Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What devise is best for PractiScore?

9x45

Ipad, Iphone, Android/Windows tablet, Android phone, Kindle or NooK? Seems like the phones run out of juice before the match is over. We are using Kindles at Norco Running Gun, plenty of juice, easy to read, syncs up quickly. What's your guys experience?

Been using a Gen 2 iPad as the master and Nook NSTs for the squads for the last 2-3 years. This year upgraded to refurbished iPad Gen 2s all around. So far so good. We'll see how it goes in the bright sunlight of summer but the Nooks are a PITA in the cold and when it rains.

Nooks are too frustrating if you have fine dust, will lock them down until you wipe the screen thoroughly. Otherwise they are alright if you can't score a deal on Kindles.

Kindles work very well in the bright sun for us. Our ROs also sync their phones as backups in case we have a device go down.

I use a Kindle Fire for registration and nooks for squads. I like the Kindle but battery life can be an issue.

I just got an Ellipsis 8 that I'm going to try at the range. It works as its own hotspot instead of needing a separate router.

I understand the power loss issue with full color screen devices but I have always had just a hell of a time trying to score with kindle e-ink screens in the past. We use them the majority of the time at the clubs j shoot at and the delay between tapping in the hits and them populating on the screen can get pretty frustrating. Especially when corrections are in order. I think my favorite scoring devices have been android tablets thus far. I'm sure if Bluetooth and wifi was turned off throughout the match and turned back on when time to sync, you could do much better with battery life.

Our matches rarely run over 5 hrs but the NSTs still have 1/2 their battery life when we're done. I know some people seem to have issues with Nooks but they are not indestructible military grade hardware. These electronic devices need a small amount of TLC to do well. Keeping them out the direct sun when not in use, protected from blowing dust storms or not throwing them in the nearby water hole doesn't seem unreasonable to keep these electronic devices cranking along ....

iPad minis are probably a nice high end alternative to Nooks but most clubs aren't rolling in cash like Zach's :) so $30 Nooks are the way to go ...

I noticed my Kindle Fire still had 65% battery life after a 5.5 hour match and 1 hour drive home. It's much faster to input scores on the new one and links/syncs faster also.

We have never experienced these 'slow processor' issues people keep referring to .... which Nooks do you folks who do, have?

I don't think it's the processor, I think it's just the screen refresh rate. You get used to it. as 2morechains posted above, we eventually found the nooks to be getting too unreliable, but we were using them for 8-10 steel matches a month for a couple seasons. The problems seemed to be with the touchscreens.