Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is Ultrasonic cleaning safe?

bzt

Why not use a solution that was designed to clean in the ultrasonic? Hornady makes one for brass and one for gun parts. It's concentrated and I mix it with distilled water. Seems like you guys are trying to re-invent the wheel. They've already done the research.http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Shot-Sonic-Clean-Solution/dp/B003O1US7C

Edited by Bkreutz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For one thing, it says "For use with Hornady Lock-N-Load cleaner." I have to take them at their word, at least until I hear otherwise. It only works with a Hornady sonic cleaner.

The reviews I see on the commercial brass-cleaning solutions are uniformly pretty bad. That's the primary reason I think this technology is still developing. Even on that link, there's a review where a guy says "I compared it to lemon juice and it worked just as well." I've seen quite a number of reviews of commercial cleaning solutions exactly like that.

Yeah, quite serious. Now, I wouldn't really expect it to be different but when the manufacturer implies it's specific to his machine, I have to assume it means exactly that. Not something I'm gonna spend $30 on unless somebody here or somewhere says it works fine in his non-Hornady cleaner. Too bad they don't give test samples away in 1-oz bottles or something.

So noted, RePete.

Depriming really is necessary before you sonic clean brass. It makes a HUGE difference. That said, before you drop the coin on a sonic cleaner, I would look hard at wet media tumbling first. I went sonic off the bat and wish I would have done wet media first. It would have saved me some cash. I don't mind cleaning guns, and I actually prefer a sorta dirty gun over a spotless one. One problem with sonic is that it really does remove ALL of the oils out of the gun, leaving the pores of the metal dry. You need to be quick to get it dried off and oiled or parts will rust in a hurry.

Yeah, quite serious. Now, I wouldn't really expect it to be different but when the manufacturer implies it's specific to his machine, I have to assume it means exactly that. Not something I'm gonna spend $30 on unless somebody here or somewhere says it works fine in his non-Hornady cleaner. Too bad they don't give test samples away in 1-oz bottles or something.

So noted, RePete.

I used hornady juice in my brothers Lyman and it worked just like it does in my hornady LnL sonic cleaner. No fire, no explosions, no mutations, to nutin :ph34r:

So noted, RePete.

I used hornady juice in my brothers Lyman and it worked just like it does in my hornady LnL sonic cleaner. No fire, no explosions, no mutations, to nutin :ph34r:

Got it, thanks.

I haven't cleaned many gun parts I'm my ultra sonic cleaner (harbor freight)with much success but I have used it successfully to clean brass using a 50/50 mix of white vinagar and water with good results. After which I would rince with water and put back in the ultra sonic with 100% water. I experimented with other solutions but none of them worked any better for the dollars I spent. The gun parts I tried to clean with it didn't come very clean but to be honest I didn't experiment with it very much.

I don't know if what I did was right or wrong but that's my experience and for what it's worth I now clean my brass with a vibratory tumbler and corn cob media.

Citric acid in an ultrasonic will clean your brass to sparkling like new appearance. It is frequently used for canning and in other cooking. Most grocery stores will have it but you can buy a large quantity from various on-line sources cheaper.

De-prime, clean, rinse well in very hot tap water and spread the cases out to air dry. I use the little mesh bags that vegetables come in (potatoes, etc). The bags are a little like fine fish nets. Suspend the back in the US and be sure nothing is touching the bottom or sides. 15 minutes does it.

When dry, give them a brief tumble in a vibratory cleaner with a little liquid car wax on the tumbling media (be sure it does not contain any ammonia). One popular brand is Nu Finish, IIRC. Now they are shiny and slick. Or skip that last part and apply One-Shot or similar before sizing.

Some applied finishes, and fiber optics may not survive in an US cleaner. The cleaning solution is NOT specific to one brand and there are lots of choices. In most cases, the cleaning solution is water based which requires drying, or a dip or aerosol water dispersant. While the small nooks and crannies get cleaned, most water based solutions lack the suspension to carry the particulates away, thus leaving a pocket of fouling mud which can be worse than just dirty.

I have been using the new Lucas Oil Bore Solvent, which is also US safe. It is petroleum based and holds the particulate in suspension. It does not need a dry or water dispersant. Like the other Lucas products, it is pretty amazing. I have used it in heated and non-heated both. It has made my use of the US significantly faster and easier.

Citric acid in an ultrasonic will clean your brass to sparkling like new appearance. It is frequently used for canning and in other cooking. Most grocery stores will have it but you can buy a large quantity from various on-line sources cheaper.

De-prime, clean, rinse well in very hot tap water and spread the cases out to air dry. I use the little mesh bags that vegetables come in (potatoes, etc). The bags are a little like fine fish nets. Suspend the back in the US and be sure nothing is touching the bottom or sides. 15 minutes does it.

When dry, give them a brief tumble in a vibratory cleaner with a little liquid car wax on the tumbling media (be sure it does not contain any ammonia). One popular brand is Nu Finish, IIRC. Now they are shiny and slick. Or skip that last part and apply One-Shot or similar before sizing.

What concentration? How much citric acid in how much water?

De-prime, clean, rinse well in very hot tap water and spread the cases out to air dry. I use the little mesh bags that vegetables come in (potatoes, etc). The bags are a little like fine fish nets. Suspend the bag in the US and be sure nothing is touching the bottom or sides. 15 minutes does it.

What concentration? How much citric acid in how much water?

Maybe 6 to 8 heaping table spoons to a gallon of hot water. The mix will work for multiple runs of brass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reviving and trying to bring back on track! How well does ultrasonic cleaners work on cleaning guns? I just bought the 9 liter Hornady to use cleaning firearms. Hornady says their formula is safe for all materials. So, is it safe to drop my S&W 500 in? How about my S&W 41? And what about after the cleaning process - flushing, drying and lubing? Inquiring minds want to know! The Hornady video looks very convincing but fails to go into a lot of detail to answer the "what do I do after" questions, except to say dry it off and spray with One Shot.

Yes, with the Hornady formula, you will be fine. Take off the wood and plastic first and disassemble parts.

When you are finished, you have a few choices. Blow out really good with air, stick in a dehydrator for a few hours, or oven on warm with door open, or a water dispersion dip. If you don't get the water out/off, you have other issues. If you are in a very dry climate, you can just set the parts on a towel for a day and let them air dry.

I have gone to the Lucas Bore Solvent. No dip needed, just wipe and assemble. I am getting much longer use out of it than I thought I would so the higher initial cost is mitigated. Very happy with it and it works better than anything else I have tried.

Mark,

Does the solution have to be replaced after each run or is it just dependent of how fouled the solution is?

Looking at this as an alternative to just hosing my 2011 with Hornady One Shot over a trash barrel.

The particulates settle out in a few hours, 24 hours and almost clear. I tried with filtering it, but just styling is enough. I have used the original over 40 times so far.

• 4 years later...

is Ultrasonic cleaning safe?

...on Cerakoted aluminum frames?  I believe naked pure aluminum is verboten; this a Cerakoated SA lightweight Government frame made of some alloy. Cleaning solution is Lyman Products Turbo Sonic Gun Parts Concentrate diluted 1:20.