Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun or Multigun with Revolver?

Blueridge

Anyone shoot a revolver in a 3-gun or multigun match at any level?

There was a 3-gun match locally this past weekend that I decided to just have fun and use a S&W 625 along with a pump shotgun and a RRA AR-15. Had fun and did pretty good, which was my goal. I just wondered with the S&W 929 being in the hands of a number of competitors, if any of them (or anyone else) used a revolver in such matches.

Not gonna see it much becuase of numerous issues that would arise in an average 3Gun match. Say you need 18-20 rds of pistol on a stage with a bunch of steel. That's one extra magazine in most hi-cap pistols. For a revo shooter, it would be 3-4 extra speedloaders/moonclips. Most folk carry those in front, but with many shotgun shell caddies, you need that real estate on your belt for shotshells. Wouldn't want to go prone on moon clips. Extra reloads. Nobody is saying that you can't do it or that it can't be done, but few would be competitive with it. Now, in Heavy Metal, many rulesets allow .44/.45 calibers and 8rd capacity. Your pump gun and 625 and a .308 rifle would be much less disadvantaged.

Cowboy action is 3 gun! Lol

That's just what I was thinking.

DA revolvers are the stepchild.

We need a gimmick, like "Pre-90s Police Action Shooting". DA revolver, pump shotgun, semi-auto carbine.

CAS looks fun, but I just cannot persuade myself to dress up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could still have targets that require aiming at various distances. Cowboy action lacks that. Of course we wouldn't have to play dress up either.
I'm confused. I thought I had a firm grasp of CAS from all 154 seconds of video footage I've seen, but now you tell me they don't need to aim?

You could still have targets that require aiming at various distances. Cowboy action lacks that. Of course we wouldn't have to play dress up either.
I'm confused. I thought I had a firm grasp of CAS from all 154 seconds of video footage I've seen, but now you tell me they don't need to aim?

Did you see how big and close the targets were? :)

Thanks for all of the replies. They were pretty much what I expected, but with the 8 shot revolver coming out I figured that I would ask.

I had fun at the match, and did not come in last (there were 15 people behind me, and that was from the overall results ;) ). It was fun and I may do it again sometime. It was all about having fun and using what I had, with of course the goal to finish ahead of as many as I could.

With all of the chest shotgun shell rigs and other belt and leg setups, it seems to me that a 3-gun shooter can make space for whatever they need.

Edited by Blueridge

An ICORE based multigun event with just revolvers, pump shotguns and bolt or lever action rifles would be fun. It wouldn't have to have the high round counts that many 3gun matches do especially for the rifle.

I'd be down with that, except it's a 4-hour drive to the nearest ICORE match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but with the 8 shot revolver coming out I figured that I would ask.

you know something we dont?

8 shot revolvers have been around for a long while.

Okay, let me clarify. With 8 shot revolvers being allowed in USPSA competition, and being able to use same without the prior restrictions. I thought that with the number of 8 shot revolvers coming into more regular use in competition due to that, someone might have decided to wield one in 3-gun competition.

Edited by Blueridge

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, it's 4 gun!
And you have to aim or else you look really stupid getting a five second penalty for missing a huge target up close! Depending on barrel length and bullet weight you can really dial up a combination that indexes very well, but you should still aim.

You should also put plenty of powder in the cases. You want a definite ring when you make a hit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...