Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weekend Warriors

Jake Di Vita

Ok at a match I was recently at, the squad ahead of us was all totally decked out. By decked out I mean Combat boots, fatigues (read full camoflauge), and shirts that read on the back "If you are looking for a fight - you found one" with a picture of them with shouldered rifles.

Pardon my language but WTF. There is a real good image for USPSA....a bunch of bonehead idiots trying to look like hard asses. I heard from someone they were cops.....I really don't care....put off that tough guy image on the job....or better yet wear that get-up in downtown Detroit and see how long you last. That shit don't belong on the USPSA range, all it does is give the sport and everyone that shoots it a bad image.

:angry::angry:<_<

I really hate people who don't think.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok at a match I was recently at, the squad ahead of us was all totally decked out.  By decked out I mean Combat boots, fatigues (read full camoflauge), and shirts that read on the back "If you are looking for a fight - you found one" with a picture of them with shouldered rifles.

Pardon my language but WTF. There is a real good image for USPSA....a bunch of bonehead idiots trying to look like hard asses. I heard from someone they were cops.....I really don't care....put off that tough guy image on the job....or better yet wear that get-up in downtown Detroit and see how long you last. That shit don't belong on the USPSA range, all it does is give the sport and everyone that shoots it a bad image.

:angry:  :angry:  <_<

I really hate people who don't think.

Jake

Tell them next time they are DQ'd. 10.6.1 "any behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute."

I also know there is something in the rule book about Camo. I didn't look too hard for it.

I understand the group in question was the local DOE security force for the Savannah River Nuclear facility. They were all dressed the same, as described above, all used their duty gear, and shot their duty weapons. While I feel some consideration should be given to unit comaraderie and cohesiveness, rules are rules and they certainly broke them. I don't know if allowances were given based on who they were and that they were local, or if it was a complete oversight specific to the application of rules for a sanctioned match.

The local SWAT team shoots with us in their full gear about 3-4 times a year. It is the same gear they use in their competitions. One of them shoots with us every month, minus the gear. We have been supportive of this, and we gain 13 match fees every time they come. They are great guys.

In the past, we have always talked politely and quietly with the occasional camo clad shooter about not showing up in their casual wear, and it has never been a problem.

We also have an active duty DS who occasionally shoots with us and comes from work and has to return to work. He also gets a pass on his BDUs, but he doesn't wear them otherwise.

I understand why the rule is in place, and I agree with it. I also think there are local match exceptions that are made in the interest of supporting our LE and Military. We just need to make sure the gun store commandos know why without being confrontational, I would hate for them to bayonet me to death. :ph34r:

I understand why the rule is in place, and I agree with it.  I also think there are local match exceptions that are made in the interest of supporting our LE and Military.  We just need to make sure the gun store commandos know why without being confrontational, I would hate for them to bayonet me to death. :ph34r:

That is just too reasonable for a rule Mike. :P

5.3.1 Apppropriate Dress

The use of camoflauge or other similar types of military or police garments is discouraged. The exception is competitors who are law enforcement or military personnel. The Match Director will be the final authority in respect of what garments competitors are allowed to wear.

"Maybe they were going to a gunshow after the match."
LOL...!

Well, actually I went to a gunshow this past weekend (and bought a gun, too) and I hadn't seen that clean-cut a crowd in a long time. Well, not since the last local gun show. Maybe it's because this is NOT a major metro area and the incidence of mall ninja (or their ilk) is uncommon.

On the other hand, I think their shirt message royally sucked. They were OK until they did THAT. <_<

all used their duty gear, and shot their duty weapons

..Something tells me the "looking for a fight" garments aren't part of their duty uniform? I see no problem with competing in uniform, as long as it's the official uniform and not some hokey bastardization thereof.

Who cares what they wear, it ain't no fashion show. Could they shoot!!!!! Little Espirit de Corps is fine with me.

Polictically correct got us the shit were in now. Speak out! Dissent is an American right!

You don't have to like me, just don't screw with me!

Who cares what they wear, it ain't no fashion show. Could they shoot!!!!! Little Espirit de Corps is fine with me.

Polictically correct got us the shit were in now. Speak out! Dissent is an American right!

You don't have to like me, just don't screw with me!

I beg to disagree.

If you want to play someone else's game, at least comply with his rules... ;)

I'm glad you disagree, and I guess you mean 5.3.1 Apppropriate Dress

Some fat guy wears his pants to low and shows way to much crack.

Buts lets change the circumstances some. Some women shows up too shoot and exposes enough to offend other lady shooters. WailTail, same thing isn't it. What should you do?

Let it go. But if you view shooting as a social club then by all means screen your members. Chase off all that don't conform.

I've seen so many clubs fail because they become clicks. Be tolerant.

If there safe, cordial, and help what else is needed.

cking

I am with Sky on this one.....I agree that there are too many politically correct responses that we have to live with, but the sport does not need any of that kind of thing...it just reinforces the evil connotation that some have of guns and the shooting sports...and we should all try to put this and other shooting sports in the best light we can, both thru our actions and words....

Even long ago at the inception of the sport, we discouraged those that showed up to shoot with camo and T shirts that said....I just kill 'em...let God sort 'em out..or something equally stupid or insipid...

I don;t personally think the attitude of shooters has changed a great deal from 1978 when I shot my first match to today...the mall ninjas and black ops guys still don't get the fact that even though we are an action shooting sport, you can create good will and positive influence by your dress, actions and words...

I hope Mr. Cking, that I have not offended you, but there is a time and place for everything, and showing up at someone else's match dressed like that is inappropriate and disresepectful....Just my .02 worth.... ;)

Naw you haven't offended me. I agree that most people who wear that kind of stuff are probably idiots, but I won't prejudge them. Usually I make of point of engaging them in some conversation to see.

However I also seen a lot of idiots that look fine on surface.

The point I disagree on is that way we dress is going to put shooting in a good light. People who are antigun aren't using logic, but emotion.

politicians all dress nice, look nice, and speak nice. But I won't bend over to pick up the soap around them.

I believe we are encouraging this kind of stereotypical behavior by saying you must look like me to be able to join my group. Dig a little deeper, observe before you draw conclusions.

Most people not all people will generally conform with group they wish to associate with. But some of most fun people I've met like to do outrageous stuff just to chaff at tightass people. Nothing harmful or dangerous, by they may dress, or say things just to ruffle you feathers.

Just like some of good old boys I know still use the NIg@# word, but when you get to know them. There kids are out playing, they are over eat diner at each other houses. Hell they call each other Ni@@ and cracker. But they are not prejudice. But alot of people who would never use that word would never go that far or be that fair.

So its good we can disagree.

When I grew up....we used to call what you describe as being a little rough around the edges...that you had a good heart and good intentions, but just did not know any better...guess that is still the case.... :) ...in some instances anyway....or maybe they just don't care that they might be offending someone... :(