed)

Oh yeah I was a dumbass and sold this gun, still kicking myself

post-2563-1114272936_thumb.jpg

I thought I read somewhere a while back that standard STI mags will work in a Para if the mag catch slot is rewelded and cut to fit. Is that right or just some rumor?

If so, that may be what SA is planning to do or maybe a modified mag catch that works with a std STI mag.

I'm just guessing here.........

Craig

any of you guys checked out : Shooting times annual, 2005 buyer's guide page#67?shows springfield leatham trophy match, 40 s&w, adj.rear and fiber optic with 16 round mag, no price yet though, looks like they really are going to build it, if they build it, I'll buy one!! :)

From what I’ve seen (I’ve played with the older 45acp high-cap Springfield not the new 40) the para and Springfield are almost the same gun.

1) The Springfield has a forged frame instead of paras cast frame.

2) Springfield has a 70 series trigger group, instead of paras 80 series (whoever invented the 80 series trigger group should be hurt very badly!!!!!)

Besides that the differences are minor,

Paras can run para, STI, or SV mags, all you have to do is play with the mag catch (been there done that).

If the slide locks back you can over insert the STI/SV mags, but if you deactivate the slide stop (does not lock open on an empty mag) then that is not a problem.

I read somewhere that TGO has always run STI/SV mags in his Springfield, and that Springfield is recommending STI/SV mags anyway (they must be setting up there mag catch for them).

I have ran paras for the last 5 years, while I’m not going to run out and sell them to buy the new Springfield, if I was just starting I’d buy them instead of my paras (for the reasons above + quality control) depending on the price.

And I’m sure if you do not like there standard model the custom shop will do anything you want to it.

• 7 months later...

:)

Its not much of a job to get SVI mags to work in the Springfield Hi-cap

at one time Rob was using them in his open gun,he showed me how they

modified the mag catch.Same with Para's when we where using the9x25

I used SVI forty mags in it on the Para frame.

Jim

Sailors custom ;)

Thanks Luis - excellent photo. I noticed that the gun has a bushing and when these go on sale in 2006, I think they will be identical to the picture you posted. Looks like it would be ready to go in USPSA, IPSC and ESP class in IDPA.

As for the .40 Rob uses in competition, I thought Rob's IPSC World Shoot and 2005 Nationals gun had a bull barrel?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mr. Leatham AKA "The Great One" will be kicking our butts with an iron sighted Limited gun when he is sixty!! Bull barrel or bushing barrel...it won't make a difference!

SA is not going to produce these this year, probably not at all. Ithas been removed from there website back in Jan or Feb

That's a real shame......... That's one sexy looking gun!!!!

What is Springfield's problem? They couldn't see a goldmine if jumped up and kicked them in the face :wacko: .

:(:(:(:(:(