Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

I've seen PPQ's in the mid to upper $400's lately. I don't recall seeing them that cheap when they first came out. However, you're probably right about the Q5. At the very least, it will be a couple of years before there is a substantial drop in price, if at all.

Wow really? In the mid 4's?

I got rid of my ppq's over a year ago and kind of regreted selling them. Might be a good time to grab one! The market is over saturated with guns...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I saw them on sale at a LGS for $459 a month or two back. I could be misremembering that price (since I was only looking for a 5" and it wasn't on sale), but I know that Osage County Guns is selling them for $499 right now on gunbroker.

I swear I saw them on sale at a LGS for $459 a month or two back. I could be misremembering that price (since I was only looking for a 5" and it wasn't on sale), but I know that Osage County Guns is selling them for $499 right now on gunbroker.

wrong gun

wrong gun

What's the "wrong gun"? I was responding to the comment about seeing PPQ's for mid to high $400s. I wasn't talking about the Q5 if that's what you're saying.

wrong gun

What's the "wrong gun"? I was responding to the comment about seeing PPQ's for mid to high $400s. I wasn't talking about the Q5 if that's what you're saying.

It was. Fail to see the topic?

It wasn't. Fail to read the whole thread? I can't believe I am doing this.

First this:

They are new and a low volume make / model. I would suspect that over time the price would come down.

I doubt it will come down much. I bought a ppq m2 and a navy when they first came out and they look like they are about the same price today. Walthers have always been a bit pricey.

To which I said this:

I've seen PPQ's in the mid to upper $400's lately. I don't recall seeing them that cheap when they first came out. However, you're probably right about the Q5. At the very least, it will be a couple of years before there is a substantial drop in price, if at all.

To which he said this:

I got rid of my ppq's over a year ago and kind of regreted selling them. Might be a good time to grab one! The market is over saturated with guns...

To which I said this:

Seems pretty clear to me. Not sure why the snarky comment was needed.

Unfortunately Walther and Grand Power with likely never make a dent in any significant numbers in our sport, so it's unlikely to see much support beyond factory and fringe manufacturing. I do applaud them for thinking outside the box though.

A few years ago I'd have agreed, but not lately, especially with Walther.

Taran Basepads, Apex Trigger Kit, not exactly fringe aftermarket support. Sponsoring Area 4 the last couple of years, and offering some sponsorship to other clubs and matches. Back in 2012 when I started with a PPQ, there were a couple of us in Northern Illinois who shot them with any regularity. I ditched the platform not long after, but I see more and more of them at matches. These days it doesn't shock me to see three or four at a club match of 65-70 shooters.

Is that significant? Not in the CZ/Glock way, but in a few years, with them concentrating on Production Optics, I can see them carving out a pretty decent niche. Again, no way it'll ever be a "premier" choice for competitive shooters, but it definitely has a growing following, and an awful lot of people sure seem to like them once they put a few rounds downrange.

To me the plenary question is whether the Apex trigger is installed on the new gun thus rendering the Apex trigger legal for production. Does anyone have that answer?

If the trigger is a factory option and the gun is registered with USPSA, the trigger is legal for that gun. Does not make it legal on any gun for Production

I understand the rules. My question is whether the Apex trigger is installed on the new gun as it comes from the factory

Sorry, I started responding to this before I actually saw that I wasn't at the end of the thread. My bad...

Edited by Randy Lee

It wasn't. Fail to read the whole thread? I can't believe I am doing this.

First this:

They are new and a low volume make / model. I would suspect that over time the price would come down.

I doubt it will come down much. I bought a ppq m2 and a navy when they first came out and they look like they are about the same price today. Walthers have always been a bit pricey.

To which I said this:

To which he said this:

To which I said this:

Seems pretty clear to me. Not sure why the snarky comment was needed.

Not necessary, I agree. The thread was about the particular firearm, though

The real issue was the fact that my thumb knuckle hit the corner of beavertail area (in the same way that MAC on youtube complains about the Ruger American). It was noticeable just holding the gun for 2 minutes that I'm sure it would be a major problem after a few hundred rounds (or likely many less than that) in a session.

I'm thinking this changes with the particular backstrap you have installed. I have a 5" PPQ, and I never noticed it through the first ~500 hundred rounds with the medium backstrap. I thought it felt a little small, so I tried the large backstrap at our last SC match. I got a blister just above my right hand thumb knuckle. I'm going back to the medium to see if I can make it work.

b52b557deb005f84aa931b33a5163449.jpg

I have callous's just above my thumb knuckle from shooting. It's not from a ppq it's just from gripping a handgun. Is that where your's is rubbing?

Not quite. Mine is a little closer to the knuckle.

20160614_171710_zpscfpcpfdj.jpg

I have never gotten a blister there in 8 years of shooting Sigs in USPSA.

^^^

This is exactly where I feel it when I hold the pistol. It's also what I figured would happen if I put any substantial number of rounds through the pistol, which is why I didn't even consider buying it after dry-firing it at the store. The pistol I tried had the medium grip. I suppose that going to a larger grip would make it worse (or at least, not make it any better). I usually need to put the largest backstrap on every pistol I buy or I don't have room to have my support hand make any contact with the grip.

Back when I primarily shot revolvers, I would shave down the wood grip on the side where it would contact my knuckle. If I didn't (or if I shot a high PF load through a wheelgun with rubber grips), I would see that same missing skin. I find myself subconsciously rotating the gun around in my hand which causes me to push shots to the left.

It must be something about the anatomy of my hand. It happens with a number of different guns if I shoot a ton of rounds or if they are heavily recoiling... usually not the skin / blister, but a lot of soreness in the knuckle area. It's just that it is much worse with certain guns. I could tell right away that the PPQ would be one of them.

I've been looking at the PPQ 5" but I'm concerned with the huge slide release lever. Does anyone find themselves riding it, or worse, knocking it upwards and prematurely locking the slide back? There are also some issues I see with the frame but that slide release lever is my biggest concern.

Amazingly, my experience with this pistol nets zero problem with this. I was concerned at first as well. I have a high thumb hold on the pistol and I have yet to have any issues with this.

I've been looking at the PPQ 5" but I'm concerned with the huge slide release lever. Does anyone find themselves riding it, or worse, knocking it upwards and prematurely locking the slide back? There are also some issues I see with the frame but that slide release lever is my biggest concern.

Amazingly, my experience with this pistol nets zero problem with this. I was concerned at first as well. I have a high thumb hold on the pistol and I have yet to have any issues with this.

Yeah this is my main fear regarding the PPQ- I like virtually everything else about it excluding the weird parts of the frame especially on the M2 models. There are a lot of nice details on the 5" which I like, such as how they lightened the slide, the serrated top rib, the front cocking serrations, and above all, the trigger.

Do you mind showing your thumb position on the frame?

I don't have a problem with it. But then again, I've never had an issue with the slide catch lever on my 226 or X5 Allround, either. A lot of people have grips that cause the problems you are describing on those guns. I think the PPQ's lever is less obtrusive than Sig's.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the pistol just the other day and have not shot it. I am not an experienced shooter.

I mounted a Delta Point Pro atop, something the Q5 mounting system makes idiot proof. The pistol points naturally and finding the big 7.5 MOA delta from a draw is way easier than I anticipated as a result. The only way to cowitness is to install accessory rear irons for the Delta and then find an appropriately tall front sight. Other pistol sized optics, as far as I know, do not have this option. The optic mounting method is pretty slick; however, the optic mounts considerably higher vis-à-vis a milled slide (though likely a bit lower than a dovetail mount and are much easier to switch out). PPQs already sit somewhat high in the hand compared to a Glock or CZ.

The pistol seems more front heavy than the PPQ 5 and it is indeed heavier overall by an ounce or two. It is still a featherweight pistol. The Q5 barrel has polygonal rifling; I think the PPQ 5 is land and groove. The Q5 irons are lightyears ahead of the PPQ’s and are overall pretty good—an adjustable black rear and a fiber front. Another significant difference is that the magazine release on the Q5 is considerably stiffer than the stock PPQ, ostensibly to address complaints of accidental magazine drops. The Q5 trigger is more or less identical to the PPQ. It comes with 3 magazines and has a nice case designed to accommodate the optic plates, associated tools and the Q5 with optic attached.

For about $100 more than the PPQ 5”, already a great firearm, the Q5 is a nice value. The extra magazine is welcome, and while I prefer a Dawson set to the stock Q5, nonetheless they no longer are a must purchase. The option to mount a variety of optic brands is great and is the strongest selling point over the PPQ. If optics are not important, there really isn't anything it does better than the long slide PPQ with aftermarket irons.

Edited by HerfNDerf

I'm hoping to see one of these up close one day... I'm torn between this and the SIG320RX.

At the moment the Q5 is a rare sighting. Having never handled a P320, examine a PPQ long slide side by side with a P320. If the base versions don't work for you, the optic ready examples will be no different.

I'm hoping to see one of these up close one day... I'm torn between this and the SIG320RX.

At the moment the Q5 is a rare sighting. Having never handled a P320, examine a PPQ long slide side by side with a P320. If the base versions don't work for you, the optic ready examples will be no different.

This is definitely correct with regards to the Q5. Aside from the milled slide, a couple of holes, and a different color trigger, they are the same.