Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New load passes plunk test but not case gauge?

joshxdm9

I am in the process of working up a new minor load for an open Glock. I figured out how long I could go and still fit in the glock mags 1.155 now that I know it will fit in the mags I try the plunk test and works great. So after setting my crimp die I load a few with now powder or primer and try to case gauge them to find out they will not case gauge???

I am using an everglade 115gr jacketed hollow point bullet with similar profile of Montana gold bullet. I throw a few of my current minor load bayou 124gr round nose loaded out to 1.160 and the gauge great.

I am thinking that it is the profile of the bullet and am figuring that if it passes the plunk test I'm good to go??

I will post a couple pics

I am confused did you "plunk" test them in the Glock barrel? If the Glock is the intended gun for the new load why not test them in that gun? The case gauge will let you know if they are SAMMI spec for length and OAL (provided your case gauge is set up to SAMMI spec). A lot of shooters deviate from SAMMI spec a bit in order to achieve the most reliable performance of their load in their gun.

A case gauge is probably tighter than your chamber. The good news is that the round only needs to fit your chamber, not the chamber gauge.

This is what I figured that as long as it will plunk test in the barrel I plan to run it threw I would be good.

If I low the oal it will case gauge but I have to get it seated down just below 1.1 to get it there. I am trying to load long to use a slower powder 3n38 to work the comp so I need all the case I can get

are u worried the round is too long in the case gauge?? that is just the sammi spec oal.

Plunk test and case gauging are two different things IMO.

What further muddies the water is there are many that find their barrel to be an acceptable case gauge. I'm not one of those people. Most of the rounds that fail my case gauge would still pass if I was using my barrel.

Plunk testing simply tells you what your max oal can be with a particular bullet and that particular barrel. If your barrel has a long throat, it's possible to load well out past spec for whatever reason.

Case gauges are essentially a go/no go gauge that are generally tighter than most factory barrels. The primary goal of the case gauge is to determine whether your ammo will chamber due to case size dimensions.

D_striker, I understand your use of the case gauge as a go/no go, but what is the downside to using only the barrel?

In my limited gun I always used the chamber as my case gauge and never had issues, meanwhile a full half of those same rounds would not pass case gauging. Never had an issue.

If the goal is to make sure your rounds work in the particular gun you're going to using the rounds in, what's the downside to just using the barrel?

The chamber you're shooting them in is the only case gauge that's relevant. You're effectively saying "This ammo works fine in my pistol, but I'm not sure if I should shoot it."

Shoot it. It's fine. How your paperweight case gauge feels about the cartridge is irrelevant.

Using the barrel from your firearm won't identify problems with the case rim. I've seen case rims that were slightly enlarged to the point that they wouldn't enter the breech face in the slide. A gauge will identify that problem where the barrel will not. Not a common issue, but it will make for a bad day if it happens. I also have better luck finding mangled case rims that may hang up on the extractor using a gauge.

D_striker, I understand your use of the case gauge as a go/no go, but what is the downside to using only the barrel?

In my limited gun I always used the chamber as my case gauge and never had issues, meanwhile a full half of those same rounds would not pass case gauging. Never had an issue.

If the goal is to make sure your rounds work in the particular gun you're going to using the rounds in, what's the downside to just using the barrel?

The downside is that using your barrel is testing to a looser tolerance.

I'm not saying it's wrong for you to do it. I'm saying it's not part of my "good manufacturing practices" when it comes to QC on my reloaded ammo. I have very high standards.

Edited by d_striker

Using the barrel from your firearm won't identify problems with the case rim. I've seen case rims that were slightly enlarged to the point that they wouldn't enter the breech face in the slide. A gauge will identify that problem where the barrel will not. Not a common issue, but it will make for a bad day if it happens. I also have better luck finding mangled case rims that may hang up on the extractor using a gauge.

Yup. I'd say about 70% of my CG failures is from the case rim.

The EGW gauge is very sensitive to bullet profile and OAL so it may be useless for your chosen load and you'll just have to use your barrel, or a different gauge.

Is there another gauge that will work with that profile bullet?

The EGW gauge is very sensitive to bullet profile and OAL so it may be useless for your chosen load and you'll just have to use your barrel, or a different gauge.

Do you have a bullet comparator gauge by any chance? If so I could at least tell you if that oal works in my Dillon case gauge.

The EGW is the only one I have for 9mm. I think the Dillon is more forgiving for OAL and maybe the shock bottle, but I'm not sure.