Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC to SBR or Not

brisix

I see the advantages to running an SBR in PCC. My only concern is travel with an SBR to major matches or to local matches across state lines to Illinois. My question is it worth running an SBR and having to deal with legal hassles that come with traveling interstate with a SBR(s)?

I think it'd be fun for local matches but I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble of the out of state matches. It's a new division so I'd like to see some of the kinks worked out before I get all geared up for it.

Do it, filing the paperwork for out of state is easy. Besides, running a pistol caliber SBR suppressed is too much fun. It almost gets "hollywood" quiet with subsonic rounds. Too bad you can't run them suppressed in competition.

I'd definitely sbr a PCC to eventually suppress, but definitely not for sport shooting. Adds too much trouble for travel and I don't see the benefit on performance to justify it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

Can someone explain to me how much of a hassle it is to get your SBR out of state? I haven't done it yet so I'm curious for myself, but I thought that 5320.20's were approved once you submit in eForms?

Edited by DocMedic

Can someone explain to me how much of a hassle it is to get your SBR out of state? I haven't done it yet so I'm curious for myself, but I thought that 5320.20's were approved once you submit in eForms?

It may be fairly easy but I have no desire to risk a federal felony if I have a colossal brain fart and forget to do proper paperwork.

Do it, filing the paperwork for out of state is easy. Besides, running a pistol caliber SBR suppressed is too much fun. It almost gets "hollywood" quiet with subsonic rounds. Too bad you can't run them suppressed in competition.

Why can't you run them suppressed in competition? I've run my 5.56 SBR suppressed in competitions plenty of times.

Have the sensitivity adjusted, or get the timer next to the ejection port.

That still doesn't answer my question as to why you "cant" run them suppressed in competition. Is it written in a rule book somewhere or?

That still doesn't answer my question as to why you "cant" run them suppressed in competition. Is it written in a rule book somewhere or?

Current provisional rules for PCC prohibit use of suppressor.

Edited by brisix

Current provisional rules for PCC prohibit use of suppressor.

It's virtually guaranteed that the timer is going to miss shots on a suppressed PCC, especially when you think about ports and odd shooting positions we end up in.

Do it. It is the raison d'être for pistol caliber carbines. Suppressed or not. Simple to ask permission. If a state has a rule, then that is a problem. From an ATF standpoint they just want to know where it is.

5320.20 is currently unavailable through eforms. It's paper only for the time being.

From an ATF standpoint they just want to know where it is.

It really doesn't even do that for them. I've currently got approved forms for half a dozen different states. So "where" are they right now?

From a practical standpoint, it's not much hassle. ATF will approve them for up to a 1-year date range, and for multiple trips. So each year you file for any state you think you may want to visit. Even if you're not sure, go ahead and fill out the form for that one too. It doesn't cost you anything more than an extra couple of pieces of paper.

Just remember to send them in early enough. I'm currently waiting on another set that I sent in a month ago.