Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you shoot these?

AzShooter

After changing my press I noticed I had loaded some 9mm 147 gr. bullets at 1.14 OAL. I changed my seater for another bullet and went back and loaded some more 9mm and they came out 1.05 inches OAL.

Are these too short? Would you shoot them?

It's a light load of 2.9 grains of VhitaVhouri N 320. Max load listed is 3.9 grains.

Two%209mm%20cases.jpg

Edited by AzShooter

How many do you have? If it's less than 10 just pull them and reload. If it's more you have a tougher choice.

Fast powders with heavy bullets is actually a very high pressure combo. So even at 2.9gn it could be over pressure at 1.050. Up to you I guess...

If you have a few pull them.

If you made hundreds I'd make a few new ones with the same powder charge slowly working the length down and watching the primers.

If you see pressure signs before 1.050 stop and pull them all.

I loaded 200 before I noticed the difference.

They are Eggleston manufactoring bullets. I like the design and the fact that he has at least 10 different colors so I can match color to load data.

Looks like I'm going to spend the night pulling bullets. I'm scared they are over pressures so I really don't want to take a chance with them but there are too many to just throw away.

Someone suggested just one whack with the bullet pullet to get them longer and then reseat them on my press. I'm going to try that.

Oh never heard of Eggleston before. They local to us? I like the color :)

That bullet puller and reseating idea doesn't sound good. You'd likely loose neck tension and then could get setback when chambering, although if you're just using them in your revo maybe that'd be ok.

Don't some CZ shooters intentionally load that short? That is a pretty light load. I load N320 at 3.3gr with 147gr bullets at 1.14"

Since you are using a large frame revolver and that load seems really light, I would run two over a chrono and see where the velocities hit. If it was noticeably under the velocity listed for the max load and I saw no other over-pressure signs, I would likely shoot 10 of them and check the velocities. If all were acceptable, I would shoot the rest. otherwise... pull 'em.

Since you are using a large frame revolver and that load seems really light, I would run two over a chrono and see where the velocities hit. If it was noticeably under the velocity listed for the max load and I saw no other over-pressure signs, I would likely shoot 10 of them and check the velocities. If all were acceptable, I would shoot the rest. otherwise... pull 'em.

Same here.. They're most likely ok

That bullet puller and reseating idea doesn't sound good. You'd likely loose neck tension and then could get setback when chambering, although if you're just using them in your revo maybe that'd be ok.

Don't some CZ shooters intentionally load that short? That is a pretty light load. I load N320 at 3.3gr with 147gr bullets at 1.14"

They are in Colorado Springs. Very good coated bullets from what I hear.

As other suggested, run a few before pulling them all. Those are some bunny fart loads you have.

I've run 147gr down as far as 1.115 and noticed little to no difference between those and some 1.125 I had loaded over 2.8gr of Clays. No pressure signs.

They are in Colorado Springs. Very good coated bullets from what I hear.

Thanks. Was hoping there might be some local bullet mfg here that I wasn't aware of. Those do look interesting though.