Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pushing small comps.

thompsoncustom

I am in the process of finding the ideal major load for my 9mm open gun and im wondering if anything can be gained from pushing a 3 port comp and what i mean by that is will the gun shoot any flatter if im putting 8gr behind a 124gr vs 6gr of a faster powder or is most of the extra gas being pushed out the muzzle.

Right now im making major with 6.3gr of powerpistol or 6gr of autocomp but im considering a slower powder trying to get it to shoot flatter. Comp is a modified maverick glock comp 3 vertical ports and 4 small horizonal ports.

Ya that's what I see most people saying I just figured there has to be a point of diminishing returns due to the design I would think. Example would be you probably couldn't put enough powder through a 2 port comp to ever get it to run like say SJC 11 port comp just due to the design alone.

what I need to do is just buy a really slow powder like aa7 and load it up to see if it runs any flatter.

Hello: They don't make AA7 anymore. Try some HS-6 and a good comp design with some 115's. That will be about the best combo I have used. Thanks, Eric

I am having issues with hs6 at 7gr with a 115gr jhp bullet. Trying to make a good minor load with a caver 3 port comp. After just 20 rds through the chrono at an average of 1200 fps my chamber and barrel have this crud in it.

post-41841-0-88864400-1458907874_thumb.j

Hello: They don't make AA7 anymore. Try some HS-6 and a good comp design with some 115's. That will be about the best combo I have used. Thanks, Eric

They still make AA7. I just bought 8 lbs of it. You're talking about Accurate #7?

Accurate No.7 is certainly still in production and is readily available.

Lovex D037.1 (major pistol) is made by a manufacturing facility that used to make No.7 and is advertised as being "similar" to AA No.7. I have read that users say it is identical.

IMR SR4756 and SR7625 is no longer made.

I have a couple guns with 3 port comps, one a steel gun and the other an USPSA gun. The best answer is to try a few different powders (I've horse traded a 1/2 cup of a powder type from fellow shooters just to try that powder, that way if I don't like it I'm not stuck with a full pound.)

I like AA7 and use it often, but Silhouette, HS-6, CFR, and Win AC also work OK.

I am having issues with hs6 at 7gr with a 115gr jhp bullet. Trying to make a good minor load with a caver 3 port comp. After just 20 rds through the chrono at an average of 1200 fps my chamber and barrel have this crud in it.
Josh HS6 is filthy nasty at low PF's. The hotter you run it the cleaner it gets

Josh HS6 is filthy nasty at low PF's. The hotter you run it the cleaner it gets

I just really don't want to run hotter in a glock. I know people do it all the time but the thought of running a lot of major just seems like to will wear the gun out pretty quick so trying to find a nice 140-150 ish pf load to use for steel and 3 gun.

When I went from 6.8 to 7 it did help so maybe I will have to push it up to 7.3 and see what happens.

I tried 3n38 and it metered terrible. And the 7gr of hs6 just felt great and was very accurate so was disappointed when I noticed how dirty it was. I guess I could just run it dirty as long as it doesn't affect reliably. I clean my guns after every match anyway so that's not an issue

^^^^

Agreed. HS-6 and Silhouette is nasty for making low minor loads. I use it for 150+ pf loads and it is better and lots cleaner as the pressure gets higher.

For low minor pf, even with a comp, I like the faster powders like 700x, American Select, WST, and GM3. Lots cleaner than the slower powders and the gun shoots well. More important than flatness is predictable dot movement. I'd say try a faster powder and see what you think.

I should also point out im stuck with a couple things, the comp and the bullet weight.

Gun is a modifed CZ sp-01 shadow and since they dont make comps for this gun i had to cut up the maverick glock comp to get it to work. As far as bullets go i cast and coat everything i shoot so bullets will fall at right about 128grs.

Edited by thompsoncustom

^^^^

Agreed. HS-6 and Silhouette is nasty for making low minor loads. I use it for 150+ pf loads and it is better and lots cleaner as the pressure gets higher.

For low minor pf, even with a comp, I like the faster powders like 700x, American Select, WST, and GM3. Lots cleaner than the slower powders and the gun shoots well. More important than flatness is predictable dot movement. I'd say try a faster powder and see what you think.

The slower powders just work the comp better.. i did run some 115gr and 147gr minor loads with n320. They ran fine in the gun just felt like the comp was non existent.

Thanks kneelingatlas thats good to know might have to chop up a different one at some point i sure wish someone would come out and make a threaded CZ major comp.

Ive thought about trying to open some of the ports up to bleed off more gas.

Edited by thompsoncustom

As long as most, if not all of the gases are directed up or sideways then that is what matters most. If you have a comp with 5 up ports and you only have enough gas to work the first 3 then 3 is all you need. Port size and design can be tweaked so a comp with 2 or 3 ports will work fine.

Thanks kneelingatlas thats good to know might have to chop up a different one at some point i sure wish someone would come out and make a threaded CZ major comp.

Ive thought about trying to open some of the ports up to bleed off more gas.

Can't you get a czechmate comp ( barrel and comp ) fitted ?

Can't you get a czechmate comp ( barrel and comp ) fitted ?

I did consider just running the small frame lower with a TS upper as the sp-01/ TS combo looks really cool but didn't like the idea of the Czechmate comp being designed around 40S&W on a 9mm major gun. Tho there are no comp designed for my current setup I can change to anything threaded to 1/2x28tpi with a little work if anyone has a recommendation for a comp that would work better and fit the slide profile I'm all ears.