Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is Ultrasonic cleaning safe?

bzt

I recently bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I purchased it mainly for cleaning of small engine parts, but I purchased an ultrasonic handgun cleaning kit along with it. I did a lot of research beforehand, on what the proper procedures are for cleaning handguns. Solutions designed for firearms are alkaline based, and are kind to firearm finishes, if cleaning cycles are of no more than 5-10 minutes, and parts are not allowed to soak for long periods of time. Night sights and FO sights are not normally affected. Neither are polymer frames, although many prefer to leave them out of the cleaner, and just do the metal parts. I have done some small aluminum parts, with no issues. It all depends on which solution you are using, and how long you leave it in, I guess. Finishes that are sprayed on, and not baked are most at risk. Having a heated tank, or adding hot tap water will improve cleaning efficiency. 130-140 degrees is usually enough, although some like to go higher. Wood grips need to be removed beforehand, but removing synthetic material grips is optional. I remove them all anyway.

It is recommended that handguns be field stripped, and have excessive crud, oil and grease wiped off beforehand, so the cleaning solvent will be contaminated less, and last for more cleanings. The openings on all the submersed parts should be facing downward if possible. This allows the dirt someplace to go, and will accumulate at the bottom of the tank. You can pour the solvent through a cheesecloth afterwards, to filter out much of the crud. There are oil diapers made, that will only absorb oil. The cheesecloth treatment and putting a piece of the diaper, on top of the solvent will prolong the life of the solvent also.

An oil bath is necessiary after cleaning, as all oils are removed from the metal pores, and rust will start shortly. Dipping in a tank of rust preventative oil is what is usually done, but it is a little messy. Spraying WD40, or other spray oil on the parts works also.

Ultrasonic cleaning will not remove leading or copper fouling in my experience. Although I have not tried it yet, I have been told that a Dawn dishwashing liquid, and water mix, can be used as an ultrasonic cleaner solution for degreasing. Although not as efficient as the patent solutions, it is very gentle and biodegradable, and is supposed to work decently.

Edited by GBertolet

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is definitely faster to clean the gun parts manually, than ultrasonicly, but you will not get them as clean, as the ultrasonics will, especially the crevices in the slides and frames, and other intricate parts. Probably, using the ultrasonics, after a specified number of regular cleanings, and at the shooting seasons end, would be more worthwhile endeavor.

• 2 months later...

My Glocks have held up well in the US, the finish on my Dawson sights didn't survive the first bath. 

As previously mentioned, you need to be careful with bluing as I learned on my STI shorting after picking it up 2nd hand (They went in the same color and this is how they came out....)

STI Eagle US Finish.jpg

Covid prevented me from competing last year, so I spent most of my time playing with / building AR's and Form 1 suppressors.  Suppressed AR's get super dirty, super quick, so I bought an ultrasonic unit to clean BCG's.  A bit of a traditional solvent splash (Hoppes) and a toothbrush, followed by a 15 minute buzz works well and saves me a ton of time.  Also nice for cleaning suppressor baffles.

TBH, I never even considered using the ultrasonic on my handguns, except perhaps for an annual or semiannual full cleanse, when I completely disassemble the gun.  A good cleaning will strip any lubricant you've carefully placed on the fire control group and would need to be replenished, which is tough without taking the gun apart.  The other exception would be an Open gun barrel...I hate cleaning gobs of powder fouling out of comps.

I do alot of bright work and the parts get loaded up with compound. I use a 50/50 mixture of water and mean green ( dollar general). the most time i used the ultrasonic is 5-10 minutes. if it takes more time than that...you have a non-functioning US. it doesn't have to be a top dollar machine, i got my 7 litre on ebay for like 175.00 . 

Never use Simple Green on aluminum, or any other home made solutions on your gun, unless you are a chemist. Most of the commercially made gun solvent solutions are safe, if used following directions. The danger lies, if you leave your gun immersed, for long periods. 5-10 minutes is enough. Generally alkaline solutions are considered safest for guns. Non baked on finishes are most at risk. I have found that Dawn dishwashing detergent is one of the safest to use. Not the most efficient, but it works. If there is any doubt about the finish on your gun, contact your gun manufacturer and ask.

Here is a link to an article, that you might find useful.  http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2205

On 1/18/2021 at 2:58 PM, Bfrisk72 said:

My Glocks have held up well in the US, the finish on my Dawson sights didn't survive the first bath. 

As previously mentioned, you need to be careful with bluing as I learned on my STI shorting after picking it up 2nd hand (They went in the same color and this is how they came out....)

What are you using for fluid?  I dump slides with Dawson sights into mine all the time with zero issues.  I run the Lyman cleaner concentrate.

11 hours ago, shred said:

What are you using for fluid?  I dump slides with Dawson sights into mine all the time with zero issues.  I run the Lyman cleaner concentrate.

mostly I've used the Hornaday cleaner diluted per instructions with distilled water.

Any good CLP applied to a decently cleaned gun will continue to clean the guns microscopic pores while it's sitting in the safe better than any ultrasonic can dream of. Try it. Scrub your gun like a dirty dirty child until it's pristine enough to attend sunday school, apply CLP, wait a week, run a clean white cloth over it and be amazed at the dirt that wipes off.

I chuck a lot of my stripped guns in the dishwasher. Leave the heated drying cycle off. Works like magic. Would not recommend for finely blued pieces but for stainless/chrome/plastic/DVC/Etc. it's easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Having to rough clean then ultrasonic then clean the solution off (plus worries of finish damage), not to mention the extra cost for the ultrasonic cleaner and solution sounds like difficult difficult lemon difficult.